Tail bone blocking birth canal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-14-2002, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother had me by c-section in 1978 and the reason was because her tail bone was blocking my passage.
She was in full blown labor with me but the doctor told her I was not coming out because of her tail bone blocking.

Has anyone heard of this? This doesn't sound right to me.:

Maybe her pelvic opening was small?
She's a very small woman.

If this "condition" really does exist I would appreciate any info anyone might have.
#2 of 4 Old 08-15-2002, 12:17 PM

Hi, Notamammayet,

Hmm. In 1978 as far as I know, the lithotomy position was used as a matter of course. This can prevent the tailbone from opening up, that is, hinging outwards, to allow passage. I do not know the situation as I was not there, and I don't think that a definitive answer can be given by anyone at this point.

When there is a c/birth for CPD (cephalopelvic disproportion), women VERY often go on to birth much larger babies.

I have, however, heard of "fixed" tailbones with the tailbone fused to the sacrum. In as much as I know, with a little "pop" the tailbone unattaches and hinges as it is meant.

Small women grow and birth babies the best of anyone. Without a lot of room to wiggle around and get stuck, babies know exactly how they can best fit through the pelvis. Think of it as an old-fashioned key in a lock. A small key does not fit as well. You wiggle it around and try to find out how it fits, but with a larger key, it automatically slides in perfectly.

Stephanie
#3 of 4 Old 08-15-2002, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know of someone who's tailbone blocked the baby's passage and she ended up with a c-section. She pushed in almost every position imaginable for 6 hours.
Since then I read in THE LABOR PROGRESS HANDBOOK by Penny Simkin and Ruth Ancheta that the tail bone can get in the way. If other positions don't work, ironically, the exaggerated lithotomy position my get it 'unstuck'. According to Simkin and Ancheta, this postion "May be beneficial....If the fetal head is 'stuck' and cannot pass between the pubic arch with the woman in other postions....Pulling the woman's knees toward her shoulders rotates her pelvis posteriorly, flattening the low back and moving her pubic arch up (toward the worman's head). This may allow the fetus to slip under the arch and continue its descent."
(They mention to use caution if the woman has an epidural.)
Unless your mom tried a variety of positions and was allowed to labor for an extended amount of time, you will not know if the C-section was necessary. She would have needed a lot of support and knowledgeable people to guide her. My guess is that in 1978 in a hospital setting, that was not the case.
I hope this helps.
#4 of 4 Old 08-15-2002, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the information.

I had to ask because I had never heard of this before and my mother has fears that I too will will end up with c-sections. Both my parents are afraid of me having a home birth,which I plan on doing when its my time.
Even my close friends are worried and think I should get my tail bone "looked into" to see if there are problems with its positioning.
Seems from what you all have said I won't really know until its time to birth my baby.
I am personally not too worried about it.

I just wish my mom could have had the support and knowledge that she needed back then.

Thank you again for the info.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page