Aspiring midwives or doulas - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 230 Old 02-27-2006, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh ok.

I have the opportunity to do the same w/ CAPPA but we only need 5 others to sign up.
#182 of 230 Old 03-02-2006, 01:20 PM

We got a training date set! I'm SO excited!! I've started spreading the word some. Eventually I'll get some info up to the hospitals.
#183 of 230 Old 03-03-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachinmaof3
Oh ok.

I have the opportunity to do the same w/ CAPPA but we only need 5 others to sign up.

CAPPA does this too!?

as for my progress...I'm needing to find a day where dd can be with her grandparents so I can just sit and mediate on what I want to do.

can someone tell me, With the CBI CD program, how in depth is the training for PPD ?

dust.gif
#184 of 230 Old 03-04-2006, 01:29 AM

CBI CD program hardly goes into PPD in my opinion. I'm gonna have to do a lot of self-education in that area.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#185 of 230 Old 03-07-2006, 01:28 AM

mystic ~ Well, the lady I know who is a trainer is doing it. lol Not sure about any of the others or if this lady does it for anyone that asks. *shrug*
#186 of 230 Old 03-07-2006, 03:10 AM

Quote:
mystic ~ Well, the lady I know who is a trainer is doing it. lol Not sure about any of the others or if this lady does it for anyone that asks. *shrug*

ahhh i see...sigh...i'm still "figuring things out" i still need a time to just sit without dd and think this thru. my dd just needs me so much right now that it is really hard to do anything else.

dust.gif
#187 of 230 Old 03-08-2006, 11:28 AM

I would like to go the traditional apprenticeship route, becoming a DEM or perhaps becoming a CPM (depends on how the law pans out in the next couple of years). I came within inches of taking DONA classes a few months ago but didn't have the money. They just offered another round of classes, but I missed out because I had a family emergency out of state. I thought becoming a doula could be a step in the right direction for midwifery, but TBH I'm not crazy about hospitals or hospital birth so in a way I'm probably not a good candidate for becoming a doula. I'm torn about that. But anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellimamo
Thought I would stop in a say Hi! I'm an aspiring midwife. It looks like I will be going the CNM route at this point. CPMs are illegal in my state, Indiana, and with a small child at home and more on the way some day I can't risk the finicial and possibly criminal issues of being prosicuted. Being a CPM is my true calling but I'll do the CNM if it means I get to catch babies!
Erin- I understand! The legal situation here is precisely why I haven't actually tried to apprentice with the local midwives just yet although I'd love to, so very much. I had the pleasure of being an observer at a friend's homebirth last April, my mw was the attending mw- it was sooo awesome :... my friend's dh was her labor support so I just took pictures and observed. With a baby due in ~9 weeks and two preschoolers, a felony and possible prison time is big business. I'm trying to work out in my mind how this could work, and plan to talk with my midwife at my next prenatal. I don't really know if I would end up DEM or CPM at this point not knowing how strict they will be with CPMs when the law is passed. At least when the mw bill is passed it will "only" be a misdemeanor for DEMs.
#188 of 230 Old 03-15-2006, 12:34 AM

thought I would post that I just mailed in my application for the CAPPA scholarship program....I'll find out May 1st if I've been choosen either way, I'm happy to be moving forward with my training and still feeling sure that this is what I really want/am meant to be doing

dust.gif
#189 of 230 Old 03-15-2006, 07:15 PM

Good for you on moving forward! I have my last CBE class tomorrow night and I am sending in the deposit to hold my spot for the DONA workshop I am going to attend next month. I think I might be getting through to DH a little too! It feel good to know your moving forward!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#190 of 230 Old 03-15-2006, 10:39 PM

Mystic
#191 of 230 Old 03-15-2006, 10:54 PM

i'm taking baby steps and it does feel good...thx mamas

dust.gif
#192 of 230 Old 03-16-2006, 01:17 AM

Wow this thread is huge. I bet Ill get lost in here, LOL! My name is Anna and Im going through DONA, my doula class is at the end of the month. Im in Phoenix, AZ. Eventually I want to be a midwife, man I would just be tickled to apprentice just for fun and knowledge. Ive never seen a woman give birth like OP-just horses and animals- and Im nervous about doing my three births.
#193 of 230 Old 03-16-2006, 02:14 AM

welcome anna~

I am so looking forward to supporting mamas during birth..I may be a bit nervous but I feel my instincts and intuition will kick in and it will be an amazing experience

dust.gif
#194 of 230 Old 03-16-2006, 10:57 AM

this IS a huge thread, so I hope i do not get lost in here...just need to know if it is okay to post an advertisement for my small midwifery school...i do weekend workshops for aspiring midwives and doulas and i want to get the word out. i used to do this in Indiana and the classes were very well recieved...but now i am in PA and am looking to start my school again. I also need an apprentice and these classes were wonderful for developing a good helper. let me know if it is ok to post and i will...

krystn madrine
#195 of 230 Old 03-16-2006, 11:19 AM

Hi Kystn... I remember when you offered the classes with Jennifer, I never made it to any of the classes (wish you were still offering them here!). I am hoping to apprentice someday with my midwife, but I'm waiting until my next prenatal to ask her about it...
#196 of 230 Old 03-29-2006, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well, since I started this thread I thought I should update you on my progress. I started apprenticing with a local midwife and I'm going to prenatals with her for now. I'm doing a lot of self study and trying to buy a few books here and there. I work 5-6 days a week at a local greenhouse (LOVIN' IT!) so I'm pretty busy.

That's about it for me!
#197 of 230 Old 03-29-2006, 12:47 AM

Jennifer, it seems that we are on similar paths. I secured an apprenticeship about a month ago and have been doing prenatals. I assisted at my first homebirth last Wednesday and have a doula client who is due any day now. I am so excited.

Still trying to figure out childcare though, having some difficulty. Anyone have any ideas? What do you all do?

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
#198 of 230 Old 04-05-2006, 01:12 PM

Bumping this up!

Looks like I'm moving up my training to July! A friend and I are going to go together and it's a LD/CBE combo training. SO excited!!!
#199 of 230 Old 04-05-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Bumping this up!

Looks like I'm moving up my training to July! A friend and I are going to go together and it's a LD/CBE combo training. SO excited!!!
Thats great! Im starting to get excited for my DONA workshop too, its only 2 1/2 weeks away now, a bit nervous though too about the whole thing.: I finally had to break down and tell the boss and the 2 other guys at work about it. They were obviously going nuts wondering why I had to have that weekend off finallyone of them asked, so of course as I expected the postmaster, my boss, is already giving me a hard time teasing me about it as I knew he would

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#200 of 230 Old 05-13-2006, 11:35 AM

How's everyone?
It's getting hot here. i'm counting days till i deliver .... hoping sooner than later. Was Checked on Thurs. Not contracting. Cervix not ripe. 50% effaced. Head down, all good, But i want to be comfortable again: ....
Just ready to hold and see this one!
Love and encouragement to all of you ...
Happy Saturday~
Peace~*
#201 of 230 Old 05-13-2006, 11:40 AM

Peace, I hope you have a wonderful birth. Be sure to update us and let us know how it goes. Sending positive labor vibes your way Enjoy the end of your pregnancy!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#202 of 230 Old 05-13-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace~*

How's everyone?
It's getting hot here. i'm counting days till i deliver .... hoping sooner than later. Was Checked on Thurs. Not contracting. Cervix not ripe. 50% effaced. Head down, all good, But i want to be comfortable again: ....
Just ready to hold and see this one!
Love and encouragement to all of you ...
Happy Saturday~
Peace~*
I was due a few days ago... been too intent on going into labor myself to be thinking of anything else.
#203 of 230 Old 05-13-2006, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have been on this journey for 18months now...well actually longer I realize that after my twins were born in a forced c-section manner i was angry and started to research everything I could and that was really the beginning of my journey/calling to birthwork. But for the last 18 months I have been in a private course titled "midwifery/doula intensive" it is not MEAC accreddited and is more for the "porfolio" method of liscensure (sorry sp? not my strong point while NAK!) This intensive has been so wonderful for my book knowledge and I have gained immensley. I have doula'd for 2 births and assisted a midwife to 1 birth. I have 4 kids and have used that as my limitation on furthering my professional life as a doula/apprentice. I would so love to move forward clinicaly since that is where the true education takes place! I had a hvba2c 17 months ago, and have become very passionate about vbac mamas in paticualar which makes my situation even stickier since most of the midwives in my state do not do vbac because they are fear/liability based. So what to do, what to do???? I don't know if I should persue getting certified as a doula, I am a bit outside that whole thing and don't think the role of the doula is to "DO". I think what really certifies you is the WOMEN! However I havn't ruled become certified with one of the doula organizations out, I want to get out there and start being more active in practicing but don't know exactly how I will do this just yet. Any suggestions would be awsome.
#204 of 230 Old 05-15-2006, 07:44 PM

Hey all!!

I also want to become a midwife! I am starting my CBE/Doula training through ALACE or CAPPA soon; we're moving in a few months, so I may wait until we are in our new house to start. I want to be able to concentrate without the stress of packing/moving, etc. I cannot wait to start my journey to midwifery!! Illinois needs to get with the program thoughl there are no birthing centers currently...
#205 of 230 Old 05-16-2006, 07:00 PM

I wanted to chime in and say that it is official. I am finally enrolled in midwifery school with AAMI and my apprenticeship is going great. Also, I just found out that although I am not getting paid currently to apprentice, as I learn more and am more useful to my preceptor, she will pay me accordingly for my skills. Icing on the cake.

#206 of 230 Old 05-16-2006, 11:39 PM

bionic ~ Awesome! Are there many mw there in Wichita??

my5girls ~ Sounds like we are on similar paths. No birth centers here in OK either.

I got my certification packets today. Very exciting and overwhelming at the same time!!
#207 of 230 Old 05-17-2006, 12:45 AM

[QUOTE=teachinmaof3]bionic ~ Awesome! Are there many mw there in Wichita??
QUOTE]

There are three that I know of and I have heard rumors of there being one more, but I don't know who that is. I don't think she is really practicing. I was nervous about trying to find an apprenticeship, but that luckily, was the easiest part. The hardest part for me has been trying to find childcare and I only have one child to worry about. I don't know how you mamas with large families do it.

#208 of 230 Old 05-17-2006, 04:58 AM

So for those that are just now enrolling in midwifery school, how many years did you have to wait between knowing you wanted to be a midwife and actually enrolling?

It is so hard waiting. I have this dream but it just seems so far away. Doing doula/CBE work is what I'm doing now just to get into the birthing scene here and to keep me from going insane. I thought that would be enough, but everytime I see someone else finally getting into midwifery school, I can't help but be a little jealous!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#209 of 230 Old 05-17-2006, 11:46 AM

Interesting. None of my friends up there are ones who wouldn't even consider homebirth so I've been curious that.
#210 of 230 Old 05-17-2006, 11:54 AM

I can't remember if I posted in this thread or not.

Anyway, I was in school to be a midwife for a year when I got preggers and now I am mama to a 15 month old and I'm at least 15 YEARS from being a midwife, so "aspiring" is a great term for me.

~laura
and planning to eat it again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page