? for those who attend twin births - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2005, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am also x-posting on the parenting multiples board. I don't know where my babies will be as I approach term (they're still turning somersaults at this point :LOL ), but I am interviewing an OB and a homebirth midwife next week in the city to which we are relocating. While here in NC I am seeing a family practice doc I really like. When he and I talked about the kinds of questions I should ask possible providers he really stressed asking how they handle the birth of the second baby should he be breech. He talked about turning the baby vs. manual extraction. I asked about just waiting for the baby to descend and let him be born breech? He said his concern about this is that it usually takes awhile (upwards of several hours) and that a lot of blood can be lost during that time. He really didn't think it was an option. My doctor's primary bias was that manually extracting the baby is unnecessarily painful. He said that he usually just turns the baby externally.

So, how do you usually handle this? I pictured nursing and bonding with the first babe for a bit and then pushing out the second. Is that unreasonable?

TIA!

Trying to get my bearings...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2005, 01:00 AM

not a midwife but I was discussing the handling of twins with my clients MW (I'm the doula) and she says for the most part they just let them be and see what happens. She was even saying how they had a twin birth where they were born a day apart
Old 04-20-2005, 03:30 AM

I recommend the video Psalm & Zoya The Unassited Homebirth of Our Twins.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:07 PM

Not a midwife, but my midwife will attend twins. She had her twins at home unassisted. I don't know what their positions were, but I know that she didn't plan on having anyone turn either one or extract anything.... I would think that like other breech births, it's best to be hands off.

Just my opinion...

-Angela
Old 04-20-2005, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely check out that video. Others have recommended it as well.

Trying to get my bearings...

User Tag List