Aspiring midwives or doulas - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 230 Old 12-15-2005, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMommy
BTW, around here, "failure to progress" (aka failure to wait) would have NOT ended with her being sent home...rather to the OR...so she's a lucky mama!
Yes, I'm glad she had the courage to just leave the hospital and not go for the induction. She's a strong mama.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#62 of 230 Old 12-15-2005, 03:34 PM

Hello!

I am working on being a doula. Have my first "official" birth next month. I took the ALACE training and loved it. It was awesome! I birth and feel really passionately about it.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#63 of 230 Old 12-16-2005, 06:14 PM

Hey! I am Sarah, mom of three small girls and a doula for five years. I am getting my feet wet with homebirth midwifery and I feel so blessed. I have had my last two at home and I absolutely can't stand the hospital, so homebirth is the only way for me. Minnesota has horrible CNM's (pretty much like OB's) and there is a huge difference between the two.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#64 of 230 Old 12-16-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian
Yes, I'm glad she had the courage to just leave the hospital and not go for the induction. She's a strong mama.
She had her baby this morning. She did so well, no medication until it was time to push. Then the OB realized that her baby flipped into complete breech (during the labor) and she had to have a quick c-section. She handled the labor beautifully, I am so proud of her.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#65 of 230 Old 12-16-2005, 09:42 PM

Yep, amazing how women just "have to" have c-sections for breech. But awesome work on the no meds!!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#66 of 230 Old 12-17-2005, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachinmaof3
Are there any aspiring doulas who have never attended a birth other than your own? :LOL I'm just dying to attend a birth to experience it not as the Mama, but as a support person.

I'm workign towards being a certified doula thru DONA. I've not attended any birtsh by my own yet. I've read it all, and been thru training and now I'm oh so patiently waiting for one of my handful of potential clients to chose me and go into labour!

I'm actually on call tonight for a doula I've never met and a client I've never met. i'm super nervous!!!

I've considered being a midwife in the future. But right now I'm totally more than content being a doula. I feel on real desire to persue it right now. I like having the freedom to comfort and not have to deal with all the "medical" issues... just a little benefit IMO.

are you persuing certification, teachinmaof3?

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#67 of 230 Old 12-17-2005, 06:16 AM

I've finally decided to apply to the Birthingway College of Midwifery here in Portland, OR for the spring 2007 class. They only accept 15 students a year so hopefully I'll get in.
I'll post more when I'm not NAK!
#68 of 230 Old 12-17-2005, 07:46 PM

punky ~ I'm starting the reading part of it now. Hopefully this time next year I can get started on all the other stuff. Money and the age of my kids is an issue right now.
#69 of 230 Old 12-17-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
She had her baby this morning. She did so well, no medication until it was time to push. Then the OB realized that her baby flipped into complete breech (during the labor) and she had to have a quick c-section. She handled the labor beautifully, I am so proud of her.
good for her! i have to say that the whole breech=c/s just drives me up a wall. it makes me want this baby to be breech just so i can NOT have a c/s lol!!!!!!
not really though.

one of the 1st births i attended as a student was a birth center birth where the mom came in at 8cm, doing great, and then her water broke while i was in the room alone with her and i saw thick, gooey yucky stuff coming out- i was like OMFG- what is that?!?!?! the mw came in, saw it, and checked FHT and her cervix, and said "your complete, and she's breech!" called 911 and mom was sectioned. ridiculous.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#70 of 230 Old 12-17-2005, 10:17 PM

oh guess i should introduce myself lol! my name is jen and i just graduated in october- i am finishing up my births- 5 more to go (out of 75- i cant believe i have attended 70 women in the past two years!!!!) and then i take the NARM in february. yay!!! last month i started working full time as the office manager at the birth center that i apprentice at, and i teach cbe 2 nights a week, once for my birth center and another night for a hospital based birth center. i have a 23 month old ds and an 11 week old db (in my belly). dp stays at home now. i plan on stopping work when db is born and staying home again, except for teaching cbe, and then when this babe is old enough i will begin practicing.

it is really exciting to be almost done. while i have mixed feelings about the politics surrounding the birth center i work in (anyone familiar with the birth center of gainesville and our school knows what i am talking about), the midwives i work with are PHENOMENAL and the women are amazing. we just hired a new midwife, marina alzugaray- some of you might have heard of her!! im very excited to hopefully attend a few births with her before i am done.

i have had doubts on and off throughout my schooling because the path to midwifery tha ti chose is really hard and sometimes ridiculously strewn with red tape and forms filled out in triplicate, iykwim. but all paths to midwifery are hard. right now i am struggling with how interventive the midwives i know are, and am trying to reconcile that with the UC-ish births that i consider ideal. but i know that UC-type birth is not ideal for most women, and some women need and want more hands on care than i want for myself. one of the things that bugs me the most is constant checking for placental separation and cord pulsation-

but whatever, i have been so blessed to be a part of these births, and i dont regret a minute of my training. i am sad that i wont be attending births for a while after these 5 are done, but at the same time it is going to be a relief to not be on call 24/7! if only i wasnt pg so i could go out and have a few drinks!!!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

#71 of 230 Old 12-18-2005, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma
good for her! i have to say that the whole breech=c/s just drives me up a wall.
We live in FL and everyone here is scared to death of liability suits. Most (if not all) midwifes won't do VBACS at home or birth centers, Lots stay away from breech births, and c-sections are just about as common as epidurals.

Would a midwife be able to deliver a complete breech baby vaginally? My client was 42 weeks along and they were afraid of a larger baby. I did ask the OB if there was anything they could do to encourage the baby to turn and deliver vaginally. She said no because her water had broken and she was 42 weeks. The baby's bottom was wedged in the birth canal when the took her out.

Would a midwife have reacted the same way? Does true (complete) breech always = cesarean?

#72 of 230 Old 12-18-2005, 02:02 AM

I'm a Bachelor of Midwifery student.
Its a three year fulltime direct entry course.
I was just over half way through second year when I began a 12 month leave of absense to get my life sorted (3 kids, + a lotta personal issues, nuff said!).
I cannot wait to become a midwife however the course has been a terrible disappointment. Its rigid. Of the 28 students who started with me in first year there are only 16 remaining. Many wonderful women who would've made great midwives. We aren't "allowed" to attend homebirths, the clinical components are based at hospitals with really medical models of care. Its been distressing & disallusioning (which is why you'll find me whinging about the clinicals ALOT). However it has strengthened my resolve to change the system, overthrow the old guard and stop folks from trying the take birth away from women.

To those interested in vaginal breech look up Maggie Banks, she's a New Zealand midwife, she's great.
#73 of 230 Old 12-18-2005, 02:25 AM

Hi again. I introduced myself earlier, but I am coming back to give a little more background and jump in the conversation.

I took my ALACE training last summer and have lived in Wichita for a couple of months, so I am finally starting to feel settled and ready to start my doula work. I have to admit though, I am a little scared. I almost got to attend my first birth, but in the last month the baby was found to have swelling and a section was planned. So, I got to rub mom's feet pre section and sit in a waiting room a long time instead. It was a good learning experience though...I only wish the mom would finally fill out my eval form so I can at least count it toward my certification.

I am really needing to put myself out there, but I keep hearing this voice in my head that asks if I will suck at this?

I am leaning toward becoming a midwife and as of today, DH is really pushing for me to start a program and work as a doula while and do the schooling. So, I have lots of decisions to make. I am looking into AAMI and also the distance program from the school in Ashland Oregon, so if anyone has any feedback, please let me know.

My biggest concerns are juggling children with the early part of being an apprentice. DH says we will work it out, but I feel like I need to pre-plan this. Am I looking to far ahead? I really want to have another babe, but not if that means that it will be 3 more years before I can start anything.

I really appreciate the insight that all of you are giving me into the world of birthwork. Thank you all.

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
#74 of 230 Old 12-18-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
We live in FL and everyone here is scared to death of liability suits. Most (if not all) midwifes won't do VBACS at home or birth centers, Lots stay away from breech births, and c-sections are just about as common as epidurals.

Would a midwife be able to deliver a complete breech baby vaginally? My client was 42 weeks along and they were afraid of a larger baby. I did ask the OB if there was anything they could do to encourage the baby to turn and deliver vaginally. She said no because her water had broken and she was 42 weeks. The baby's bottom was wedged in the birth canal when the took her out.

Would a midwife have reacted the same way? Does true (complete) breech always = cesarean?
i live in fl too and midwives are not legally allowed to deliver breeches or vbacs, unless we can get an OB to sign off on her case (you can guess how likely that is to happen- most docs wont even do it, let alone sign off on a mw to do it!!!)

but, breech babies, especially complete or frank breeches, can be born vaginally. the danger of head entrapment is really only in premature babies, or if you are trying to get mom to push before she is completely dilated or you are otherwise manipulating the baby unwisely. if you are delivering a breech, i think it is important to have a trained attendant ( ie someone who is familiar with breech delivery- most docs have never seen a vaginal breech or had much training in how to deal with it), because if your attendant isnt familiar with breech, than they are likely to manipulate the baby in ways that are unsafe. "hands off the breech" is really true.
in truth, most midwives probably have more training in how to deliver breeches than most doctors. i know that we have extensive training in breech and twin deliveries, just in case.

#75 of 230 Old 12-20-2005, 03:55 PM

I just wanted to chime in to say that I attended a beautiful and very fast homebirth last night ! Do any of you apprentices/doulas keep track of the births you attend? If you do what type of things do you write down to try to remember? How do you maintain HIPPA standards? I think that was about the twentieth birth I have attended and I feel like I am forgetting things and I know that there are things I should be writing down to review later like things that went well/ or didn't go well. And or we should be sharing those things with each other.
#76 of 230 Old 12-20-2005, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpetitte
Do any of you apprentices/doulas keep track of the births you attend? If you do what type of things do you write down to try to remember? How do you maintain HIPPA standards?
I take notes. I write down times of examinations, membrane rupture, complete dialation, pushing start time, stop time, birth time, APGAR scores, weight and height of baby, etc. I also include any special notes that make for a nice birth story to personalize the story for the mom. I have my clients sign a HIPPA consent form before taking any notes. The doula who trained me gave me a blank HIPPA consent form to use.

Honestly I don't know much about HIPPA, but I try to keep my client info private by never realeasing names or specifics on births. I think it is ok to share things about a birth as long as client confidentiality is maintained.
Does anyone know where we can learn more about HIPPA standards?

#77 of 230 Old 12-20-2005, 08:19 PM

Jillian~ I love that we can share and learn together on this forum! Here is the HIPPA info. I had to read for nursing school- most of it would apply to any healthcare worker:

http://www.provost.wisc.edu/hipaa/traininguwhcc.html

You take many more notes than me probably because your a doula and need it for you records. I was just trying to think of what things I should write down to help me down the road as a midwife, sorta like things I want to remember. Any suggestions for that?
#78 of 230 Old 12-20-2005, 09:53 PM

I'm proud and humbled to say that I attended my first "official" birth as a doula on Sunday. It was long, hard, challenging, emotional, and more, and I'm still processing it.

I didn't expect a persistant OP baby, a mom who hadn't slept in 40 hours or kept food down for almost as long, and a nurse who told us early and often that laboring moms do better in bed. It ended after 3 hours of pushing in a CS because mom just simply couldn't find it in her to push any more.

I have so many questions, I'll post some for the more experienced ladies later.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#79 of 230 Old 12-20-2005, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Jillian~ I love that we can share and learn together on this forum! Here is the HIPPA info. I had to read for nursing school- most of it would apply to any healthcare worker:
http://www.provost.wisc.edu/hipaa/traininguwhcc.html
Thanks for that link!

Quote:
You take many more notes than me probably because your a doula and need it for you records. I was just trying to think of what things I should write down to help me down the road as a midwife, sorta like things I want to remember. Any suggestions for that?
Maybe just the basics then, like gestation, length of labor, size of baby, etc. You'd probably want to really document any special situations like breech, twins, sholder distocia, etc. since those are less common. I plan on keeping detailed records of all my births, so I can make a birth book full of birth stories to look back on. It's fun for me to look back on birth stories and analyze them and see what I can do better the next time.

#80 of 230 Old 12-21-2005, 05:37 PM

Jilian~ Yeah, thats a great idea! It is very helpful to look back on the births and what went well and what you would like to do better next time.

memiles~ I will be interested to hear your questions. I attended a birth the other day with a OP baby and I'm sure this mama would have had a CS in the hospital but luckily we were at a birth center. She also had the stereotypical OP labor, it was very long and she pushed for 4 or 5 hours (I can't remember- its a blur ). She was a rockstar! Ended up with a healthy, beautiful baby! When your ready to chat/process, I can tell you what we tried and eventually that baby did turn.
#81 of 230 Old 12-21-2005, 08:29 PM

Wow, i just read through almost all the post on this thread and have decided to introduce myself.
I have thought about the idea of becoming a doula ever since I heard about them and knew what it was. hmmm, years ago, dont know exactly when. It has jsut been the last 6 months or so that I have thought about it as a reality. I am one of those who always thinks " that would be nice, but I could never do that" simply because I dont know where to start.
SOOOO, I dont know where to start! I live in a real small town and work part time at a local post office. As good as a job with the Postal service is, it really is not very rewarding to mail peoples packages.

I see most people here are midwives, or going to be, ect. I would LOVE to go on to be a CNM, BUT that requires becoming a nurse and I dont know if i could do that. I dont want to be a nurse in any other way, or start as a nurses assistant, or anything like that as I am not interested in other types of medical work at all. The problem is that as crunchy as I am now, I still am terrified of homebirth. Birth center setup is OK, with a fast plan to the hospital. (I am NOT criticizing anyone who does or is involved in homebirth in any way!!) so that throws out any other type of midwifery.

My long term dream has been to become an ultrasound tech. I am very mathamatical and have a science centered mind. Just can help it. I have all the same crunchy feelings that most of you do I'm sure when it comes to having babies(pg and birth are normal, natural, and in most cases need no intervention at all), but I am sooo fascinated with what ultrasound can do. I could go on forever. anyways, I guess that makes my actual dream this. I would like to work as an ultrasound tech for a day job and doula on the side.

School is out of the question right now but I would really like to begin the journey to becoming a doula. My youngest is 2 now so I feel the kids are old enough for me to do this. WE just found out a cousin and good friend of mine is pg and she really wants me to act as doula for her labor and delivery so I am shopping for books right now so I can begin reading and studying up!

Where do I start. This is such a small town. there is one doula in town that I know of so I know there isnt much a possible client population out there. And I am sure no one would want me to shadow them and learn so that I can just go on to take clients that could have been more for her. KWIM?

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#82 of 230 Old 12-21-2005, 09:44 PM

Mamato3cherubs~ How exciting for you! The first thing I would do is look into Doula training. I would look into the DONA website for upcoming trainings: http://www.dona.org/. That will give you a good idea of where to start. I would also read lots of books, I think there is a thread here somewhere on suggested books. I would definitely read the Birth Partner, Spiritual Midwifery, etc...

Quote:
The problem is that as crunchy as I am now, I still am terrified of homebirth. Birth center setup is OK, with a fast plan to the hospital. (I am NOT criticizing anyone who does or is involved in homebirth in any way!!) so that throws out any other type of midwifery.
Don't take this the wrong way , that quote worries me a little. No matter what aspect of birth you work with (Doula or midwife) this is the most important part. You really have to work through this otherwise you will be holding this energy of distrust. I would suggest reading, studying, talking to people who trust birth- the internet is a great resource. Also, see if you can find a homebirth midwife to shadow or apprentice to give you a real appreciation for the normalcy of birth. CNMs also can do homebirth.
#83 of 230 Old 12-21-2005, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Mamato3cherubs~ How exciting for you! The first thing I would do is look into Doula training. I would look into the DONA website for upcoming trainings: http://www.dona.org/. That will give you a good idea of where to start. I would also read lots of books, I think there is a thread here somewhere on suggested books. I would definitely read the Birth Partner, Spiritual Midwifery, etc...

Don't take this the wrong way , that quote worries me a little. No matter what aspect of birth you work with (Doula or midwife) this is the most important part. You really have to work through this otherwise you will be holding this energy of distrust. I would suggest reading, studying, talking to people who trust birth- the internet is a great resource. Also, see if you can find a homebirth midwife to shadow or apprentice to give you a real appreciation for the normalcy of birth. CNMs also can do homebirth.
I agree that there needs to be trust in birth. Peggy Vincent's book "The baby catcher" and Ina May Gaskin's books "Spiritual midwifery" and "Ina May's guide to childbirth" REALLY helped me to completely trust in birth. It helped me to let go of the few reservations about birth that I was hanging on to. As for doula training, you can also do training through CAPPA or ALACE. I chose CAPPA. Here is a great link that compares several doula training organizations:

http://www.mother-care.ca/CDchart.html

Check it out and see which one works best for you! In the meantime, just keep reading reading reading all the birth books you can get your hands on.

#84 of 230 Old 12-21-2005, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, Im not really sure how to put this into words. I couldnt have a homebirth myself. The position of Doula is different than the position of the midwife. I dont have a problem with others choices to homebirth(cant say how I would feel if it was my sister or daughter however). As a doula my responsibility would lie in helping the mother. The midwife is responsible for the well being of the baby. I know that sounds harsh and maybe a bit out of reality, but I hope you can get what Im saying. As afraid as I am of the posible outcome of homebirth gone wrong, I know I can seperate myself from it as long as I dont have to be the responsible one if there is a problem. Like I said before I know that sounds harsh but it is the only way I think I can type it out.

Thanks for the link! I am going to check into it, I know that there used to be a certification about an hour away, it might come down to money holding me back for a little while.

Unfortunantly we dont have any midwives in this area. I think the closest homebirth midwife is 2 cities and 2 hours away. We had a nice birthcenter in town run by a CNM that had been practicing here for many years but in our state they have a hard time. It was big political trouble with insurance payments and such and the midwives working there couldnt afford to keep it going any more so they shut down and she retired. Oh, i take it back there is one midwife in town working with one of the OBs, but the reputation she has is worse than the worst OB in town.

We dont even have a worthy OB any more, there was only one good one in town and he had a major medical problem and was forced to retire. Most of the drs have all been forced out of OB work due to unrealistically over blown malpractice insurance prices. But Im sure most are familiar with those things and we dont need to go there, but it has had an affect on the situation with midwifes as well.
Maybe I should just move!!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#85 of 230 Old 12-21-2005, 10:51 PM

I keep forgetting to ask, has anyone heard of something called "baby balm"? At the birth I attended a few days ago the nurse came in (she was also a doula) when my client was around 8 cm (with a bulging bag of waters) and asked if she was sensitive to smells. My client said no and the nurse pulled out this little essential-oil type bottle and told my client's DH to rub it on her lower back. He did and within 5 mins her water broke and she was complete shortly after. I asked her about it later on and she said it helped stimulate the release of oxytocin and it was a "blend of herbs" but that was really all she said. I'd like to hear more about it is anyone knows anything about it.

#86 of 230 Old 12-21-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I agree that there needs to be trust in birth. Peggy Vincent's book "The baby catcher" and Ina May Gaskin's books "Spiritual midwifery" and "Ina May's guide to childbirth" REALLY helped me to completely trust in birth. It helped me to let go of the few reservations about birth that I was hanging on to. As for doula training, you can also do training through CAPPA or ALACE. I chose CAPPA. Here is a great link that compares several doula training organizations:

http://www.mother-care.ca/CDchart.html

Check it out and see which one works best for you! In the meantime, just keep reading reading reading all the birth books you can get your hands on.
I probably should not have mentioned my trouble there as I dont want to go into my reasons. I will just say that I believe that one baby's death during or right after a homebirth that could have been easily avoided by having the resorces of a good physician and hospital, is too many. there are emergency situations everyday that we dont hear about because they were quickly resolved. It is not that I dont trust in the birth process itself, or the womans body, it is the fact that if everyone homebirthed the rate of still born babies would jump enormously.
Now at the same time, I am only talkiing about those 1 in 1000 cases. I am completely for nonintervention in all other cases. I had 3 completely natural (aside from antibiotics for 2 births due to positive group B strep, not an intervention in my mind) hospital deliverys. I was just strong enough to know what I wanted and hold my ground reguardless of what any nurse or dr told me. The risk for me was just too high, even if it appeared to be none at all.

well I said I wouldnt go into detail so I didnt, even though Im sure what I said would register as that to some. I love the support I have already seen in this tribe and i dont criticize anyone else for there choices and feelings so I hope I can still se that great cupport and not be criticized for mine.
Thanks for listening

#87 of 230 Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs
I will just say that I believe that one baby's death during or right after a homebirth that could have been easily avoided by having the resorces of a good physician and hospital, is too many. there are emergency situations everyday that we dont hear about because they were quickly resolved. It is not that I dont trust in the birth process itself, or the womans body, it is the fact that if everyone homebirthed the rate of still born babies would jump enormously.
There are also fetal deaths that happen every day in hospitals that we don't hear about. There are complications and life-threatening situations that arise from unnecessary medical interventions. For some reason none of these are made public. But god forbid a baby die during a homebirth, the media swarms and the midwife is made to look like a murderer. I think it is because most people have come to accept hospital births as the norm, and to most mainstreamers homebirths are crazy and risky. I think they are much safer.

If everyone homebirthed the rate of c-sections would go down. WAYYYYY down. The rate of ALL interventions would go down. I don't agree that the rate of stillborn babies would jump enormously. Midwives have to follow certain rules and look for certain things that would merit a hospital transfer. Most midwives know when something truly needs medical attention. Homebirth candidates must be healthy and have a fairly "normal" pregnancy. Not everyone can have a homebirth.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I am not saying it is wrong. I just feel differently towards homebirths. Especially because I had a hospital birth. It was a natural birth attended by a mw, but still a classic hospital birth where lots of my rights were taken from me.

#88 of 230 Old 12-22-2005, 12:40 AM

Yes, I just want to add death is a reality in birth. Its bound to happen unfortunately sometimes no matter where you choose to give birth. Midwives and doulas actually should consider the safety of mother and baby simultaneously. The fact is 90% of births are completely "normal" without intervention and that is something that needs to be accepted. Constantly looking for deviations can cause problems. There are circumstances sometimes that looking back on you might be able to say "well, if this would have happened then they would have been fine." Thats always easier to say looking back, the fact is that usually no one knows all the facts involved and people do to the best of their ability. NO ONE ever wants a mother or baby to suffer consequences of their choices, we are all human. I just feel strongly that the biggest problem in birth today is that there are too many people involved that do not really trust in the process- look at our cesarean rate for example.

Quote:
if everyone homebirthed the rate of still born babies would jump enormously.
This is a statement that I don't agree with and is false. Research has shown that for low risk mothers, homebirth has less risks than hospital births. For example, if we look at the c-section rate in homebirths versus hospital births for low risk mothers the risk of death is substantially different. A vaginal birth is 1 in 10,000, a c-section is 1 in 2,500. We know that OBs have much higher c-section rates than midwives and that homebirth interventions are even lower.

I am only stating what I know to be true. I think its important for people to examine their own beliefs about birth and their preconceptions sorrounding it before involving themselves in the birth environment. I always look at birth from a place of normalcy, knowing that occassionaly things come up and you do the best you can with the decisions you make and you also realize that we are all human.
#89 of 230 Old 12-22-2005, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs
As afraid as I am of the posible outcome of homebirth gone wrong, I know I can seperate myself from it as long as I dont have to be the responsible one if there is a problem.
I am glad that we can dialouge about this. This is the same way i feel about hospitals. In an ideal world, i would love to only attend homebirths, but that is far from reasonable given the birthing climate around here. And the fact that women birthing in hospitals need a doula waaaaaay more FTMP. I feel entirely more apprehensive about clients that are birthing in hospitals because not only do they have to deal with their own energy but also the energy of people that they don't know from Adam and may not mesh with. The environment is already there in the homebirth, but you have to make a protective cocoon around a woman birthing in a hospital. I know how vulnerable a laboring woman is and believe they are in danger of being around a lot more harmful things in a hospital then they are at home.

Thanks for bringing this up, Lisa.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#90 of 230 Old 12-22-2005, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkydoula
I am glad that we can dialouge about this. This is the same way i feel about hospitals. In an ideal world, i would love to only attend homebirths, but that is far from reasonable given the birthing climate around here. And the fact that women birthing in hospitals need a doula waaaaaay more FTMP. I feel entirely more apprehensive about clients that are birthing in hospitals because not only do they have to deal with there own energy but also the energy of people that they don't know from Adam and may not mesh with. The environment is already there in the homebirth, but you have to make a protective cocoon around a woman birthing in a hospital. I know that vulnerable labor women are in danger of being around a lot more harmful things in a hospital then they are at home.

Thanks for bringing this up, Lisa.
I agree with much of what you have said here Erin and I think you do understand me at least, even if you dont agree with me. and thank you for being receptive of me and my feelings. I really appreciate that you can talk about it without getting hostile.

I am sorry I mentioned this at all. I really didnt want to stir anything up and i dont want this to be what everyone thinks of when I post here, with questions, or thoughts.

Everyone is going to get there info from one place or another, and I am certain that it is all going to be scewed (sorry cant spell) one way or the other based on who is doing the research, info gathering, ect.

I am not ignorant to the risks associtated with a hospital delivery. I know how much unnessacary intervention takes place and the trouble with c/s. I also know that it is the patients that have pushed it to that point over the years. so even good drs do them when they dont want to because they cant afford not to or they would not have a practice. it is a messed up world in many ways, and just as you all have been influenced by personal things in your life that have helped lead you to the feelings you have so have I.

I will not post about this again and thank you to those of you who can read this without judging me and I hope you can still welcome me to the group here as I am not judging you and would still like to be a part of it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page