polyhydramnios - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-26-2005, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you tell me what you know about this? What can someone with polyhydramnios do to prevent pre-term labour? Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 10-26-2005, 03:19 PM

I do not know alot about this. I had a client who had this and her OB's were never worried about pre term labor they were worried about her water breaking and having a poss cord prolapse. They wanted to induce at 39wks to prevent this and she refused. She did end up going into labor on her own. But she had a c/s for "failure to descend". The baby did not want to come down. : I googled it and found a lot of info for her. Try looking on midwifery today and other sites and searching for polyhydramniosis.
Allison

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#3 of 8 Old 10-27-2005, 09:48 AM

From what I understand, (I've had 1 client with poly) it's sometimes a cause for concern, especially when it starts in the 2nd trimester. Meaning, usually there is a reason why there is too much fluid. There are several different things that can cause it and it's usually something with babe. That being said, it's not ALWAYS cause for concern...especially when it develops late in pregnancy. I checked out www.gentlebirth.org. Also Midwifery Today forums. Lots of great info there. I'm not very well-informed on the correlation between poly and pre-term labor, though.
#4 of 8 Old 10-27-2005, 10:04 AM

I had a client diagnosed with it,and yeah the biggest concern seemed to be not pre term labor, but the cord prolapse as someone mentioned. She did fine though.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#5 of 8 Old 10-27-2005, 01:29 PM

There can be several reasons and risks with polyhydramnios (poly) including pre-term labor (PTL).

PTL would become an issue if the mom is so big the uterus reaches capacity, similar to a multiple gestation pregnancy. It isn't uncommon for a poly mom (and I am speaking in these disassociative terms only here with sister doulas/midwives - I do not call moms "poly moms") to be put on bedrest near the end of pregnancy for two reasons: PTL and cord prolapse avoidance.

I want to address two things: why there might be poly and how to help a mom resolve it during the pregnancy (and how to manage care providers!).

1. Poly typically occurs for one of two reasons... either there is a fetal anomaly or gestational diabetes (and I rarely believe it even exists, but have seen it with seriously diabetic women who are only technically diabetic in pregnancy). Ultrasounds and amniocentesis are often employed to look for anomalies and a 3 hour glucose tolerance test requested no matter where in the pregnancy mom is. Sometimes the anomaly isn't found for years and I have said to women - maybe they (their babies) will have a tendency to hangnails or something... who knows sometimes.

My partner of 20 years had poly during her pregnancy. When my step-son was born, she was 36 weeks gestation and had a fundal height of 48. It took almost a year to learn he had epilepsy and mild cerebral palsy.

Of course, you don't want to TELL your client something like that - unless you are the only care provider. I generally say something like the hangnail comment and tell them "we often don't know what's going on inside, but might discover it as time passes - nothing to fret about or stare at the child about, but just tucked in our heads somewhere" - something like that.

My latest poly client was measuring 8cm above her expected fundal height - and growing. She opted for a visit to the perinatalogist and a couple of seriously long and detailed ultrasounds. She also took the 3 hour GTT and "passed." No anomalies were found and mom felt in her heart that all was well. She tried to find a less hysterical doctor (the perinatalogist wanted to do many more ultrasounds and schedule an induction for 36-37 weeks), but the OB she found (insurance prohibited going to an OB we would normally have referred her to) was even more high drama - twice weekly NSTs, an ultrasound every 2 weeks... and she was 30 weeks pregnant!

She decided to stay with me and to add even more to the fun, the baby flipped from breech to vertex every few days. She still wanted a homebirth even if the baby remained breech.

Which brings us to what to do when a woman has polyhydramnios.

2. Many alternative ideas work with women wishing to resolve poly - or at least lessen the impact on the body and thereby chilling the caregiver.

* soaking in an Epsom Salt bath, as deep as she can, with half a small box of the salts every day. Epsom Salt is what we also encourage women with PIH/blood pressure issues/loads of swelling to do as it balances the fluids in the mom's body. Epsom Salt *is* Magnesium Sulphate - which is given to moms via IV when they have PIH issues. It is much less damaging and far more beneficial to moms in a tub of water. Many women find they begin to lose their swelling or their BP goes down within 2 soaks. Once the issue has resolved, moving to every other day or every three days to maintain is great. Mom should drink about half a gallon of water during her one hour soak and *talk to the baby about what is going on!* Prayer, meditation, inner quiet all help as many moms with poly are so inclined to worry that they aren't taking half a second to BE in the pregnancy anymore. Soaking affords that time, even with moms of small ones - someone needs to take them for an hour if at all possible.

* Acupuncture is amazing in regulating poly. I have seen it do wonders.

* Chiropractic can also balance the body and allow whatever was blocked to flow - including water. It also aids in strengthening the kidneys and liver so the body isn't taxed during the work of carrying the extra fluid. Same with back adjustments... the extra weight can be burdensome for many women.

* Homeopathy is another idea that many try. I don't know the exact remedy to use (I send the women to a homeopath - it isn't my forte, unfortunately), but know that women find relief this way, too.

* Amniocentesis is sometimes offered to pull some fluid out of the uterus. It doesn't always replace itself, but sometimes it does. Each woman needs to decide on this choice for herself.

Knowing that there might be a reason for the poly can help - even if it is unknown. Perhaps the cord is short and needs the fluid to stay hovering. Perhaps the baby needs the fluid to learn to swim so she can be in the Olympics one day. Sometimes, it's anyone's guess.

However, in 50% of the cases, there *is* a reason - many of which are spina bifida, gastrointestinal tract, or digestive tract issues. More rarely, it can be Down Syndrome, heart problems, physical abnormalities, etc.

Some women want to explore why. Others do not. Each needs to be supported in her choice. Some women once planning a homebirth, change to a hospital birth - sometimes even induced or a scheduled cesarean. I trust women to "know" where they and their babies need to be. I offer information and love - the rest is up to them... and then I am there as support.

My client did almost all of the above natural ideas and her fundal height, by delivery at 40 weeks, was a mere 2cm above expected. She attributes the soaks and the chiro to the most help for her. She had a beautiful 10 pound 6 ounce baby boy who has a gorgeous red port wine stain on his hand (it looks like he played in kool-aid!). Was this the reason for his poly? We might never know.

Hope this helps.
L J likes this.
#6 of 8 Old 10-28-2005, 03:57 PM

I had poly with my third child, developed in about the 6th month. At 39 weeks I measured about 47 cm. Preterm labor was not a concern. On the contrary it was getting into labor that was more difficult. I had started labor 3 times and stalled due to my son floating back up and not fully engaging. Very frustrating. He was measuring 10+ lbs at that point. Cord prolapse was my main concern at the time, should my water break and gush wihtout him being well engaged. My midwife's suggestion of "put your feet up and call 911 if that happens" was not satisfactory to me. I instead went to my family practitioner for a consult (after 9 months of lay midwifery care) and he suggested I come to the hospital in the morning to be induced. "Induced" here meant that he would break my water with a tiny tear, and just keep his hand there so the water flowed slowly and the cord would have less chance of coming down. This made sense, and worked. By late afternoon I was in full, FAST labor, my 10 lb 2 oz son was born in just 2 hours. No problems, he came right out into my own hands, it was fantastic. No issues with him (he is a healthy 5 year old today) and I did not test + for GD at the time. Who knows? The midwife I had was very blase about it, nothing like the wonderful lay midwifery care and homebirth I had had with my daughter before. It's just this time my midwife was an MD, and a male at that. He was very non invasive and his gentle common sense approach worked to reassure me. I did have a lot of bleeding after the birth, this can arise with a verrry stretched out uterus (and third child). Vigorous massage by several nurses, being sponged with cool cloths, helped me keep consciousness, pass large clots, and clamp down. No drugs were needed for the birth or afterward.
I left the hospital within 24 hours with my intact, unvaccinated, happily sleeping enormous son! Just wanted to share my story, good luck to you
#7 of 8 Old 10-28-2005, 10:55 PM

The homebirth practice I trained in had excellent results treating polyhydramnios with homeopathic natrum muriaticum (nat mur) 200c. A dose is given and repeated 3 days later if necessary. It helps rebalance the water within the body and is also useful for edema.

If you can only get a lower potency (we are lucky to have a homeopathic pharmacy in our town) you should increase the frequency of the dosage (30c once per day, 6 c 3 times per day) and repeat for several days.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#8 of 8 Old 10-30-2005, 04:54 AM

My 4th child was an 11 pounder. I had large amounts of fluid with him.

I know there is a correlation between GD and poly but I would like to surmise that a large volume of fluid and a BIG baby correlate. I keep seeing this in perfectly healthy pregnancies, no GD and no other abnormalities. Big babies need a little more room to swim/make more fluid...Would this be the other 50%? Would knowing this let us look closer at these Mamas and then let it rest when we ruled out a problem?

As an aside, I will say that the only thing I did different between my other pregnancies resulting in 7 pound babies and this big baby was drank red reasberry leaf tea throughout the pregnancy. lol

Hmmm...I'll ponder this further...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page