Has anyone had a water birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2002, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking into switching to going to a birth center instead of the hospital, and I am really interested in waterbirth. I would like to know about your experience........
Jenni from Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2002, 09:02 PM

I gave birth to two of my five children in the bathtub of a midwife's clinic in Japan. Even though these babies were bigger than my others I did not tear delivering them unlike the others (minor tears but still tears.) The water eased the contractions and made the whole delivery quicker and easier in my opinion. I was fortunate to have a very experienced midwife, she was in her 70's. I highly recommend water births.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:44 AM

I actually didn't end up giving birht in the water (it was an option though) I did labour in the tub (an aqua doula) for quite a while, and it was heaven!!! go for it!
Old 09-15-2002, 03:25 AM

I too labored in the tub but didn't actually birth in it. When the baby was crowning, the midwife said, "we better get you to the tub quick or the baby will be born right here on the bed", and I said "and.....?" (as if I couold walk with the head hanging out like that). I had a difficult, long labor and I don't know if I could have done it without the tub. It made a WORLD of difference; I can't even express how much. My midwife kept making me get out to walk around and I REALLY didn't want to.
I'm also a doula and Bradley teacher, so I've attended quite a few births, and if you're planning a natural birth, ABSOLUTELY do it out of the hospital if you can-it's soooooo much easier; no arguing, no machines, no positions you don't like, no being confined to the bed, no one there who doesn't have the same ideas you do about what you want your birth to be like, no 25% c-section rate.
Just my humble opinion.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:43 AM

I labored in the tub too, and got out to birth. I had a break between transition and pushing, maybe 20 minutes. And when the intenseness of labor stopped the tub was too hot and uncmfortable. I actually sat on the toilet until it I could really feel the baby coming and them moved to squating in bed. My 19 month old really liked the tub though! Although he did get out to watch his brother be born
Old 09-15-2002, 03:16 PM

I birthed my third in a tub, and it was wonderful. I only got in the water at aroun 6-7 cm, and didn't get out until after my dd was born (I birthed the placenta after I was out already). I didn't tear a bit (which was a major concern for me-I had a huge episiotomy for my 1st, and it tore right down the seam with my 2nd). Throughout the labor in the tub, it was very helpful for me to have ice on my face and body to "cool off." The water wasn't too hot, but I've always liked the application of something very cold when I'm feeling either pain or nausea - and it really helped in labor!

I would totally recommend a home waterbirth.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:11 PM

I was the doula for a client who chose to birth in the tub ~ it looked WONDERFUL! The mom seemed comfortable (as much as possible that is!), and the baby SWAM out. It was really beautiful! Her little arms & legs flailed about underwater, the midwife caught her and immediately handed her to her mom. The baby looked around and was very much aware of what was going on around her, looking from face to face. She was a beautiful pink and breathing easily. She only cried when I snapped her first picture and she startled at the flash!

I hope to have a waterbirth based on watching her give birth like this. I can't imagine a more peaceful way to birth or to be born.

A nice bonus is that the babe is all cleaned by the warm water by the time you scoop her out into your arms, lol!

I would HIGHLY recommend a water birth, with an waterbirth experienced midwife.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:49 PM

I gave birth to my 18mth dd in a birthing tub in my home in Oregon. It was the single greatest experience of my life!!

I knew I did not want to be in a hospital, or have an epidural, or an episiotomy, so I opted for my own home and a huge, warm, welcoming tub of water. It was the right decision. I labored for 18 1/2 hours and spent about 11 of that in the tub. My daughter was born gently and peacefully after 1 hour of pushing. She came out with her arms crossed over her chest and as soon as her shoulders cleared, she dove right out! I have the whole thing on video and I am very thankful for this life altering experience.

The best part I guess was being able to lay back on the water and rest between contractions. My husband was able to be in the tub with me as well. I did get out at one point to try labor on my bed. 2 minutes later a 180 lb, beautifully pregnant woman was sprinting back to my little haven of blissful water. Then after my dh and I pulled our little angel onto my chest, she cooed peacefully. And we stayed in that position until I delivered the placenta 40 minutes later. Even then, we stayed in the warm tub till the cord stopped pulsing.

They say that being born in water is the gentlest way to be born. To go from a water cocoon of 9 months to a hottub has got to be a nice after the trip thru the birth canal. I did not tear or anything. I believe it is because the water softened my skin. I had two midwives and a doula in attendance.

Good luck to you!! I really hope that whatever decision you make is a wonderful one.

Mindy
P.S. My little Asha still lives to be in water.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate everyone's response to this post. I love hearing the stories! I would enjoy more (good or bad). We have decided to go with the birthing center, and I have my next appt in three weeks. When I told my doctor I was leaving she armed me for battle....ha! She made me get an ultrasound (but I didn't complain about that.....now it's two thumbs up for a girl), numerous blood tests, and back the next day for urine and blood pressure.....no wonder it was up, them confronting me made me nervous! Oh well, now I can relax and have the birth I've always dreamed of.
Thanks again.......Jenni from Ohio
Old 09-19-2002, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate everyone's response to this post. I love hearing the stories! I would enjoy more (good or bad). We have decided to go with the birthing center, and I have my next appt in three weeks. When I told my doctor I was leaving she armed me for battle....ha! She made me get an ultrasound (but I didn't complain about that.....now it's two thumbs up for a girl), numerous blood tests, and back the next day for urine and blood pressure.....no wonder it was up, them confronting me made me nervous! Oh well, now I can relax and have the birth I've always dreamed of.
Thanks again.......Jenni from Ohio
Old 09-22-2002, 03:23 AM

My ds was a water baby. I decided that I wanted a water birth when I was 6 months pregnant and switched to a birthing center. It really was a wonderful experience. The water helped to ease the contractions (although not as much as I hoped), I did tear a little but only had 2 stitches. I believe that it is a much gentler entry into the world and a gentle birth experience is important for the baby and for mom. Plus a birth center is much more home-like than a hospital, It was very intimate, and after the birth my ds, dh and I all slept in the same bed. We had candles & music, and for most of my labor the only people in the room were dh, me and our doula! There was no IV, no bright lights, no people coming in and out of the room, no machines. I highly recommend a birth center (or home) birth and water birth! Congratulations on your decision.

User Tag List