Vitamin K and Eye Oiontment in TX - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-20-2002, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi-
So, are there any midwives in Texas that do not require the vitamin K shot and eye ointment at birht?
Our peditritian states that it is against the law not to- but the hopital states it does not require it and I cant find the law online.
Is the ped. trying to snow us?

I am also curious about your experiences with the two procedures.
Thanks
b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-20-2002, 01:08 AM

These decisions are some of the first one has to make as a parent. I have worked with midwives in both TX and in CA. I have seen babies with Vit K and eye ointment adminstered -= but, honestly, I have seen far more parents decline these options, AS IS THEIR RIGHT. LIkewise, you have the option to request Vit K and/or eye drops. Some folks want eye ointment but no Vit K or vis versa.

Unless there are strong and persuasive indications your child needs either of these medications, it is up to parents to become educated and make a choice. Peds, like most MDs, do have to worry about malpractice suits and tend to err on the side of caution.

Read what you can find on Vit K and eye ointment in back issues of Midwifer Today at www.midwifery today.com. Some folks have really strong feeling about putting foreign substance into a newborn's body, some figure if it's not that big a deal. Vit K is also available in an oral form - your midwife/MD can get it in a pill form, crush it between two spoons, add a little water to form a solution and have the baby swallow it. Some folks feels this is far less tramatic for mom and baby than an injection of Vit K.

Remember the choice is yours!

Kittyboo
#3 of 7 Old 08-20-2002, 01:55 AM

Hi! Actually, you can ask to sign a waiver. Midwives are required to administer those items by Texas law, but parents are allowed to decline almost anything, be it at home or hospital, if they sign a waiver...

The Lord bless you!
Zoie

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Godsbabycatchers
#4 of 7 Old 08-22-2002, 09:47 PM

I've birthed 3 babies in the Dallas area with CNMs or prof. midwives (2 birth center 1 homebirth) and declined vit K/eye drops with all of them. Sure the pediatrician was mad, butIhad research to supportmydecision and it's not their baby!
#5 of 7 Old 08-23-2002, 08:53 AM
Banned

My son was born in Tucson, AZ.
With a few midwives at a hospital.
We told them no Vit K, hep shot, eye stuff.
They have to listen to what you want.
My partner stayed with our son the whole time while I was resting.
I am a firm believer in that these things are unneccasary.
Stand up for your rights, don't let anyone push you around!
#6 of 7 Old 08-23-2002, 09:54 AM

We refused vit. k and eye ointment for our dd here in Austin. Just like everyone here is saying, all you have to do is sign a waiver. We didn't think either was necessary in our circumstances and our midwife agreed.
#7 of 7 Old 08-27-2002, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

My midwives are saying that they are OK if I decline- but that the peditrician has to be the one to give us the waiver.
I ahve yet to find a peditrician that can come to our hospital and will allow us to decline.

Actually, my midwife sorta pissed me off Monday, so we may just go ahead and max out a credit card for a homebirth.
Side note- the midwife said I would ahve to have antibotics if I went into labor before 38 weeks- just because they assume that the early labor was caused by bacteria/ staph (even if the tests said I was negative)
This was one of several samll things that has annoyed me about them- so we are looking for a homebirth.
It is a little scary to be in debt, with no hope of making more income anytime soon- but I think a homebirth would be worth it.

thanks all for the stories, support and advice
brenda

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page