Mothering Forum banner

What do you have your GBS+ clients do?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  safe womb 
#1 ·
Hello all. I just tested positive for Group B Strep at 36.5 weeks. Someone suggested I post on this board to ask how the midwives out there treat/monitor this during birth/pgcy. I'd like to go about this is the most natural way possible, but I understand the safety issues. I also like to avoid antibiotics, but understand that this may be one time where they are nesc. Oh, and has anyone worked with a GBS+ mother in a homebirth setting, or used a water birth with a GBS+ mom? Also I tested negative when I had my 3 year old, so does it come and go, or is it here to stay? I know this is alot of ?'s but Im feeling overwhelmed right now. Thanks Emily

#2 ·
I tested GBS positive at 36 weeks with Dd and my midwives had me use hibiclens (sp?) as a vaginal wash 3x daily for a week or 2 and then retest, which came out negative. This time, they have suggested I use hibiclens for the week prior to my test, and then to continue until birth. I bought it at the drugstore, mixed it with water in a squirt bottle and used it that way. I ended up with an antibiotic drip anyways, b/c of being transported to the hospital due to meconium.

Hope this helps,
Jess

#3 ·
there was a great article on MWs and GBS in the fall issue of Midwifery Today, it mentions herbal douches for preventing/treating GBS. visit www.midwiferytoday.com I think you can do a search and read the article online. And you are correct, GBS can go and come.

I do not know the answer to the waterbirth question, but I have been reading some midwife e-list discussions pointing out that municipal water supplies contain a signifigant amount of chlorine which is there to prevent bad things growing in our water, and that water itself is inherently mildly anti bacterial, and it disspates organisms that could be present in it. maybe you could do some research along those lines? what I was reading had to do with active herpes and waterbirth, but the comments about water still apply.

For Jess - a question about hibiclens: did you have irritation using it as a vag. wash? I am assuming you mean similarly to a douche, using the squirt bottle and diluting with water. I am a super sensitive person, prone to yeast, and would imagine that antibacterial cleanser would actually increase my irritation and mess up the natural flora balance that helps protect against GBS. but maybe not.

-Lau

#4 ·
Yes, as a vaginal wash, but on the outside, not actually inserted into the vagina. I don't remember having any irritation, and I tend to be sensitive and prone to yeast, too. My midwife comes on Friday, so I'll ask her why she had me use that product and what her rationale is.

I'm going to check out the site you mentioned as well, and see if I can use those things in place of the hibiclens.

warmly,

Jess

#5 ·
I give my Moms a herbal recipe that they mix with water & jsut a bit of betadine or hibiclens & they use the mix as a gentle vagina wash twice/day in the last two weeks. Everyone has come back negative if they use it faithfully, I also teach them to wash themselves after every BM & lovemaking session. & definitely no practice of anal sex. karen of BirthTender in the foothills of the NC Mtns.

#6 ·
What are the herbs to be used as an external wash?
Grapeseed extract is one I've heard of, do you just steep them as an infusion and apply?
Will inserting EPO have a negative effect on GBS "treatments"?
I'd been planning to use the EPO on the advice of other vbac moms, prior to testing pos. earlier this week.

TIA,
Tracy

#7 ·
I'm hesitant to give out the mix over the Internet, but i would speak to your caregiver/advisor about it, if you would like. It does not contain grapeseed oil. I would want to speak w/ my clients individually about the matter of any oils rubbed directly on the cervix & let them decide. karen of BirthTender

#8 ·
I had a client with GBS in a homebirth setting and she chose to use the IV antibiotics. We gave her a hep-lock and dosed her every 4 hours with the antibiotics. I thought she handled it beautifully, it didn't take center stage, just every 4 hrs we connected the IV and she had all her sisters and us midwives supporting her in whatever position was comfortable and her baby was fine postpartum. GBS is an odd one and can be potentially very dangerous but you know best what's right for your body and baby. Incidently, with her 2nd baby she did not test positive for GBS. Good luck and peaceful birthing.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.