C-section, the easiest way...HA - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-13-2005, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should first tell you that my goal is to become a CNM. I am working at my RN at this moment. I have a long road ahead of me, but I am young and I know it will be worth the trip.

I have a friend that is convinced that a C-section is better than vaginal birth. She says,"C-sections are quicker and Babys born by C-section are so much prettier than vaginal births, they are not all squished and stretched out!" I tried to explain to her that it takes a long time to heal from a C-section and that being born vaginally helps to squeeze fluid out of the lungs and more reasons a normal preg should not need a C-section. I told her that I was going to have a home birth because many hospital interventions can lead to C-section, and a home birth can be
better for a baby ( no drugs, less infection contamination ect) and she said, "Oh your going to be on of those Hippy Doctors!"

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
#2 of 24 Old 03-13-2005, 05:21 PM

This thread caught my eye, although I'm not a midwife or doula. : So apologies for sticking my nose in, but...

I think this is fairly common. When I first started getting curious about labor/delivery (it was when my sister was pregnant), I talked to my uncle, who's an OB-GYN. He told me that, if the health/well-being of the baby was the only concern, he would do a C-section every time. He recognized that it was probably harder on the mom, but thought that the babies came out much better without the "stress" of a vaginal delivery. He also extolled the virtues of episiotomy as a way of "controlling" tearing that would otherwise rip your perineum to shreds. Instead of assuaging my fears, he only made them worse. It's not like he's a bad guy--but this was what his training and his many years of medicalized birth inculcated in him. For awhile, based on my talks with him, I was convinced that when I had kids, I would get a scheduled C-section. I feel SO lucky and thankful that something in me compelled me to research all this stuff before ttc...
#3 of 24 Old 03-13-2005, 06:49 PM

Yeah tell that to my client that ended up with an systemic infection, and an absess due to her c-section...

Use her comment to strengthen your reslove to becoming a cnm!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#4 of 24 Old 03-13-2005, 07:03 PM

Just so you know, when I first got pregnant, I thought that a c-section might have been better than a vaginal birth.

There is time to model our lives to others. That modeling will speak volumes over any statistics, studies or anecdotal evidence. I'm finding that the more I let women ask ME questions about birth (rather than preaching to them), the more receptive they are to really hearing me.

A friend who is becoming a doula asked me, "does it ever stop being frustrating or aggravating???" Well, there are always moments of frustration, but to tell you the truth, I just think about how far I have come and see that hope and possibility in EVERY ONE.
#5 of 24 Old 03-13-2005, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If caesareans were really easier, G-d would have put a zipper on your lower abdomen.
#6 of 24 Old 03-13-2005, 09:40 PM

I've developed a snap answer for that. Sure they're easier...the only question is, easier for who?

Then I just nod and listen and make a note to be there a couple weeks after the birth. I've had to learn some of my life lessons the hard way too. So I'll just be helpful when she's ready to really "hear me" rather than wasting my breath while she's effectively deafened by our culture. I agree with Pama...our society needs leaders toward change and we're it.
#7 of 24 Old 03-13-2005, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtentmomma
I've developed a snap answer for that. Sure they're easier...the only question is, easier for who?
ITA!
#8 of 24 Old 03-14-2005, 03:05 AM

is she serious? lool, pulease...1/ how vain to be out of commision for 6 wks minimum for major abdominal surgery so your childs head wouldnt be funny shaped for a short amount of time ( which is supposed to hence the soft spot) : 2/ my yasmeen didnt have a odd shaped head, and she was natural...

why would you want to walk around after birth when you can have a scapel do it for you and be on meds and barely be able to hold your little one???????? this was pure sarchasm

this IS NOTfor ones that didnt choose or want a c-section,
i did have one w/ my first and it SUCKED
:LOL

one love

#9 of 24 Old 03-14-2005, 10:40 AM

it took me 6 months to totally feel myself after my c-secs. Some people do heal faster, but for me I am certain vag birth must be easier. I also think that in the long run, particularly for preemies, we will find that the "priming" of the lungs and gut of the babe in a vaginal birth is more valuable than we currently know.
#10 of 24 Old 03-14-2005, 10:48 AM

VERY WELL SAID!
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice
If caesareans were really easier, G-d would have put a zipper on your lower abdomen.
#11 of 24 Old 03-15-2005, 12:31 AM

Whenever I hear someone mention that a C-section is "more convenient" I say "If convenience is what you're looking for, becoming a mother is probably a bad idea".

It makes me so sad that there are people who would rather undergo major abdominal surgery than to be inconvenienced or have to deal with pain. They just don't *get* birth. Natural childbirth is one of the most spiritual rights of passage that a woman can ever go through, and to give that up in exchange for a scheduled surgery is doing yourself a huge injustice.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#12 of 24 Old 03-15-2005, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Right on Mama!
#13 of 24 Old 03-15-2005, 10:43 PM

IMHO...I think those that praise c-sections just don't know any better. They haven't been fully informed nor educated. That's why it's our duty as natural mommas to spread the word whenever possible (in a nice, non-confrontational,non-judgemental, factual way).

Henci Goer has written many good articles on "Elective C-sections" and other interventions.

Sometimes, the people who praise c-sections are ones who have had c-sections and have their head in the sand to feel better. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
#14 of 24 Old 03-15-2005, 11:38 PM

You know, only for birth would anyone feel that major abdominal surgery be better.

I had a c-section & it healed well & recovery went well. However, I have no intention of repeating that "just because."

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#15 of 24 Old 03-16-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg
This thread caught my eye, although I'm not a midwife or doula. : So apologies for sticking my nose in, but...
Off topic, but I'm sure that this forum isn't only for midwives, doulas, or childbirth educators to post in. I post here if I want advice from one, and my questions seem to be welcomed!
#16 of 24 Old 03-16-2005, 01:02 PM

ya know.... as someone who has been cut literally hipbone to hipbone THREE times I must tell ya it ISN'T the easiest way. Vaginal birth mommies get to hold their babies sooner and get to be up and around sooner and they get to nurse sooner too. Why disfigure your body with an ugly scar if you don't have to ?
#17 of 24 Old 03-16-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOpenWide
I should first tell you that my goal is to become a CNM. I am working at my RN at this moment. I have a long road ahead of me, but I am young and I know it will be worth the trip.

I have a friend that is convinced that a C-section is better than vaginal birth. She says,"C-sections are quicker and Babys born by C-section are so much prettier than vaginal births, they are not all squished and stretched out!" I tried to explain to her that it takes a long time to heal from a C-section and that being born vaginally helps to squeeze fluid out of the lungs and more reasons a normal preg should not need a C-section. I told her that I was going to have a home birth because many hospital interventions can lead to C-section, and a home birth can be
better for a baby ( no drugs, less infection contamination ect) and she said, "Oh your going to be on of those Hippy Doctors!"

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

This might be a mean thing to say, but... a woman who's most concerned about how "pretty" her baby is when he/she is born is probably never going to be convinced of the benefits of natural birth no matter what you tell her. *shrug*
#18 of 24 Old 03-16-2005, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a c-section with my daughter and I don't understand how people can think it's "easier." :/ It was terrifying and recovery was long and painful. It's a major surgery!
#19 of 24 Old 03-17-2005, 07:01 AM

Wow, I find it terrifying that someone would actually worry about which way the baby would look prettier?!?! And I hate to ruin her "pretty" picture, but there was nothing attractive about my first child in respiratory distress from c/sec birth, and my second child has a cleft lip and palate, his c/sec birth didn't save him from that - ooh, my sarcasm is a bit strong I know, but this stuff makes my skin crawl.

Maybe when she is thinking a c/sec is better you could tell her about me, the woman who had nine weeks of wound infection after the first one, and 13wks of wound and uterine infection after they left part of the placenta behind in the second one, and I have surgical adhesions severe enough to cause me constant pain, which is really bad when I pick up my children for a cuddle. I know I haven't had a VBAC yet to compare the two, but I would bet hands down that when I do it will be far more pleasant than either of my first two births.

But, as has already been mentioned here, if her concern is the baby's appearance then she probably doesn't have much use for the words natural or parenting in her life, I feel sorry for the child, but I will hold out hope that she sees the light before it is too late.
#20 of 24 Old 03-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOpenWide
II have a friend that is convinced that a C-section is better than vaginal birth. She says,"C-sections are quicker and Babys born by C-section are so much prettier than vaginal births, they are not all squished and stretched out!"
This is an interesting statement.

I was always told by people who did not like my choice of having my babies at home that I was selfish to indulge my whims and vanity.

I was told by others that I was letting my fears of hospitals run my life.

Now I can see that others have their whims, vanities, and fears also.

Nature has a reason for squishing, stretching, and molding the newborn through the birthcanal...the catacholamine levels rise, the baby's "breathing tubes" are squeezed and opened and the baby is ready to start its new life outside by breathing, urinating, eating, and defecating. Their bodies fold out nicely soon enough.

The mother's body responds with oxytocin for lactation and lots of endorphins to enjoy and care for the new one.

Except for afterpains and sore nipples, the pain is pretty much over!

No problems.

Life goes on.
#21 of 24 Old 03-23-2005, 11:54 PM

Perhaps delving deeper into your friend's reasons for preferring a c-sec over a vaginal birth would allow the two of you to have a real conversation about it--a conversation in which you can see what your friend's motive's really are, and perhaps, you may discover that her motives for a c-section are similar to your motives for natural birth....

Is a c-section better because if that's what's on the pregnant woman's birth plan, her birth plan will actually be honored?

She's partly right about a c-section being quicker than a typical hospital vaginal birth--when a woman is admitted at 2 cms and the Pit drip starts...

Is a c-section the best way for this woman to avoid humiliating, constant vaginal exams?

For many women, who have heard the nightmares and injustice inflicted upon birthing women in hospitals, the crotch-cutting episiotomies, the thought that her baby could be 'deformed' (modeled head) by birth, that labor hurts, any way to escape such scenarios make that c-section seem like a better choice...heck...one in four women has one, how bad can it be?
#22 of 24 Old 03-25-2005, 01:34 AM

Yeah, I have a "friend" who said the same thing- that c-sections were easier (she could plan for the date, better for the baby's appearance, blah blah blah) and she had one with her first child (failure to progress, if I remember right). At the local hospital VBACs just aren't done, and she was happy about this (for if and when she gets preg again). I tried to explain to her what all of you have just said in this thread, but she didn't care. This is the same woman who said that breastfeeding is "gross" and that she didn't want to ruin her breasts!!
All we can do is try to keep educating those future mamas who are open to being educated.

mom to G 6/19/03 and M 9/9/06
#23 of 24 Old 03-25-2005, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyW
Wow, I find it terrifying that someone would actually worry about which way the baby would look prettier?!?!
How about a baby born by caesarean section with a laceration from the scalpel somewhere on its face? ...or scrotum?, as I read on one thread.

From reading these forums, it happens all of the time...more frequently that the obstetricians will ever admit.
#24 of 24 Old 03-28-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
How about a baby born by caesarean section with a laceration from the scalpel somewhere on its face? ...or scrotum?, as I read on one thread.

From reading these forums, it happens all of the time...more frequently that the obstetricians will ever admit.
Hmmmmm....applejuice, the stat I've read in the OB literature, which does admit to these terrible incidents--if I'm not mistaken, I believe I've read there's a 1-2% fetal cut rate (or maybe as high as 3%?) for c-sectioned babies?

Of course, no pregnant woman being wooed by the 'you can schedule baby's birthday with a c-section' will hear 'but there's a 2% chance I'll nick your baby's forehead' from her OB.

Anyway--my point is, if the obstetric literature is admitting to this high of a rate, you're right--no doubt such injury is more common than the printed percentage.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page