Mothering Forum banner

How late is too late to find a midwife, and are they covered under insurance?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  LizD 
#1 ·
I was just curious..............

Jenni from Ohio

See less See more
#4 ·
We have had women switch to our practice (a CNM/family doc practice in a birth center) as late as 41+ weeks. So, basically it is only too late if you are in active labor.

Many insurances and state medical cards cover CNMs. Homebirth and lay midwives are not often covered, but then, they are not as expensive, and in some cases, the difference that you end up paying is minimal.

I read what your doc said about a birth plan in another post. I would not let the door hit my bum on the way out of that practice. I would not want my worst enemy to birth with them. Find someone else. Damn near anything would be better than what you have right now.

#5 ·
I switched from OB/gyn at around 34 weeks and delivered at 38. She was really thorough at the first appointment, and the subsequent ones were weekly and also very thorogh, so we had a good relationship by the time it was....you know...time.... as my midwife said when I emailed her the same question. "It is never to late to try for the kind of birth you want and deserve."

#6 ·
Women have walked out of the hospital and called midwives during labor, but this is obviously not the ideal time to change practitioners. The earlier you change the better for insurance purposes; if you leave the hospital against medical advice your subsequent costs are not likely to be covered.

Since having a baby is something you only get to do a few times, hang the costs and have the experience *you want.*

#7 ·
We used midwives both times - once a nurse midwife in a hospital and once a certified midwife in a freestanding birth center. Both were covered by our insurances (different insurances from the first to the second). Actually they were covered 100% - we didn't pay anything. No, I take that back, we did have $10 copays with the nurse midwife but nothing at the birth center. I know we saved the insurance company many thousands of dollars by birthing out of hospital. It was win-win!

Call and check with both your insurance and the midwife practice you are wanting. No, it not too late to switch - you still have over two months to form a relationship with the midwife. But I would switch right away as you want all that time to get to know her (and her you) better. I did not read your birth plan post - what happened? Or just tell me where it is posted so you don't have to retype!
Having used midwives, I would never have a doctor unless there were some serious problems - and even then I think I would use a midwife with doctor backup. It is your birth! Utilize care that makes you feel respected and protected! Fighting for the birth you want is not what you should have to do - your birth attendent should have similar views to yours to begin with!
Good luck!!
Kirsten

#8 ·
My insurance company covered my midwife and birthing center at the out-of-network rate (I owed deductible + 50%). No midwives or birthing centers were covered in the ENTIRE STATE of TEXAS! The birthing center has been turned down numerous times for coverage because "there are plenty of places to have a baby in Dallas". Uh, yeah, right.

When I called to complain about this, I was told that insurance didn't cover "people having babies in the backyards". Needless to say, I have filed a complaint against that customer service person and am going to switch companies at the end of the year.

#9 ·
Our insurance supplies us with a book of approved providers. Should look in yours if they supplied you with one or request one. Only Certified Nurse Midwives (CNMs) are covered by my insurance, but the 100% coverage for maternity care applies still.

I am just switching myself at 16 weeks, but like others said, I don't think you can really switch too late. They will just have you sign a release and have your records transfered from your ob/gyn's office to theirs.

#11 ·
When you check with your insurance providers, if they say they have no listings for midwives, be sure to ask them to look under "nurse-midwife." My network had no listings under "midwife" or "certified nurse midwife," but had plenty in the nursing section.

Speaking of Texas, there is a class-action suit in that state to require insurance providers to cover midwife-assisted births. I don't know all the details, but I believe MANA or ACNM have links on their websites.

In Florida homebirth licensed midwives are covered by Medicaid, though most Medicaid folks don't even know this.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.