Need some guidance with a few questions for my Doula training - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-15-2005, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there

I have some birth related questions that I need some clarity and answers for. They are for an open book type questionaire and I just want to make sure I am on the right track. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Ok, here they are:

Q1: Name two possible causes for pre-labour rupture of membranes (2 marks)

Q2: In women experiencing pre-labour rupture of membranes, how many go into labour spontaneously witthing 72hrs?

a) 10%
b) 50%
c) 75%
d) 95%

Q3:Under what circumstances would a managed third stage be appropriate, even with an expectant managemet caregiver? (5 marks)

I can only think of four situations and the question is for five marks - any ideas? Here is what I have:

1. If the mother is having twins, triplets, etc

2. If the mother has a history of post-partum hemhorage

3. If the mother wants to collect stem cells from the blood of the umbilical cord

4. If the mother received oxytocic drugs to stimulate contractions during labour

Q4: What would the normal range of time be for an actively managed third stage:

a) up to 6 mins
b) up to 30 mins
c) up to 1 hour
d) up to 2 hours

Q5: What would the normal range of time be for an expectantly mangaged third stage?

same options as for Q4

Q6: Your client tells you that narrow hips run in her family.

a) Briefly, explaain to your client the key features of the maternal pelvis and the fetal head which enable the baby to pa the pelvis during birth (4marks)

b) What suggestions might you make to your client for optimizing her chaances of having an intervention/drug-free vaginal birth?
(4marks)

Q7: Describe the physiological changes during pregnancy that makes a woman more susceptible to vericose veins? (2marks)

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom!!
#2 of 3 Old 01-15-2005, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Raven]
Q1: Name two possible causes for pre-labour rupture of membranes (2 marks)[/.quote]

Malpresentation of the baby or infection (mainly bacterial, which often can weaken the bag)
Quote:
Q2: In women experiencing pre-labour rupture of membranes, how many go into labour spontaneously witthing 72hrs?

a) 10%
b) 50%
c) 75%
d) 95%
I think it's like 75%, but I'm not completely sure. I know that most do go into labor by 72 hours.
Quote:
Q3:Under what circumstances would a managed third stage be appropriate, even with an expectant managemet caregiver? (5 marks)

I can only think of four situations and the question is for five marks - any ideas? Here is what I have:

1. If the mother is having twins, triplets, etc

2. If the mother has a history of post-partum hemhorage

3. If the mother wants to collect stem cells from the blood of the umbilical cord

4. If the mother received oxytocic drugs to stimulate contractions during labour
Those are good, but I could only really think of two: retained placenta, partial separation of the placenta. With multiples, I don't know that there would be active management of the placentas - most of the time, there is just clamping of the cords, but not necessarily forcing the placentas out. You can collect cord blood without clamping the cord - and I view forcing the placentas out as being active mgt, not necessarily clamping the cord. I would also think that active mgt of third stage could worsen the risk for PPH.

What do others think??
Quote:
Q4: What would the normal range of time be for an actively managed third stage:

a) up to 6 mins
b) up to 30 mins
c) up to 1 hour
d) up to 2 hours
Definitely for an actively managed, it's usually done within ten minutes. Not sure about the question or the answers, though. ?
Quote:
Q5: What would the normal range of time be for an expectantly mangaged third stage?

same options as for Q4
I would think that up to two hours, but that's me, not what alot of providers do.
Quote:
Q6: Your client tells you that narrow hips run in her family.

a) Briefly, explaain to your client the key features of the maternal pelvis and the fetal head which enable the baby to pa the pelvis during birth (4marks)

b) What suggestions might you make to your client for optimizing her chaances of having an intervention/drug-free vaginal birth?
(4marks)
Explaining cardinal movements and the molding of baby's head should offer some advice. There's also talk about the movement of the pelvis and how staying off her tailbone and back will help facilitate normal rotation of the baby.

Also, the mere fact that the size of your hips does not indicate how large a pelvic inlet or outlet you have!

Quote:
Q7: Describe the physiological changes during pregnancy that makes a woman more susceptible to vericose veins? (2marks)
Increased blood volume by 50%, with a reduced blood exchange in the lower extremeties due to the weight of the uterus/baby.
#3 of 3 Old 01-16-2005, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you so much Pam!!

Quote:
Explaining cardinal movements and the molding of baby's head should offer some advice.
How would I do this? Can you please explain these to me. This is one area I am really stuck with. Sorry for being such a dufus...

I am really grateful for the time that you took to help me with these questions.

Love

Shireen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page