My midwifery school lost it's accreditation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've wanted to be a midwife for so long. I've finally gotten to the point in my life where I'm ready to pursue a midwifery education. I live in FL, so you must go to formal (accredited) midwifery school to become an LM. I was accepted into a local school, and right before I was to start, they lost their MEAC accreditation.

The only other 2 schools in the state of FL are both 3+ hours away from me. Moving is not an option for me right now. I'm really sad about this. If I have to travel the 3+ hours each week, I will, but I'd rather not. Being a midwife is so important to me.

Can anyone recommend a distance learning program in midwifery that is accepted by the state of FL? I even have a perceptor line up already. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#2 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 08:15 PM

Unfortunately, FL doesn't currently accept distance education credits. If I am wrong, PLEASE someone correct me. I'd love to be wrong about this. Which school lost it's accredidation?

You can backdoor kind of stuff and go to a school out of FL (like Midwives College of Utah) then do a 4 month liscensure by endorsement...

I'm so sorry! I'm also very far away from the school and it's very hard with kids...
#3 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Agape was the school I was supposed to go to. It was formerly known as Manna school of midwifery. It is in Ft. Myers. Now my only other two options are Miami Dade (which I hear is great) or Gainesville Traditional school of Midwifery. I did my doula training at that birth center and LOVED it, but it's just so far.... I'm right in the middle of the two. Both are over 3 hours away.

I guess I'll have to drive to one of the schools. Which do you attend (if you don't mind my asking) and why?

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#4 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian
Agape was the school I was supposed to go to. It was formerly known as Manna school of midwifery. It is in Ft. Myers. Now my only other two options are Miami Dade (which I hear is great) or Gainesville Traditional school of Midwifery. I did my doula training at that birth center and LOVED it, but it's just so far.... I'm right in the middle of the two. Both are over 3 hours away.

I guess I'll have to drive to one of the schools. Which do you attend (if you don't mind my asking) and why?
I went to MDC and it was great. When I was there, there were students from north Florida who drove down for classes and bunked with other students. If your baby is still nursing, he's welcome to attend class with you.The first year is tough, the classes are 3 days a week, but the second year you will only need to travel once a month.
#5 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 08:39 PM

FSTM in Gainesville is the school that I attended. I am taking time off for my 4th baby. I really loved it, and liked what I saw of MDC too, and it was much, much cheaper! But, I have family in Gainesville, so I thought it would be easier.

Good luck to you!
#6 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry this happened! While I'm not a huge fan of accreditation, I know that it's virtually impossible to be a legal mw in states like WA & FL without it. It just sucks.
#7 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 09:40 PM

WOw, that really blows! My Dh is toying around w/ the idea of taking a potentially wonderful job back in FL.(we just moved to GA from Sarasota last year.) I told him if he took the job, I would insist on starting midwifery school at Agape. Now, I think I'll have to say no to moving back.

I'm sorry the rug was pulled out from under you at this point in time. Is there any chance they will get it back? I don't know how it all works.
#8 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

On the MEAC site it says that a final ruling has been made, so I'm guessing that they will not be able to re-apply for accreditation for a while. I'm going to e-mail the director tonight and see what she says.

I guess I'm lucky that I didn't start their program and have to stop mid-program. I feel bad for all of those who were already enrolled in the program.

I really HATE the laws surrounding midwifery in FL. *sigh*

#9 of 16 Old 09-27-2005, 10:06 PM

wow, that is a super bummer. i like the idea of doing the utah school and then a 4 month licensure by endorsement if you want to practice in fl. that would probably be easiest for you. i just finished up at FSTM, and i liked it. it is fairly commuter friendly. they have classes 2 days a week (back to back) for the first year, and then it usually slows to every other week, and then in the last semester or two its only every 3 or 4 weeks that you come up for one day. they do extra stuff, like rotations at the local hospital and some other clinic stuff, but generally they try to make it friendly to commuters, and they help hook you up with a mw in your area.

3 of the 8 students in my class came for 2 hours away, and another 2 came from an hour away.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#10 of 16 Old 09-27-2005, 10:44 PM

what does the school say? why did they loose cred? are they willing to fix it and can they fix it? was it due to site inspection or their program, or because of previous student's test scores???
#11 of 16 Old 09-27-2005, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't heard anything from them. The director e-mailed me when I applied (back in July) saying that they were having meetings with the state accreditation board and that I would have to wait and start in early fall. She said she would let me know the date soon. That was the last I heard.

Their website is no longer up. The MEAC website said that the ruling is final. It doesn't sound too good.

#12 of 16 Old 09-28-2005, 02:39 AM

I am sorry , this can be a problem with having midwifery rely on schools they have to stay accredited and solvent ....

perhaps your situation will change

just because this particular school did not pass muster this time around does not mean a school cannot ever happen there-yes it will take reforming but maybe there is already energy and able bodies around to support the school- try and find out what you can and if there are any efforts to make another school...
#13 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 11:29 AM

I was going to go to Agape, too, but they never followed up on my application.

Miami-Dade does sound wonderful, but I could not swing the 3 days in a row, or the malpractice insurance at $4,700.00 a year...... made FSTM, much more affordable.

Most of the women in my class car pool from the Tampa area, and then from my area, Brevard county.... central Fl.

It is a wonderful school, thus far. I have learned more in 5 weeks than I ever imagined possible.

Check out the Gainesville school. There is a Freshwoman scholarship and a wonderful group of women that are a fantastic resource.

pm me. I bet you could find someone to ride with.

~Michelle
#14 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 02:13 PM

I am a former Agape and MDC midwifery student and can tell you the only way to go is with ISOM. The program is in miami and tuition is FREE
the only fee is a 100.00 a month lab fee. Classes are well taught and all precepting is done on site. The school also has very exciting news, Discovery health is airing a reality tv series called the house of babies and it is about ISOM and the miami maternity center. The series is 26 episodes long and debuted on Sep 26. It is on every mon at 8am 12pm 3pm and on sat at 9am. This show will bring great things to midwifery. I live in Naples and travel across with my fellow student and future partner Mercedes. I would love to give any more info to any one interested.

AnneMarie
#15 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

I've seen the show on discovery health and liked it. Thanks for the info, if you could pm me any more info I'd appreciate it.

#16 of 16 Old 10-08-2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annemarier
can tell you the only way to go is with ISOM
AnneMarie
Is there a website or a place that I can get more information? I noticed on the show that it seems like the students don't do very many catches because the director steps in. Is that how it really is or maybe that's just on the births that were aired?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page