Mothering Forum banner

Aspiring midwives or doulas

12K views 229 replies 81 participants last post by  Kaitnbugsmom 
#1 ·
I couldn't find a thread, so isn't it time for a new one?

I am an aspiring midwife and I'm looking for someone to take me under their wing as an apprentice. The only human birth I've ever attended is my daughter's, but I've midwived an awful lot of farm animals.
I would really love to assist/attend a few homebirths in this area and start learning the ropes.

I live in Mississippi and I've been asking around, but so far I haven't found anyone who is taking an apprentice. There aren't many midwives around here, but midwifery is legal. YAY! Even if you live in Memphis or within an hour or two of me I'd be willing to give it a go.

My education consists of some formal college and lots of the School of Life, but I start this spring in pre-nursing with the hopes of being in nursing school by the fall.

At this point I'm information gathering and reading, reading, reading. I can't afford nursing school AND formal midwife school, so I'm looking for alternate routes.

Anyone else an aspiring midwife or doula?

See less See more
#102 ·
I just thought I'd post and introduce myself. My name is Lyndsey and I'm an aspiring doula and *maybe* eventually a midwife. I'm planning on training with the CAPPA distance learning program, and I'm definitely ready to begin, we just have to get the money together so that I can start
. I love everything about birth and would love to help women have the wonderful natural birth that I had with my last daughter.

#103 ·
Hi all, I just found this thread so I thought I'd subscribe. I'm aspiring to be a LM, possibly CPM. My original plans were to go to nursing school and then eventually become a CNM, however the more research I do the more I'm realizing going the direct entry route is for me.

In fact, Homemademomma, I hope to get to talk with you about Gainesville and the Florida School of Traditional Midwifery - I'm guessing you work at the birth center affiliated with the school? I don't know of any others, so forgive me if I'm wrong. My family would have to relocate to Gainesville if I am accepted there, so it would obviously be a huge step for us.

I've been drawn to a career in this field for quite some time, but it wasn't until I was pregnant/gave birth myself that I really started to think hard about it. At first I thought I'd go to nursing school and then become a lactation consultant, but I feel myself pulled more towards birthing itself.

I'm very nervous about the thought of going through such a rigorous training program while my son is of preschool age, but I'm really feeling the call to start on the path towards my eventual career.

#104 ·
I love the FSTM in Gainesville! That is where I did my doula training with Kim. I'd also love to go there someday but live about 3 hours away and cannot relocate any time soon.

Faerieshadow are you in FL? Miami has a midwifery school too. I've also read something online about one in Tampa but haven't heard anything else about it. I'm wondering if it is new...

#105 ·
Yes, I'm in FL - Daytona Beach, actually - which is one reason I'm ready to relocate!
Actually I can't believe I'm contemplating relocating like that for school, but DP will be done with school this coming semester, so that leaves us a perfect opportunity to look for a job in a new area.

I ruled out Miami because I just can't handle the craziness of such a large, busy place - I am not much of a big city girl.
I haven't come across anything about a school in Tampa, but I'm definitely interested in that - I love several of the surrounding cities in that area.

I'm interested in hearing anything I can about the FSTM, so if you have anything that would be helpful I'm all ears!

#106 ·
The woman who did my labor doula training is Kym Dalton and she works in the birth center in Gainesville quite often. I'm sure she can give you more info, she's CAPPA's state rep for FL. Her contact info is on Cappa's page here Maybe she can refer you to someone who can give you more info? Have you been to the birthing center where the midwifery program is taught? I have some beautiful pics of it I can send you if you want. I would post them here I'm just not sure if I'd get in trouble for it.

The school in Tampa is: http://www.delphicenter.org/Training_Programs.htm I haven't had a chance to look around much on their site, just stumbled upon it and saved the link.

#107 ·
I am wanting to be certified as a doula. my mom has offered to pay for it. I have it narrowed down to childbirth international (a distance web based program) or ALACE. If I go with ALACE, I need to pay for it by the end of january so I need to decide now.

things I like about each program...
cbi... $75 less
easier/quicker requirements for cert. (though still pretty extensive
training)
great student support...website,e-mail,chat,24 hr phone

ALACE... reconised name
based on midwifery model
offers/requires workshop

opinions welcomed...please.

#108 ·
I should introduce myself also. my name is allison. I am a single, homeschooling sahm to four kids. my youngest is 3 the oldest is 13. I have a great support system in my mom and my friends. my xh is helpful with the kids (though, suportive is not the word I would usually use for him). I have had two birth center births, one hospital (due to gd and being on insulin), one born at home. I have attended two births-- one hospital, one homebirth. I plan on doing doula work and would also like to teach childbirth classes in order to make a bit more money.

#109 ·
I'm looking to attend a lot more births in the coming year but I'm not sure how to go about avertising. How you the rest of you doulas advertise??

I have business cards and brochures, should I just go to MW offices and ask to leave some out in the lobby? I'm not yet certified so I don't get the advertising from CAPPA yet. I'm also doing my next 2 births for free so I can hurry up and get certified....just need the clients now.

#110 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by teachermom

things I like about each program...
cbi... $75 less
easier/quicker requirements for cert. (though still pretty extensive
training)
great student support...website,e-mail,chat,24 hr phone

ALACE... reconised name
based on midwifery model
offers/requires workshop

opinions welcomed...please.
Well, my vote is for ALACE, but I am biased. I am still in process of certification, but my training with ALACE was amazing. I think it is very important that they teach based on the midwifery model of care and this really spoke to me when I was choosing my program. I think that their workshop is also very intimate and allows for a lot of self discovery. They are also the only program that teaches vaginal checks, not to use in your practice, but for your own education. This was an amazing part of the workshop. Overall though, being in a workshop, instead of doing a distance program was important to me for building community and being with other women. I contact women from my workshop often to talk about things, births, frustrations etc. They are a source of security and friendship as well as a kind of study group.
HTH,
Bianca

#111 ·
I've known that midwifery was my calling since my 1st ds's HB in '99. I am currently in RN school and will graduate this coming May, before my 4th child is born! After that I hope to work in a birth center of gain a little L&D experience. I used to work in a birth center teachng childbirth classes until it closed a few years ago. Being so busy w/ school leaves me little time to do much doula work anymore (morning sickness also makes it difficult, too, LOL!) but I still stay connected to the birth scene by teaching classes (ALACE and CAPPA certified). I have also started a birth network, offering our community every-other-month meetings on making informed birth decisions.
Hopefully when I move next summer I will be able to find a job, start work on my CNM, and apprentice w/ my mw~ still undecided about what kind of mw I want to be.

#112 ·
Havent had time to read through all the posts but have read through some and am so excited to add to this post and subscribe! Im an aspiring doula and after my homebirth am a 100% advocate for believing in our bodies and that we were created to birth beautifully!!!! Im 25, have a 26 month old and a 2 month old and hope to teach my girls that natural is a way of life not a freak accident! I posted the following on a thread but have had no responses so maybe here is the correct place.

labor doula certification questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if this is the correct place to post these questions, feel free to move if incorrect.

Which certification program is the best and most widely accepted and used in California and Nevada? How long on average does it take to complete certification? Would you recommend a mother of small children becoming a doula or does it take too much away from her kids? How much do the certifications and courses cost? What are the general fee's of a labor doula on the west coast and do any insurance companies cover those fees? Are there any programs that help provide labor doula's for low income or military families? How often do you need to recertify? Anything i should really be thinking about before i plunged into a doula career?

Thanks

#113 ·
I chose CAPPA, but I'm also not in your area. CAPPA is one of the common doula education courses and it is pretty well know, so are some others. Here is a very helpful comparison chart: http://www.mother-care.ca/CDchart.html

The time it takes to become certified varies. I have found the hardest thing to be attending and being reviewed on three births. I decided to do my first three births for free in hopes of getting clients and becoming certified quicker. I attended my doula training in March and have attended one birth so far. I'd say that it would be ok to start the process now while your children are young because it may take a year or two to get certified.

#116 ·
Hi, I just have to vent today! I have been really looking and trying to figure out the best way to go about this doula training and certification. I have not decided really what to do about the cert part but I knwo I want to attend a training course. I really think I am the type that will benifit from formal classroom teaching as well as hands on learning.

Well, anyways, I have found the DONA training to be the only one offered anywhere near my area as going 6 hrs away to Seattle is just not an option. Now that I look into when and where for the labor doula training, It has been canceled in my area!!!!!
: Now I feel very guilty for being upset about this because the date cancelation is due to the health problems of the instructor, and above all I really hope she is OK. But I cant help it
I really want to take the training this year, and would really like to have it done before my cousins expected delivery in august. It would even be a bonus that I could then use her birth as One of the required ones for the cert.

Sorry for the rant, and thanks for listening, I just dont know where to go from here

#117 ·
Mamato3cherubs, try e-mailing all of the instructors that are anywhere near your home. I know the CAPPA rep in FL will do a training if there are 3 or more people interested in that particular area and if you volunteer to host the training at your home you ger a large discount. It's worth a try e-mailing any trainers even remotely near your area and they can try to work with you.

#118 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilian
Mamato3cherubs, try e-mailing all of the instructors that are anywhere near your home. I know the CAPPA rep in FL will do a training if there are 3 or more people interested in that particular area and if you volunteer to host the training at your home you ger a large discount. It's worth a try e-mailing any trainers even remotely near your area and they can try to work with you.
thanks for the thought Jilian, any idea how i can find out who these people are
I looked on one of the sites about hosting a training in your area and it sounded to be a long and difficult process, but your idea sounds like a better route. I may even be able to find a couple more people jsut by posting on line enough to get the word out. hmm

#119 ·
Hi Lyndsey

Quote:
I'm looking to attend a lot more births in the coming year but I'm not sure how to go about avertising. How you the rest of you doulas advertise??
My mw suggested getting on with one of the local hospital's volunteer doula program. There is also a crisis pregnancy center here that staffs doulas. Then she told me that I'm welcome at any births she does (of course, if her clients are willing/agreeable).

Quote:
Are there any programs that help provide labor doula's for low income or military families?
Yep..CAPPA has one for military families, Operation Special Delivery. Not sure about low income...however I don't see why that couldn't be a special niche you could pursue.

Mamato3cherubs ~ ITA with Jilian. That's what I'm going to be doing. I was going to apply for the distance training thru CAPPA. I know the birth doula director for CAPPA and was talking to her about it all. She said to try arranging a training for the Tulsa area. She told me if we have 5 people, she'd come and I could attend for a very nice discount. She and my mw suggested advertising at the hospitals for RNs b/c they sometimes use the trainings as CEUs (continued education units). With CAPPA, if you go here, you can click on the instructor's names for their contact info. I'm not sure how the DONA site works.

#120 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by teachinmaof3
She and my mw suggested advertising at the hospitals for RNs b/c they sometimes use the trainings as CEUs (continued education units). With CAPPA, if you go here, you can click on the instructor's names for their contact info. I'm not sure how the DONA site works.
the nurse idea is a really good one, thank you. maybe it isnt hopless. I am already frustrated by the fact that I live in a little town with only one hospital in the area, our birth center shut down a year ago and we lost all but one crappy midwife at the same time. I really want to find someone who will let me shadow them for a couple births too, I think I could really learn alot that way but I only know of one doula in the area, i have no idea how many clients she gets or even if she would be willing to let me tag along seeing as she may consider me to be potential competition. I may have to bite it and do most of what I want by traveling to the nearest city with a little more to offer(not much) 70 mile away. DH wont like that one bit!

#121 ·
Alright, i have to start by saying that I posted a couple weeks ago i guess and got a coulpe things going about hospital vs home births. I want to say thank you to all the ladies who were good to me even though i was being weird about the way i feel about these things.
I guess it was all on page 5 of this thread. Anyways, you ladies all got me thinking. I realized that most of the issues I am concerned with would fit under the realm of moderate risk or above. so I took another look at myself and how i feel about birth when none of my concerns could be an issue. I decided to start reading and I have been reading and reading. I have aquired several books already through the TP here and have some checked out from the library as well.

I previously mentioned that I was a bit "afraid" i guess you could say of homebirth and some of the possible complications that can arrise. I also said that although I want to be a Doula right now I thought I might like to be a midwife, but would have to be a CNM as I would be most compfortable delivering in a hospital. But i dont want to go to nursing school and deal with all the bs that goes with it. I have changed my mind
Isn't that just like a woman to do!

I want to do it, I want to persue a life in the field of midwifery. I think with the time my family will need to grow (till the kids are all in school at least) I could spend enough time as a Doula to really overcome the rest of my fears.
Now I dont know which route will be the one best for me to get there, oh what DH will say when I blow him away with my feelings, but I feel that if i am selective in my limits and what risks I am willing to take on I could assist women in the process of natural childbirth, at home or a birth center atmosphere.

Sorry so long, just had to share my change of heart and that between the reading I want to do to prepare for my jouney to being a Doula, and the inspiration of you other ladies, I am OK with homebirth.
Now it is my ambition to try to figure out how to find someone in my area that is planning a homebirth that may allow me to attend and learn from her.

Thanks for listening!

#123 ·
Before I read tons of books on the subject, I was nervous about homebirths and just trusting birth in general. I'm glad that you are doing the research and facing your fears on birth. Attending my first birth really changed me and strengthened my trust in birth. Natural childbirth is an amazing thing, it is what our bodies are meant to do.

#124 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aka mommy
Yay, im so happy for you! You definately have to attend a homebirth, too bad i dont know anyone delivering at home up there. What part of oregon? Im right below ya in cali!
I do so want to attend one. I am told there are people in town that have done them and I know that there is a midwife or 2 from out of town that will travel here but I dont know who or how to contact them. I also for sure that there is one Doula in town(there could be more i just havnt heard) but i cant seem to figure out who she is either. I guess I will have to break down and try to get in touch with some of the Drs tha ti know deliver babies around here (not many as most cant afford the insurance so they quit delivering). Oh how I wish the birth center we had full of great midwives was still around. I know i would be welcome to talk with them about my aspirations.

Oh, anyways, I live in Roseburg, I am about 90 minutes from the Cali border, where in Cali are you?

#125 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilian
Before I read tons of books on the subject, I was nervous about homebirths and just trusting birth in general. I'm glad that you are doing the research and facing your fears on birth. Attending my first birth really changed me and strengthened my trust in birth. Natural childbirth is an amazing thing, it is what our bodies are meant to do.
I know that mostly the books have been helping me sort through the things I have experienced, and the things others i know have experienced as well as the feelings those things affected. If that makes sense.
Of course I have learned plenty and feel that the education could never really end, but the other is what is most important to me.
I have discovered it isnt homebirth that i am nervous about it is the specific problems themselves, reguardless of when or where. That made a huge differnce.
I have been very facinated with birth ever since I watched the natural hospital birth of my sister, from the position of labor coach to my mom, when I was 14. I have since tried to convince myself that once I was through giving birth to my children this interest would subside. My dd is 2 now and I am not having any more, nor do I want to have any more of my own, but the intrest just gets stronger and stronger.
She thought that a side affect of me going through that with her would be enough to scare me to death and prevent trouble in the teen years. Wrong! I was one of those that desired to be pregnant, just so I could go through it and give birth! Of course I was young then and wasnt thinking strait as later the thoughts of the fact that parenting and raising children became the focus and I realized how weird I was

I am rambling, sorry, I tend to do that and have found this a place to let it all out I guess. Hope I dont anoy everyone too much! It feels kind of good to get it all out I guess

#126 ·
I met with a local midwife the other night and a few doulas and received tons of referrals. All I did was to send an e-mail to two of our local HB MWs asking if they could provide me with any birth experience and telling them that I am a doula going for certification. I also mentioned that I am doing my next two birth for free in order to get certified. This afternoon I had a call from a potential client that is having a HB
The MW gave her my #. So for any doulas in training out there who are looking for births I highly reccomend contacting your local MWs and giving them your contact info. The two I e-mailed have been extremely nice and willing to help

One more client to go until certification!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.