I tried posting this in the Midwife forum but it wouldn't let me. I wanted to thank you all for your generous support of us during this difficult time, that isn't looking like it will get much better soon.
I am in some trouble right now and I am not sure what to do. On 8/30 I had a D&E because our baby passed away. I was 16.5 weeks at the time and she had passed away at about 13.5 (that is when I last heard a hearbeat). I lost about 1 liter of blood at the time and was kept over night. I was released the next day with colace, iron, and some pain meds. On Sunday Morning I woke up with pain that came like contractions, every 2 minutes. I was told by the people in Labor and Delivery that I should tough it out (I spoke with them because that was the only way I could actually speak with a person rather than wait for a doctor to get around to answering my message). After the pain meds weren't working and I could not stand it anymore, I went to the ER and apparently I had endometritis with clotted over blood in my uterus. It was serious enough that they called people in to do a D&C right then and there. I was kept in the hospital until Tuesday Morning after being cycled on 3 different antibiotics. The bleeding was moderate at most until the next Saturday Morning when it stopped altogther. Then a few hours later I started cramping pretty strongly. An hour after that started I started bleeding pretty heavily. I went to the ER since it was more than a pad an hour and was put on Methargine. I was given 10 doses to take every 4 hours and I was also given an appointment to be seen by a doctor on Monday. When I saw the doctor, he did a vaginal ultrasound and discovered a fibroid, about 2 cm at the top of my uterus. He didn't give me anymore methargine at the time. When my initial prescription ran out, the bleedin picked back up and on a couple of occasions I passed rather large clots (2 being quite large, to me anyway, one was the size of both my thumbs and the other was just about a handful, the others I didn't see because they passed into the toilet). I called the doctor this morning because the bleeding was still making me lightheaded and was quite a bit more than I expected to have. He did a CBC which was an improvement over my last one and did another vaginal ultrasound. He concluded that since my bHCG was zero and my uterus appeared empty, save for the fibroid, that it was the fibroid that was causing all this bleeding. He told me that I had 3 choices, birth control pills, estrogen/progesterone combination (I believe that he offered this because I had told him previously that if I didn't have to take the pill for other than birth control reasons, especially for very long, I wouldn't because my personal beliefs would call for my husband and I to abstain for the entire time I was on it) or nothing. I filled the prescription for the premarin/provera but I am not sure if I should take it.
Would the estrogen (Premarin) cause the fibroid to grow larger, augmenting my problem? Is there something else that I can do? I am very open to looking into herbs, etc. I am also a bit leary of taking something that would suppress ovulation as we had a very difficult time conceiving this child and it seems counter productive.
Thanks for any input.
Oh yeah, forgot to add, it appears that I have had a full thermal shift in the past 2 days although I would need a few more temps to confirm this (no mucus observations because I have still been bleeding). Which is another reason I would hesitate to start taking the estrogen/progesterone? Wouldn't I also start yet another period if I started taking it now?
Thanks in advance for any input.