When does the Doula come? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2002, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is real premature for me...but I am ttc and I would like to have a natural home birth. I will use a midwife, and I would like to hire a doula. I understand that she will provide support and comfort during the birth. I am wondering what specifically the doula will do during labor. When does she come? Do you call her as soon as you are in labor? Do you pay by the hour? I know it sounds petty, but what if you have a 30 hour labor, how much do you end up having to pay the doula? Also, what are the going rates for Doulas? I really want to do this, but I need to know how much to save. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2002, 01:26 PM

...and I usually meet my clients when they are 28-30 weeks gestation. We have one "get to know you" meeting, and two more meetings to talk about our ideas for labor support specific to the couple. Each of those meetings lasts roughly 2 hours. Then for the actual birth, what I tell my clients is "call me when you feel you want me to come". I tell them to call me just to give me a heads-up when they think they are in labor and then to call again when they want me to actually come to them. So theoretically it would be, they call me early in labor after the woman has been feeling regular contractions for an hour or two, I discuss with her how she's feeling -- what support measures she's using, does she need more help etc. -- and then her partner calls me when they want me to actually be with them (usually this call happens when the woman is about 4 cm dilated and she is no longer able to talk through contractions and her mood is becoming serious. This period of labor, after about 4-5 cm dilation, is considered the "active" phase of labor -- a bit of a misnomer cuz it's ALL active, but you know how those medical professionals are...).

sandi
Old 09-03-2002, 01:44 AM

Hi ! Doulas Businesses vary, buti will try to answer your quesitons in a general way as much as possible

I am wondering what specifically the doula will do during labor.
[/B][/QUOTE]There is a difference in the role of a doula at a hosptial birth and a home birht. An important role in the hopsitla for a doual is to be an adovocate for you.. to make sure things arn't happening that you arn't okay with and to inform you so that you can make the best decission. A doula can also offer alot of emmonal and physical suppor tthrough touch, massage, aroma therapyetc. she can help you to use different positions to labor in.. she can help your partner to help you.. you she can be an extra pari of hands... to learn more about a doulas role check out : http://www.dona.org or read "speacial women"
When does she come?
Your doula will come when you ask her too (or should) It's a good idea to inform her as soon as you tink you are in labor, so she can plan on being there and find child care etc.
Do you pay by the hour? I know it sounds petty, but what if you have a 30 hour labor, how much do you end up having to pay the doula?
Please never hire a doula by the hour.. thats just not right.. PLUS, it's too stressful for you.. who wants too be worring about money while they are in labor? or you might not ask her to comewhen you feel like you need her so that you can save money ... most doulas have set rates
Also, what are the going rates for Doulas? I really want to do this, but I need to know how much to save. Thanks.
IT really matters on how experienced they are. Some doulas cost 100.. some cost 600.. it's depending on experinece and what they offer. If moeny is a concern, a good idea would be to hire a doual in training b/c they are usually free or only charge for gas, since they are still working on their sertification. SO not only would you not spend as much, but you would help a doula to become certified as well! Good Luck!
Old 09-03-2002, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would also chime in that based on various "how much doid you pay for doula/midwife/childbirth class discussion here... it can vary tremendously by region so you should really ask around locally to get a good ballpark number.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:33 PM

Raven ~ i am in your general area I paid about $125 ( I think) for my doula. Flat fee. I think in the city it may be higher. We knew each other from LLL, but she came out to my home when I wsa about 7 months and we worked out a birth plan. She came to my last 3 midwives vists with me. I called her first before the midwife, and she would have met me here (at home) if I felt like laboring here for a bit. Instead I met her at the birth suite, and the Midwife got there about 10 minutes later. She also came out for Lactation and a PPD visit She was wonderful. Would you like her name? You can PM me if you want more info!!!!! Good luck TTC!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.

User Tag List