child birth educator training - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2005, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What organizations offer cbe trainings? Which do you prefer?

Kim- Simple livin' mama to 4 great kiddos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 12:02 PM

health issues. Aside from that, I spent years doing self study and reading all that I could, touring birth center in the US and in Germany. I didn't feel the need to get a professional organization certification at that point.

I got my hands on a whole set of Bradley handouts from a Bradley instructor and ordered a used student workbook from amazon.com. I was able to get a lot of what I liked about Bradley out of that while ignoring all of the parts I did not like.

The Transition to Parenthood website also pretty much anything you will need in downloadable format. I have downloaded tons of stuff from her site.

I meshed those and a few other things into my own lesson plan.

I also teach an emergency childbirth education class to non medical professionals (police officers usually) and made up a 1 hour format for that class.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:40 PM

www.childbirthinternational.com offers cbe distance training.

nak
Old 07-03-2005, 10:18 AM

I am pursuing certification through ICEA: International Childbirth Education Association. I have been to the Chilbirth Educator Workshop - they are ongoing all over the country - and thought it was just wonderful! Lots of GREAT ideas on how to make classes interesting and fun. Excellent educators. Their motto is "Freedom of choice based on knowledge of alternatives". Not as "radical" as some education methods, but they do focus on really informing people of the risks and consequenses of proceedures (such as domino effect of interventions) and benefits of personal choice in medical care during labor and birth. I feel it will help me to reach people who are maybe on the fence about natural childbirth rather than just those who are already conviced about it. Check out www.icea.org Best of luck with your search and hope this helps!

chicken3.gif Christian SAHM to DS 3/04, DS 1/06, and DD 1/09 and expecting a new little one in May 2012 selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif 

Old 07-03-2005, 10:22 AM

Birthing From Within... that's what I'm doing. I think it needs to be a part of all CBE, even if you get a more 'mainstream' cert. as well. www.birthingfromwithin.com

it's a much longer and more involved process- it's a real inward journey for you as a mentor, but so worth it and amazing!

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
Old 07-03-2005, 05:55 PM

I went through CAPPA and was not totally pleased.
The trainer taught the class much like she would her own CBE class, which provide information I would assume anyone interested in CBE already knew. It lacked information on creating or finding a lesson plan and practicle business application. She did go over the order in which to teach and we each had to "teach" a 10min session on a certain subject (not nearly enough practice IMO) I think the problem with this program and most is that they try to pack it all into a weekend and I just think it needs to be more indepth. I've finished the test and everything, yet I don't feel anywhere near ready to actually teach a class. :
Old 07-04-2005, 01:24 AM

I am completing my certification to become a CBE using hypnosis using the Hypnobabies method. I had my first using the Hypnobirthing method and my second baby using a combination of the two.

I really love Hypnobabies. Hypnosis may sound funky to some but it is an intense relaxation that anyone can learn. I love the Hypnobabies course because it is so absolutely comprehensive. It covers not only how to relax through hypnosis but it includes great nutritional information, common interventions (and how to avoid them) and much, much more. You can find more information at www.hypnobabies.com

My births, esp. the 2nd, was so peaceful and absolutely wonderful. I literally said 5 min.s after the birth that if all births were so easy I could have 12 babies, and oh by the way my second was born posterior..I had absolutely no idea. But all the training and studying as far as optimal positioning for labor, delivery, etc was invaluable (this is incorporated too into the course). I love especially also how she gives information and then has upteen additional resources for the mommies if they want to study up more on their own. I really could not be more happy with it. Pm me if you have any other questions.

Kristen
Old 07-05-2005, 04:50 PM

I am training with Birthworks. www.birthworks.org I looked at many organizations and the philosophies fit most with my own. I am just starting my training and it is largely self study with research papers, reports, and an exam reviewed by a mentor/reviewer. There is also a required workshop to attend. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I know that it will pay off in helping me to be as prepared as possible. I am excited about the program and can't wait to start teaching.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your suggestions! I looked over a ton of info tonight from CAPPA, ALACE (I hope that is what its called), and BFW. So far I am leaning towards ALACE based on philosphy, price and method of learning. But BFW is pulling at me too.

Are any of you certified by more than one agency? I was thinking of taking the ALACE course for more of an "overview" sort of general class and then take the BFW for a more specific class. That way I appeal to more people maybe? I dont know if that would work or not.

I do know looking at CAPPA I wasnt too impressed, something about it rubbed me wrong I guess.

I will check out all the other links you gave, thanks again.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:31 PM

There's no reason you can't at least do trainings with both ALACE and BFW- that way you get the gamut of information and you can integrate them both into how you teach.

I want to take an ALACE doula training (I did DONA originally), and while I am entering the BFW cert program at the end of the year, I also want to take a CBE training from another org, just to round out my experience.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
Old 07-07-2005, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Raven- have you gone through childbirth international? what did you think of the program?

Old 07-08-2005, 12:10 AM

i trained in the bradley method bc that's what i used 2x (soon to be 3)........i really like it.......i don't *agree* with all the philophies...and i'm not antimedicine (like it sometimes comes across as to the untrained eye)....i've been pleased with it.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:47 PM

I love CAPPA all around just because they have such a wide range of programs for certification and I love Lamaze International, because Lamaze is what my mother did. I plan on using Lamaze when I bith my first baby. I'm not anti-medicine, but I will not use medicne, I dont' like medicine for me, but completely support others who would like to use medication. I hope that helps.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:04 PM

I went through the Bradley Method but I'm not pleased with the way it's run as an organization. I'm looking into other options but it's so hard once you've invested so much time & money. Really really research it before you decide what's best for YOU. Good luck!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:26 PM

I was certified and taught the Bradley Method (www.bradleybirth.com) for years and just quit recently and actually wish that I had gone with something like Birthing From Within instead! So my recommendation is Birthing From Within (www.birthingfromwithin.com). If I ever teach again I'd go with them! I think people should teach what ever fits their personality best...
Old 07-25-2005, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just lurking...but very interested...
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:27 AM

I'm going through ALACE right now. The philosophy was right and the price was too. Now what I didn't expect was all the support they offer!!

I'm really happy with my choice. Its very indepth info (though nothing new to me) very organized and well planned. I'm extremely shy ( you mean you can't tell?!)

but feel well prepared to start teaching.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
Old 08-02-2005, 01:06 AM

I am doing my course work through ALACE. I am only starting but so far I really like them.

Mama of 2 and Younique Independent Presenter
Naturally based skin care and makeup www.beboldbeauty.com
Old 08-06-2005, 01:11 AM

I am in the process of finishing my CAPPA certification as we speak. I had originally registered with ICEA, but since I am already a RN with my BSN, and they more or less told me that they didn't encourage people in the medical field to become certified, (at least not through them) and wouldn't credit me for any of my education, I decided they weren't the best choice for me.

I have been teaching (uncertified) for almost 2 years, and was fortunate to be able to get into a conference fairly close to home.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Go with your heart with what feels right.

Cristi
Old 08-06-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlinsmom
Raven- have you gone through childbirth international? what did you think of the program?
I am currently with them and love the services they provide. I am in South Africa so distance learning was the only option for me and since I am a sahm with three kids it makes things very easy for me to do when I have the time. The staff are very approachable and VERY helpful! There are chats a few times a week which is great and the students website is awesome!!!! Its great and ime well worth it!
Old 09-25-2005, 03:45 PM

I've just started looking into this. I am very interested in becoming a CBE. I was thinking that I would do Bradley because that's the class I took when I was pregnant, but I'm not sure. There are so many choices out there and it's hard to judge which would be the best.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:53 AM

I am a Childbirth Mentor with Birthing From Within. It is definately a different sort of direction that most other CBE programs. For one, we don't call ourselves teachers. We are mentors. It may seem like a semantic detail, but it goes much deeper than that. From my perspective, in the research and experience that I have had with other "methods" (BFW is not really a method, but a guiding philosophy) BFW fits most truly with what I feel is the roots of birth.

I think that the most important thing when looking at different programs is to really explore what are their goals or focus, how do they present the material, how flexilble are they for tailoring your classes to the needs of the parents in them, and most importantly - which one feels most authentic to you. Which one can you put time, money, tears, and your heart into. Take time to research, talk to others who work with them and ask specific probing questions.

HTH!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:23 PM

I was fortunate to find BACE, as it is close to my area... it is the Boston Association of Childbirth Educators, a group of CBE's, doulas, and nurses who train CBE's through a yearlong, person-to-person training program. It was important to me to find classes to attend rather than correspondance learning, and I really enjoy meeting with the women. It is once a month all day on a Saturday for the whole school year, plus some conference attendance on related topics, held at area hospitals. In the spring it is two Sat's a month, so this is easy to fit into my schedule too. It offers a lot and costs less than a few of the correspondance classes I checked out. So for Boston area folks, check it out!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:02 PM

I did my certification through the University of California San Diego- it was a 6 month program (around one weekend a month) and was SUPER thorough! I can't say enough good things about it- we had to observe/doula at 5 births, observe 3 full series, student teach 3 full series, observe perinatal classes, and become certified as doulas. We had a full weekend on the business end of things, had to read about 25+ books (including textbooks), and had to create dozens of lesson plans, compile hundreds of resources (handouts, videos, etc.). The instructors were amazing, and I can honestly say that it was the best thing I have ever done. When I talk to my friends who were certified through CAPPA and ALACE and ICEA and did the self study programs with one weekend in person, we are all amazed at the HUGE difference in what I got out of my training compared to them. Yes, it was a big time commitment, but I was able to do it while working full time, and I am so much the better educator for it.

It might be worth looking into similar programs offered by universities in your area- check their Extension programs.

Good luck with your journey!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:53 PM

hippiemom - I tried to pm you but your box is full. I'm in the Boston area and would love more information on BACE.

User Tag List