Help! My back hurts!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-21-2002, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can any one reccommend some good back exercises? My lower back hurts all the time

Also, I was wondering about pregnancy tea...it's made by traditional medicinals, for expectant mothers. I t has raspberry leaf in it...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I thought someone might know!!

Thanks
#2 of 7 Old 08-21-2002, 11:27 AM

Hello~

I'm a doula and a massage therapist. You didn't state whether or not you are you pregnant. If so, how far along are you? Do you have a previous low back injury? Do you currently exercise?

I would recommend yoga or pilates. Both are wonderful ways of stretching. Also, going to a chiropractor or massage therapist can also help with low back pain/discomfort, especially during pregnancy.

As for red rasp. leaf tea. It is a great uterine toner!!! Drink it throughout a pregnancy and its said to help w/labor and delivery. I drank it throughout my 1st preg. and my labor was very quick!

Good Luck~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#3 of 7 Old 08-21-2002, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! yes- I am pregnant- due in November! (see my signature ) So I am 27 weeks, and very healthy. I have only gained 15 lbs this pregnancy so far...and lost one since last month's visit. My mw wants me to gain a bit, but I honestly don't know how that happened! I try to walk as much as possible. And I have a toddler!

I want to be a massgae therapist for pregnant womaen and babies, by the way!! My mom wants me to go to get a massge- I think I will.

Thank you for the suggestions....I think my back hurts, one because I'm pregnant, and two, because I have to carry my 18 month old around!
My first labor went pretty fast- about 8-10 hrs total. I don't think that's bad!
Francine
#4 of 7 Old 08-21-2002, 11:52 AM

Chloe~

Congrats!!! I just woke up, so sorry about me not reading your signature. Yes~I'm sure carrying an 18 mo. old while pregnant is really putting a strain on your back!!! I specialize in pregnancy, labor and infant massage and it is a wonderful profession. A massage feels wonderful anytime, but especially when you are pregnant!

Sounds like you had a quick labor too. Good luck in November!!!

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#5 of 7 Old 08-21-2002, 02:25 PM

Get on your hands and knees, then slowly arch your back like a sway-back old cow, looking up at the ceiling. Hold that position for several seconds, then slowly reverse it, arching your back like a mean old black cat, looking down. Hold for several seconds, then start the process over again, doing 3-5 times several times a day. This helps your back and helps get your baby in good position.

Make sure you have good posture...sit up straight, avoid recliners, etc. When you sleep at night, sleep on your side with a pillow between your knees, to help maintain good alignment of your pelvis.

Of course, accupressure and massage, or a visit to the chiropractor are also good ideas. Yoga and swimming also help. Make sure you don't over stretch--your ligaments are loosening, and it is easy to overdo it, especialy in yoga. Make sure your yoga instructor has experience with pregnant mums.

Good luck!!
#6 of 7 Old 08-21-2002, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Lori- oh yeah! duh! The CAT!

And sleeping on my side with the pillow between my legs is the only way I feel comfortable!!!

But the lower/middle back just hurt constantly. With the first baby, I had sciatic nerve pain when he was turning- oh my gosh!!! that was horrible. And I was working full time at a job which required lifting!!! (That was no fun) But it's just as painful, and annoying when you aren't working
#7 of 7 Old 08-21-2002, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

With that tea- is it normal to feel an increase of Braxton Hicks? I wasn't noticing them, and all of a sudden, I am really feeling them..... yikes

Francine

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page