life change - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2002, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm looking for advise on possible paths to becoming a midwife. I'm currently finishing up my PhD in chemistry but now realize that all aspects of pregnancy, childbirth education, and child birth make my blood surge with excitement. I cannot ignore the satisfaction I get from learning about this aspect of being a woman. While finish up my degree is like a slow torture, I devour any books I allow myself on childbirth.

I'd need to know how long it can take for me to become a midwife, perferably with some sort of certification and

if there are any international certifications for midwives... we are going to move to italy.

Should I get my training here or there?

THanks in advance for any information or advise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2002, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check out midwiferytoday.com They have a forum board that includes an international forum.

They also sell a book entitled "Pathways to Midwifery" (I think that is the correct title!) for about $30 that I personally think would be a great investment.

If you are permanently moving to Italy, you should perhaps hold off. Maybe become a doula, get some birthing experience, and then use that to help you get your midwifery degree/certification/whatever in Italy. I know if Germany, the nursing tract and midwifery tract are completely different. Here in the US, since I have my nursing degree, I could go on to graduate school and get my midwifery degree---it is a continuation of a nursing degree. In Germany, I would have to start completely over. Different countries have different models for training, and I would definately take that into consideration before you invest alot of time, money, and energy in a course of study.

Good luck with it all, though, and let us know how it turns out. I'm curious to hear about midwifery in Italy!!

User Tag List