Long pushing stage... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-18-2005, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for your experiences/thoughts....

I read alot of stories where women had pushing phases of more than 2hrs. I am wondering how many of you see this? is this from being told to push because they are suddenly 10cm and that means they need to push or do you think some women really need to push that long?
#2 of 13 Old 04-19-2005, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think some women do push that long - esp if there is an issue with the head being asynclitic or posterior. Other times, I think it may come from the "you're complete! start pushing!" rule.
#3 of 13 Old 04-19-2005, 05:07 AM

I pushed for 3.5 hours. In my case, I said to my m/w "I need to push" and she just told me to go ahead whenever I felt the urge. As Pam said, I had a posterior and asynclitic baby.
#4 of 13 Old 04-22-2005, 02:39 AM

I pushed for 3 hrs and I am still ticked off about it (almost 3 yrs later). I had a NEW nurse and I think I was pushing against a 'not ready' cervix...it hurt to push...
I also had the ITN shot...like the epi but a 1x shot for 3 hrs of relief...and some IV drugs...this was of course before I learned anything about birth etc.
Not sure if her head was posterior or asynclitic...I did have back labor...hmmm...
#5 of 13 Old 04-22-2005, 09:45 AM

I agree with Pamamidwife- it's how the head is presenting. The effectiveness of how she's pushing too- is she getting into whatever position feels best, and moving around, or is she in bed, horizontal? Medication effects it too- if she's having trouble feeling sensation, she might not be pushing as effectively. First time moms can take longer too.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#6 of 13 Old 04-22-2005, 10:32 AM

I had a 3 hour pushing stage with DD. I was NEVER told to push and began on my own when my body told me to (btw before that I didn't really believe that the body would begin to push on its own ).

Turns out DD decided her lovely HAND needed to come out with her head and that's what was holding things up.

--Kari
#7 of 13 Old 04-22-2005, 12:12 PM

I was just reading some pretty interesting stuff from Jean Sutton last night about the rhombus of Michaelis and how they believe that it's related to a nerve in the vagina (perhaps the g-spot) that creates the movement of the rhombus out (sacrum) and the fetal ejection reflex.

she said that women that are uninhibited will not forcefully push for long - that they will instinctively just work with contractions until the baby presents on the pelvic floor and then the fetus ejection reflex occurs - and baby is born.

I think, too, that we have so many malpositioned babies because of our lifestyles and this, combined with lying in bed, directed pushing, epidurals (which inhibit the nerve reflex) and fear create higher instrument deliveries and cesareans.
#8 of 13 Old 04-22-2005, 07:07 PM

I like this article:

http://www.havingababytoday.com/articles/pushing.asp

When I am charting, I might write that moms are "grunting" at the peak of contractions, but don't use the word "pushing" until moms are pushing full force through contractions.

The longest pushing stages I have seen at homebirths have been with nuchal hands.

As a doula, I have seen a couple of disasterous results from encouraging women to push too soon. It seems like when there is a long birth, the practitioners are really, really eager to get pushing started so that "mom doesn't get too tired . . ." but if her body isn't working at peak efficiency, then she is just going to have to work harder, IMHO. I just attended a birth where a mom had a long pushing stage after a long labor and her labia basically swelled shut, necessitating a c-section. It was horrible because she had worked sooo hard and we could see the baby's head but then it just all fell apart.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#9 of 13 Old 04-22-2005, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Pam do you have a link or a book title?

In my personal experience I've never pushed for more than 15-20 mins and that was with my first (hospital, lithomy position) I've had two nuchal hands, one of which caused crowning to be more painful but 3 out of 5 births have been super short 3-5 pushes and thier out... but then again I've never been told to push and I let my body push on it's own and add to it as I feel lead...
#10 of 13 Old 04-22-2005, 08:00 PM

I pushed for over three hours with my first, and he was finally born via vacuum. The whole birth was an induction. My practitioner was horrible, and I was naive. He weighed 9 pounds, 8 ounces. I never had an urge to push -- most definately was "You're 10! PUSH!"

With my second I also never got the urge to push. I waited with a cervical lip for almost 3 hours. In hindsight I should have gone knees/chest to floor, but I was in so much pain it was all I could do to lie on my side. I finally got tired of waiting, and I told my midwife I wanted to try and push. She told me to go ahead. It hurt so bad EVERY SINGLE TIME I PUSHED. I felt disoriented, like I wasn't sure how to even push. After 90 minutes of pushing, he was finally born. He was posterior and asynclitic. I had no back pain at all -- instead I had terrible lower abdominal pain, so bad I asked for numerous ice packs.

With this baby I really want to wait to have the urge to push, as I feel that will greatly cut down my pushing time.

We are so conditioned to "get to 10," so we can start pushing. But really, we should be waiting until a woman says, "I need to push!"

I had a friend who had her babies in Ecuador. She said in their hospitals all the laboring women are sitting in chairs in a room together. The routine is to wait for a mom to say "Nurse! Nurse! I need to do poopies!" Then they move the mom to a more private area, and more times than not, she goes on to deliver a baby pretty soon after that. Could you imagine? That sounds *almost* theraputic to me!
#11 of 13 Old 04-23-2005, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

I found this http://www.intl.elsevierhealth.com/e-books/pdf/465.pdf
it's only 3 pages so I plan to print it and give it out to parents that seem slightly interested or who mention they've had a long pushing stage in previous pregnancies.
#12 of 13 Old 04-23-2005, 01:32 AM

that's the article!

it comes from this collection of articles like that in this book (which I highly recommend): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
#13 of 13 Old 04-24-2005, 06:03 PM

I pushed about 2+ hours with my 9.5 lb, completely (ie never turned) posterior baby. I couldn't get up the gumption to push hard enough until the heart rate started dropping- back labor hurt too much. Once I *really* pushed doing the doorknob squat he was born. But I don't know if he would've been born any faster had I pushed harder earlier. One midwife even tried pushing my bones apart with her hands.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page