Searching for a Midwife in Upstate NY - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2002, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI, I'm new here. I am 8 weeks pregnant and would really love to have another homebirth. I had my first child at home in Idaho, my second in a hospital in Oregon with the same midwife who did my homebirth (she moved the same time I did, believe it or not), and am now in Corning, NY. There is a detached birth center not too far from me; however it is owned and run by a local hospital, and even though they promote women's choices and empowerment, it's still affiliated with a hospital. I've met one of the midwives for a routine pap, and, while she was nice, she was forgetful and didn't check a lot of things I asked about, or did so after I reminded her a couple of times. The other midwife I spoke to on the phone, and she seems great. However, my preference is to have another homebirth.

There are three midwives not too far from me who would do homebirths in this area. When I called the first the first question she asked me was, "Have to talked to any other midwives in the area?" I told her she was my first, and we talked about other things. I just got a really bad feeling about her--I didn't like some of her answers to my questions. Anyway, I had to take care of my other children that day so I didn't try to call the other two until a couple of days later. In the past three weeks I've left messages for both of them three times, and neither has returned my call. Yesterday someone I know who used one of the midwives (not the one I talked to) said that the three have a pact with each other so that clients can't go midwife-hopping, and suggested that the first midwife told the others my name so that they'd "know" I was the first one's client. I think this very unprofessional. I did reluctantly set up an appointment last week with the midwife I spoke with, but only after waiting for the other two to call. I don't know if what the person who used one of the midwives is telling the truth, but coupled with her statement and the lack of phone calls I don't have any confidence in using any of them right now!

Does anyone know of any midwives doing homebirths in the Corning area? And does anyone have any experiences with free-standing birth centers run by midwives but owned by a hospital? At this point I'm leaning towards the birth center, but I'd like to avoid an hour's drive up there during labor if I can help it. And, finally, am I over reacting? I know I have the raging hormones going on now :-), but I just feel like crying over all of this. Am I nuts?

Thanks! ~Michele

User Tag List