Aspiring midwives or doulas - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 230 Old 01-05-2006, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, i have to start by saying that I posted a couple weeks ago i guess and got a coulpe things going about hospital vs home births. I want to say thank you to all the ladies who were good to me even though i was being weird about the way i feel about these things.
I guess it was all on page 5 of this thread. Anyways, you ladies all got me thinking. I realized that most of the issues I am concerned with would fit under the realm of moderate risk or above. so I took another look at myself and how i feel about birth when none of my concerns could be an issue. I decided to start reading and I have been reading and reading. I have aquired several books already through the TP here and have some checked out from the library as well.

I previously mentioned that I was a bit "afraid" i guess you could say of homebirth and some of the possible complications that can arrise. I also said that although I want to be a Doula right now I thought I might like to be a midwife, but would have to be a CNM as I would be most compfortable delivering in a hospital. But i dont want to go to nursing school and deal with all the bs that goes with it. I have changed my mind Isn't that just like a woman to do!

I want to do it, I want to persue a life in the field of midwifery. I think with the time my family will need to grow (till the kids are all in school at least) I could spend enough time as a Doula to really overcome the rest of my fears.
Now I dont know which route will be the one best for me to get there, oh what DH will say when I blow him away with my feelings, but I feel that if i am selective in my limits and what risks I am willing to take on I could assist women in the process of natural childbirth, at home or a birth center atmosphere.

Sorry so long, just had to share my change of heart and that between the reading I want to do to prepare for my jouney to being a Doula, and the inspiration of you other ladies, I am OK with homebirth.
Now it is my ambition to try to figure out how to find someone in my area that is planning a homebirth that may allow me to attend and learn from her.

Thanks for listening!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 230 Old 01-06-2006, 07:01 AM

Yay, im so happy for you! You definately have to attend a homebirth, too bad i dont know anyone delivering at home up there. What part of oregon? Im right below ya in cali!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#123 of 230 Old 01-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Before I read tons of books on the subject, I was nervous about homebirths and just trusting birth in general. I'm glad that you are doing the research and facing your fears on birth. Attending my first birth really changed me and strengthened my trust in birth. Natural childbirth is an amazing thing, it is what our bodies are meant to do.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#124 of 230 Old 01-06-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka mommy
Yay, im so happy for you! You definately have to attend a homebirth, too bad i dont know anyone delivering at home up there. What part of oregon? Im right below ya in cali!
I do so want to attend one. I am told there are people in town that have done them and I know that there is a midwife or 2 from out of town that will travel here but I dont know who or how to contact them. I also for sure that there is one Doula in town(there could be more i just havnt heard) but i cant seem to figure out who she is either. I guess I will have to break down and try to get in touch with some of the Drs tha ti know deliver babies around here (not many as most cant afford the insurance so they quit delivering). Oh how I wish the birth center we had full of great midwives was still around. I know i would be welcome to talk with them about my aspirations.

Oh, anyways, I live in Roseburg, I am about 90 minutes from the Cali border, where in Cali are you?

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#125 of 230 Old 01-06-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian
Before I read tons of books on the subject, I was nervous about homebirths and just trusting birth in general. I'm glad that you are doing the research and facing your fears on birth. Attending my first birth really changed me and strengthened my trust in birth. Natural childbirth is an amazing thing, it is what our bodies are meant to do.
I know that mostly the books have been helping me sort through the things I have experienced, and the things others i know have experienced as well as the feelings those things affected. If that makes sense.
Of course I have learned plenty and feel that the education could never really end, but the other is what is most important to me.
I have discovered it isnt homebirth that i am nervous about it is the specific problems themselves, reguardless of when or where. That made a huge differnce.
I have been very facinated with birth ever since I watched the natural hospital birth of my sister, from the position of labor coach to my mom, when I was 14. I have since tried to convince myself that once I was through giving birth to my children this interest would subside. My dd is 2 now and I am not having any more, nor do I want to have any more of my own, but the intrest just gets stronger and stronger.
She thought that a side affect of me going through that with her would be enough to scare me to death and prevent trouble in the teen years. Wrong! I was one of those that desired to be pregnant, just so I could go through it and give birth! Of course I was young then and wasnt thinking strait as later the thoughts of the fact that parenting and raising children became the focus and I realized how weird I was
I am rambling, sorry, I tend to do that and have found this a place to let it all out I guess. Hope I dont anoy everyone too much! It feels kind of good to get it all out I guess

#126 of 230 Old 01-06-2006, 08:57 PM

I met with a local midwife the other night and a few doulas and received tons of referrals. All I did was to send an e-mail to two of our local HB MWs asking if they could provide me with any birth experience and telling them that I am a doula going for certification. I also mentioned that I am doing my next two birth for free in order to get certified. This afternoon I had a call from a potential client that is having a HB The MW gave her my #. So for any doulas in training out there who are looking for births I highly reccomend contacting your local MWs and giving them your contact info. The two I e-mailed have been extremely nice and willing to help

One more client to go until certification!!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#127 of 230 Old 01-06-2006, 09:07 PM

: : : :
Good for you! Im excited for you wow, maybe there is hope! I really just want to do it on the side for right now as I have a good but part time job and cant give it up for something potentially unstable. But on the side would be perfect to get me some experience and such to maybe persue something more later!

#128 of 230 Old 01-07-2006, 12:27 AM

Heres the link to the thread that I started in this part of MDC, Pregnancy and Birth, Birth and Beyond.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=392563

Thank you.
#129 of 230 Old 01-07-2006, 01:33 AM

Hi Everyone. I have not read through all the posts yet so I am assuming this is for aspiring childbirth educators too despite the title?

If so - I am one. Currently studying through ALACE and loving it. I would eventuly like to become a doula and lactation consultant too but I am starting off with teh CBE certificate. Finding the time to study is my biggest issue. By the time I finish up with the kids and house I am so tired I read one chapter and start falling asleep. It is my priority though for this year now to finish up the written work so I can start teaching towards my final certification.

Mama of 2 and Younique Independent Presenter
Naturally based skin care and makeup www.beboldbeauty.com
#130 of 230 Old 01-07-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs
I do so want to attend one. I am told there are people in town that have done them and I know that there is a midwife or 2 from out of town that will travel here but I dont know who or how to contact them. I also for sure that there is one Doula in town(there could be more i just havnt heard) but i cant seem to figure out who she is either. I guess I will have to break down and try to get in touch with some of the Drs tha ti know deliver babies around here (not many as most cant afford the insurance so they quit delivering). Oh how I wish the birth center we had full of great midwives was still around. I know i would be welcome to talk with them about my aspirations.

Oh, anyways, I live in Roseburg, I am about 90 minutes from the Cali border, where in Cali are you?
Im in the sacramento area! Have you checked the internet DONA site to find any local midwives or doulas? THey would be able to refer you and from there you could call and explain what you are doing. I know that many midwives are open to students and teaching because that is how they started. My midwives are currently training a student midwife and she rocks. She asked to be at my birth and i said sure. Hope you can find something

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#131 of 230 Old 01-08-2006, 02:07 PM

Heres a link to the thread started on this part of the subject Aspiring Childbirth Educators or Lacation Consult, spl or research or whatever else

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=393333

Thank you.
#132 of 230 Old 01-09-2006, 01:05 AM

Lisa ~

Jilian ~ That's SO exciting!!!

Welcome rockergirrl

I had this thought today on the way home from getting groceries. I've thought it before but my response was always, "Nooooo, too much responsibility!!" But today I responded with excitement. I think eventually, someday...I want to pursue midwifery. : (Those being the range of emotions I went thru :LOL) I can't believe I just typed that. It's definitely something I need to pray about and think on more. But something in me feels different, like after I doula for a while I need to keep going. This should be an interesting ride....
#133 of 230 Old 01-09-2006, 01:23 AM

LLLI peer counselor training program

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could not figure out where to post this so please help me moderators ! TIA

HI
I was wondering if anyone has been through this program...I am considering taking it in May '06 and would love some feedback. I am a pre nursing student (almost done with pre reqs) and would love to pursue a career working with low income women as a breastfeeding advocate. I unfortuately never found the time to attend La leche meetings in my area while my ds was a nursling. I was working and going to school (still am) and felt a great camraderie with a couple of breastfeeding mamas at work so I had awesome support that way.

Thanks for listening to my dreams - please give me some feedback
#134 of 230 Old 01-09-2006, 01:37 AM

Heather, you sound just like me! I know I can't go that far yet as my family needs too much of my time and money is a major issue, not to mention, I havn't even figured out how to get started on the doula part of it, But that's me!
It is so nice to know there is someone else out there that is going through similar feelings as me. I thought I was nuts

#135 of 230 Old 01-14-2006, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to be both! Where I live it is VERY hard to legally be a midwife (such as passing their 5year language proficiency test, and tons of red tape). So, I'm going to pursue being a doula first through CBI. I can legally be a doula. After that, and if I feel that's all I want to do, fine. But at this point, I really feel my calling is midwifery. I've been researching distance learning schools and think that AAMI is probably the best choice for me. The hardest part will be getting the apprentice work done. Even if I can't legally practice here, I'll be able to in the US and then in countries that are in dire need of any medical assistance. Or my local community of hugely pregnant women that are always asking the only homebirth mom they know tons of questions!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#136 of 230 Old 01-14-2006, 06:14 PM

Kannon99: I wanted to say that I really hope you can find a way to persue this as much as posible. I cana only immagine that the women there could really benifit from someone who is caring and helpful to them in such a time of there lifes. It seems to me it would be such a rewarding thing to do as a missionary in another place. Good luck to you for sure.

I also want to share that after complaining that I didn't know how to get started here to be certified as a Doula, I found a workshop to attend!!! I really liked the sounds of the CAPPA training better to tell you the truth but there isnt a way to get to any of the upcoming workshops for them as i dont even live anywherre close to one! But I found a DONA workshop only an hour from me!! I have already emailed back and forth with the instructor now a couple times, and called the local hospital about the childbirth classes i must attend first! Now to come up with the money and a sitter for all this time!

#137 of 230 Old 01-14-2006, 10:05 PM

Kannon ~ I'm also looking at AAMI.

Lisa ~ Awesome!!!

Still reading here. Got The Birth Partner in the mail this week.
#138 of 230 Old 01-15-2006, 01:12 PM

Hi everyone! I just found this thread and am happy to join you as an aspiring doula

I am currently working on my own ~ doing lots of reading and some journalling ~ as my youngest DD is almost One and I'm not ready to sink myself into more structured training/apprenticing while she is this young.
The realization that I want to be a doula hit me like a truck this Fall, and I am so happy to have really found my life path. Both of our daughters were born at home (one in Canada, one in Alabama) and I am so passionate about birth, informed birth choices and mothering the Mama.

That's all from me right now... my wee girl is climbing my leg
#139 of 230 Old 01-15-2006, 02:58 PM

Pixieto, welcome to the group!

On the topic of books, is anyone in need of a copy of Penny Simkin's "Pregnancy, Childbirth, & the Newborn"? I have somehow managed to collect FIVE copies of this book (three new edition, two old edition), and although I would like to hold onto a few for my lending library, I would also love to help flesh out the collection of another birthworker-in-training.

PM me if interested; I will come back and edit this post when the book has been spoken for.

ETA: The books have been spoken for!
#140 of 230 Old 01-15-2006, 03:22 PM

Anyone want to discuss the various benefits of the AAMI program vs. National Midwifery Institute? Obviously it would be hard to do a comparison of the actual curriculum without paying tuition to both programs . . . but from what I can see, the MAJOR difference is that NMI is MEAC-accredited, meaning my route to a CPM through NARM will be a little easier and slightly cheaper ($700). Graduation from AAMI would mean I would have to jump through extra hoops for NARM and pay some administrative fees, but the difference in tuition is so sizable that I am wondering if that even matters?

It may all be a moot point right now . . . with a baby coming in the spring, I probably shouldn't be trying to "split my focus" right now. (*sigh*)

SO excited for this baby . . . but I have been aching to become a midwife since I was nine years old, and wish I could manage the academic portion of it right away!
#141 of 230 Old 01-27-2006, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello everyone! I just saw this link in someone's sig and decided to stop by. I am an aspiring CNM who hopefully will be taking classes to become an LVN this spring or summer. I have three children of my own and the youngest is just six months old. This is a complete change from my original major of elementary education. Anyway, I love that there is a tribe for us. I am just beginning my midwifery journey but I am so excited to begin. In the future I'd like to become IBCLC certified as well. I have experienced so many breastfeeding problems that I'd like to help others as well.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#142 of 230 Old 01-27-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth Junky
SO excited for this baby . . . but I have been aching to become a midwife since I was nine years old, and wish I could manage the academic portion of it right away!
Congrats on your pregnancy!

#143 of 230 Old 01-27-2006, 12:18 PM

How is everyone doing on their journey to becoming a doula/midwife?

Things are going well here, I'm working on the CAPPA doula test now. It is harder than I thought it would be! I've already spent 4 hours on it and I still have more to do. Maybe I'm going into too much detail answering the questions? I have my second client lined up, she's due tuesday and having a homebirth. I'll only need to attend one more birth for certification after this. I'm excited!

#144 of 230 Old 01-27-2006, 03:49 PM

I'm still just reading and journalling on my own. I guess I'm looking a year or so down the road before I can begin to formally begin the process. I have to admit that I'm feeling a little discouraged lately ~ sometimes I wonder if I'm really doing anything other than spinning my wheels. I want to immerse myself in it, and I just can't do that right now.

Still, I have to think that it's all part of the process.

Birth Junky, congrats on your pregnancy!

Welcome Hey Mama
#145 of 230 Old 01-27-2006, 03:52 PM

<It's so frustrating, really. I'm almost 30 and I'm TTC, starting school and also trying to become a doula/midwife. Why couldn't I have gotten this ambition earlier in life?>
Sometimes it takes having a baby before you realize that is what you want to do. It wasn't until we had our first homebirth in 1981 that I knew I wanted to help other ladies do the same thing...and I have been an aspiring midwife for 25 .........

......YEARS!!!!!

There simply weren't any midwives where we were located, and then we moved to another part of the state, and I was a single parent for a number of years. So, I have been able to help a few people at homebirths, and a number at hospital as a doula(in 2000 I was finally able to take ALACE training) but all those years were not wasted. I read everything I could get my hands on, homeschooled my girls, and then,put a roof over our heads and food in our bellies when I was single. When the kids were 19,16 and 8, I went back to school,(I was 40) for an ADN, and when I got to clinicals and discovered they would not let me help the ladies in labor(by this time I had been a doula for 17 years) but to only observe the torture that our area called childbirth, I switched to computers, got my AAS and then a Bachelor of Science. But all my classes I kept focused by using them as a springboard for the birth center I would one day like to have. And the instructors knew that. Now that I have moved to a homebirth friendly state(my new husband is retired) I am now an official apprentice, and hope to take the NARM in a year....so don't be discouraged, but know it sometimes takes time, and a mature lady like myself(gak) has the time available to really devote to her clients, without the distraction of a busy family... I figure there will be no retirement for me, and I plan on living til I am at least 80, so I have 30 years to actually help a LOT of clients!
#146 of 230 Old 01-27-2006, 04:38 PM

Hi everyone, I am also an aspiring doula. I took my DONA workshop last fall, have read a ton of books, and am currently taking a childbirth ed course at our local birth center. I have also attended one birth, it was an amazing even even though it was in a hospital with way too many interventions IMO. I'm also looking into becoming a post-partum doula. This is all taking a while since I have 3 young kids but it is amazing, inspiring work. Many positive vibes to all of you, what a womderful group of women.
#147 of 230 Old 01-27-2006, 04:42 PM

What exactly does a postpartum doula do? I am considering also getting certified as a postpartum doula so my schedule can be a little more predictable. I have plenty of BF experience so I could certainly assist with BF, but what else is expected of a PP doula?

#148 of 230 Old 02-06-2006, 07:00 AM

Another aspiring midwife here...I saw this in someone's sig and thought I"d subscribe. I was not able to read all of your posts but here's a small intro of who I am and why I want to do this: I am currently in grad school finishing up a degree in Sociology but plan to begin nursing school next spring after I take three pre-req courses. I also want to try and volunteer with a midwifery center in AZ (we are moving to Flagstaff if anyone knows where that is...). I was an EMT when I was younger and always thought I'd do medicine but never had the confidence in my abilities...Giving birth naturally and pain drug free after 30 hours of labor and a lot of pitocin sure chaged my confidence! Now I know I can do anything!!! I just want to help people have babies!!! I don't know where to start however...Any links for me? Thanks and take care!
#149 of 230 Old 02-06-2006, 03:01 PM

Check out Midwifery Today.
#150 of 230 Old 02-06-2006, 04:36 PM

Just popping in to say HI!

Still working on reading here.

Met some other doulas last week. It's a group that meets 4x/year. It was nice to connect with like-minded people.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page