How Much Does it Cost? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-12-2002, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if this is the best place to post this...but I'll try anyway...

I am looking at insurance options for my next pregnancy and since very few of the individual plans available in my area cover maternity, it looks like we may be footing the bill on our own.

So, how much does it cost? Are we talking $5000, $10000? More?

I want to deliver in a birthing center, not a hospital, so I know that will save us money. But how much?

This time around I'm using a midwife in a hospital and have great insurance, so it's all covered and I have nothing to compare it to...unfortunately, I'd have to keep my job to keep my insurance and that's not gonna happen. OK, I'm babbling.
#2 of 5 Old 08-12-2002, 11:21 PM

My friend just hired a lay midwife for $1200, for a homebirth. I believe my birth center birth, had we not had insurance, would've cost us around $3000. What about your partner's work? any insurance options there? Warmly, H.E.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#3 of 5 Old 08-13-2002, 03:50 AM

If you are at all interested in homebirth costs, there was a thread a few weeks ago in the Homebirth forum that discussed that.
I'm paying a CNM $3500 for all prenatal, birth, and post-partum care. That's the flat fee she charges for homebirth, clinic birth, or hospital birth (though of course the hospital would send its own bill). For the record, I think the fee is more than worth the kind of care we are getting.

Melanie
#4 of 5 Old 08-13-2002, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.

My husband is self-employed...and he's the only employee. So there's no insurance through his job. Individual plans are our only options...

A homebirth would be nice, but my husband would never go for it. It took a while to talk him into being comfortable using a midwife instead of an OB...of course now he loves the midwife and tells everyone he meets how wonderful she is. I'm already working on him in hopes of talking him into a birthing center next time...I'd never succeed with a home birth. But, I think the birthing center rates are reasonable and certainly worth the care you get.

Thanks again!
#5 of 5 Old 08-16-2002, 10:05 PM

I don't know the rules in Texas, but in California, all women who don't have health insurance have all their pre-natal expenses and birth paid for by medi-cal. I had a birth center birth with midwives and every penny was covered by them, while the women who had private insurance had to pay like $1000 out of pocket for their deductibles! I would have never been able to afford it if I'd had insurance! Call your local birth center and ask them about it.
Karen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page