Mothering Forum banner

Aspiring midwives or doulas

12K views 229 replies 81 participants last post by  Kaitnbugsmom 
#1 ·
I couldn't find a thread, so isn't it time for a new one?

I am an aspiring midwife and I'm looking for someone to take me under their wing as an apprentice. The only human birth I've ever attended is my daughter's, but I've midwived an awful lot of farm animals.
I would really love to assist/attend a few homebirths in this area and start learning the ropes.

I live in Mississippi and I've been asking around, but so far I haven't found anyone who is taking an apprentice. There aren't many midwives around here, but midwifery is legal. YAY! Even if you live in Memphis or within an hour or two of me I'd be willing to give it a go.

My education consists of some formal college and lots of the School of Life, but I start this spring in pre-nursing with the hopes of being in nursing school by the fall.

At this point I'm information gathering and reading, reading, reading. I can't afford nursing school AND formal midwife school, so I'm looking for alternate routes.

Anyone else an aspiring midwife or doula?

See less See more
#152 ·
So glad I found a group here!

I'm in California and need some help knowing my options for becoming a midwife. The state-by-state legalities and many associations and programs have me all mixed up.

My life goal would be a homebirth midwife, trained by expericne not school.
But I consider, would the CNM route (even working in a hosptial for a while) get me the experience faster and establish me in the communtiy better, and then I could move out on my own in a decade?

I just moved and am not well-connected to the birth scene in this area (east bay, CA). I'd love to assist and aprentice but what should I do first to get true expericne so people trust me and respect me and will take me on?
If the answer is doula-ing (cool!) does it matter if I use DONA or CAPPA?

Or should I press on 1st with nursing school? (I have a bachelors in economics, no science)

#153 ·
oh wow, i forgot about this thread!!
well, i have one birth to go (out of 75), and i take the NARM next week!!!!!! yay! im not going to practice until this new babe is a little older (she's 20weeks gestation right now), but im still soooo excited!

#154 ·
Thought I would stop in a say Hi! I'm an aspiring midwife. It looks like I will be going the CNM route at this point. CPMs are illegal in my state, Indiana, and with a small child at home and more on the way some day I can't risk the finicial and possibly criminal issues of being prosicuted. Being a CPM is my true calling but I'll do the CNM if it means I get to catch babies!

I'm currently working as a backup doula and will start working as a part time doula in a doula on call service. I also teach babywearing and am going to start my own business, MeiBaby Wraps. All of that while working fulltime and taking care my dd who is 8 months old. I hope to start my RN schooling this coming fall.

Anyone have any experience with Frontier chool of Midwifery?

#155 ·
Nice to see some action around here!
Homemademomma: Congrats!!! That is so exciting to have made it so far1 and good luck on your NARM exam! wow!

I also want to say welcome to all the new people on this thread too! Sorry if I dont have much to offer but I like being a part of it.

My latest is that i start the CBE class that I will use to full fill my reqiurement before I take the DONA workshop in April. I have been through this same class more than once as a pg mom, but am really getting excited to look at it from another point of veiw. When I talked to the nurse who is the CBE at our local hospital she was very encouraging!

The only thing I am concerned with in my area is that there are NO homebirth midwives, they are EVERYWHERE else in Oregon, but not in my are
: and it sounds like there is really only 2 other certified Doulas around here but they both work for 2 of the busy OBs in the area, making there services free to patients of that OB. Now to you and I this may not mean anything, as Im sure they are not the best fit for everyone, but most people around here are pretty mainstream about birth and wouldnt pay someone to do soemthing that they can have someone else do free. So I guess I will focus on getting my cert, then worry about how to find clients later. Esspecially seeing as I think I can only handle about 6-8 births per year right now.

Dh is starting to come around and realize that just because he has NO understandign as to why anyone would want to be a Doula, or a Midwife for that matter, doesnt mean I shouldnt do it. Now if I could only find a way to make my day job more flexible

Now I just need to squeeze in some more reading time!

#156 ·
Hi, I want to introduce myself. My name is Heather and I have an 18mo dd. I've recently started attending the doula workshop at Birthingway college of Midwifery in Portland, Or. I'm also looking into becoming a LC. It took me awhile read through all 8 pages of this thread.

#157 ·
I've been lurking for a while
, and thought it was time I added my two cents. I've wanted to be a midwife since I graduated college and got married! I have since realized that, with my little ones as little as they are (2 and 4, and hopes for more soon), I'll have to take baby steps to that goal for the time being. I have decided to be a doula and a childbirth educator. I've been doing the reading for months (and re-reading...much of the syllabus I've already read for my own use and/or obsession
), and finally was able to sign up in the past few weeks!

I already have my first clients (talk about quick...), and they're due in the next few weeks. I'm so excited. To top it off, my husband is so supportive, that he does everything he can to make sure that I reach my goal (including finding me my first clients!). He puts the kids to bed at night to let me get an extra hour of studying in. He does all the weekend housework...to let me get extra reading in. He takes the kids out to play after work...you know the rest. What a love.

I also have plans to complete Massage Therapy school in the next 18 months(there's a 6 month long, once a week hands on, rest of the time study from home course nearby), and to finish the LLL leader training in that time period as well. I figure I may as well do those two things to make me a better doula and cbe...and in the end, they'll make me a better midwife, as well! I'm fine with taking my time about the midwifery thing. I'm first and foremost a mom right now. It's nice, though to have some new activities to tickle my brain. It's cool to see so many others with the same passions.

#158 ·
Hi All! I am currently going to school to become and LPN. I am new to Virginia. I live in the Norfolk area, and I was wondering how I can get information on becoming a midwife. I know there are a few different types of midwives, but I'm having trouble finding out exactly what they all are and what I need to do to become one. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it!

#159 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisnicole
Hi All! I am currently going to school to become and LPN. I am new to Virginia. I live in the Norfolk area, and I was wondering how I can get information on becoming a midwife. I know there are a few different types of midwives, but I'm having trouble finding out exactly what they all are and what I need to do to become one. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it!
From the MANA Website

Quote:
Certified Midwife (CM)
A Certified Midwife (CM) is an individual educated in the discipline of midwifery, who possesses evidence of certification according to the requirements of the American College of Nurse-Midwives.

Certified Midwife (CM) is also used in certain states as a designation of certification by the state or midwifery organization.

Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM)
A Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM) is an individual educated in the two disciplines of nursing and midwifery, who possesses evidence of certification according to the requirements of the American College of Nurse-Midwives.

Certified Professional Midwife (CPM)
A Certified Professional Midwife is a knowledgeable, skilled and professional independent midwifery practitioner who has met the standards for certification set by the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM) and is qualified to provide the midwifery model of care. The CPM is the only international credential that requires knowledge about and experience in out-of-hospital settings.

Direct-Entry Midwife (DEM)
A direct-entry midwife is an independent practitioner educated in the discipline of midwifery through self-study, apprenticeship, a midwifery school, or a college- or university-based program distinct from the discipline of nursing. A direct-entry midwife is trained to provide the Midwives Model of Care to healthy women and newborns throughout the childbearing cycle primarily in out-of-hospital settings.

Lay Midwife
The term "Lay Midwife" has been used to designate an uncertified or unlicensed midwife who was educated through informal routes such as self-study or apprenticeship rather than through a formal program. This term does not necessarily mean a low level of education, just that the midwife either chose not to become certified or licensed, or there was no certification available for her type of education (as was the fact before the Certified Professional Midwife credential was available). Other similar terms to describe uncertified or unlicensed midwives are traditional midwife, traditional birth attendant, granny midwife and independent midwife.

Licensed Midwife (LM)
A licensed midwife is a midwife who is licensed to practice in a particular jurisdiction (usually a state or province).
Hope this helps

#160 ·
Belle.. thanks for the info!

I am really interested in becoming a CNM since I am already in nursing school. I am wondering which is better to be, a CNM or a CPM. Is one higher than the other? And do you have to get a degree in something before you can become a CPM? And also, how long is the schooling for CNM after you get your RN, and also how long does it take to become a CPM? I am also wondering if anyone knows if there are any midwifery schools in Virginia. Sorry for all the questions everyone, but I figured this would be the best place to ask!

#161 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisnicole
Belle.. thanks for the info!

I am really interested in becoming a CNM since I am already in nursing school. I am wondering which is better to be, a CNM or a CPM. Is one higher than the other? And do you have to get a degree in something before you can become a CPM? And also, how long is the schooling for CNM after you get your RN, and also how long does it take to become a CPM? I am also wondering if anyone knows if there are any midwifery schools in Virginia. Sorry for all the questions everyone, but I figured this would be the best place to ask!
Hi there, I'll jump in

A CNM would be "higher" in that a CNM can practice [relatively] easily in hospitals, birth centers, and homes. They are considered advanced practice nurses so they have the same scope as a OB/GYN nurse practitioner with the bonus of midwifery. Depending on the state they are independent pracititioners and can apply for prescriptive authority. You can look at ACNM accredited programs here for CNM school: http://acnm.org/careers.cfm?id=86 The length of programs vary because there are traditional programs and accelerated programs.

A prospective CPM would follow the NARM requirements for education and they are to provide documentation of education and clinical experience through the Portfolio Evaluation Process ("PEP") or by graduating from a MEAC (http://meacschools.org/) program. A MEAC graduate would have a midwifery degree in addition to the CPM credential. Usually the educational process is relative to how busy the preceptor(s) is that you've chosen. It has taken me just about three years to complete my process.

#164 ·
I finally got my butt in gear and enrolled with Childbirth International (CBI) about 2 weeks ago
. I'm taking their combined doula and CBE courses. I have learned so much already. Had my first potential client interview this week and am waiting to hear if they want me to be their doula. Keeping my fingers crossed

#165 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by metromidwife
Hi there, I'll jump in

A CNM would be "higher" in that a CNM can practice [relatively] easily in hospitals, birth centers, and homes. They are considered advanced practice nurses so they have the same scope as a OB/GYN nurse practitioner with the bonus of midwifery. Depending on the state they are independent pracititioners and can apply for prescriptive authority. You can look at ACNM accredited programs here for CNM school: http://acnm.org/careers.cfm?id=86 The length of programs vary because there are traditional programs and accelerated programs.

the only thing about being a cnm is you have to have an OB to back you up and sign your protocols, meaning you can only do OOH birth if a doc signs off. a lot of cnm ar eunable to do homebirth because no doctor wants to take on that liability. also most cnm programs focus on hospital training, which means many cnms get a more medical model of birth, which does not prepare them for the reality of ooh birth. in a cpm education course, OOH birth experience is required, and is the main focus. of course cnm students could take the initiative and precept in an OOH setting, but im not sure if that experience would "count" towards their certification. to me that is the drawback to the cnm route. our licensed midwife (direct entry) law in florida specifies that we can practice in home, birth center, or hospital settings, but in reality no flm has been able to get hospital priviledges up to this point. which seems illegal, somehow.....???

#166 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by homemademomma
the only thing about being a cnm is you have to have an OB to back you up and sign your protocols, meaning you can only do OOH birth if a doc signs off.
This varies by state. In CO where I am CNMs are independent practitioners and are not required to have a back up physician of record. They do need one to sponsor their DEA furnishing privilege to write prescriptions, however. ACNM has a booklet that outlines the scope of practice by state for CNMs.

Quote:

of course cnm students could take the initiative and precept in an OOH setting, but im not sure if that experience would "count" towards their certification.
Sure it counts. They can do clinical work for their accumulation of experience in any setting, as long as the preceptor in home birth or birth center has liability insurance in place (the student has her own as part of the school she attends). One of my good friends did a bulk of her clinical experience split between two home birth/birth center practices. She is a Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing grad (as is my preceptor who did all of her clinical OOH).

Quote:

our licensed midwife (direct entry) law in florida specifies that we can practice in home, birth center, or hospital settings, but in reality no flm has been able to get hospital priviledges up to this point. which seems illegal, somehow.....???
It's a by-laws issue and I don't think it's illegal as a hospital can set up its employee policy however they like.

Kris

#167 ·
hi...aspiring doula here...glad to find this thread! I'm looking into distance learning thru CAPPA as a PPD and plan to expand into my own holistic practice
A few questions....are there any CAPPA certified doulas here, how was your experience w/CAPPA? Are postpartum doulas as in demand as birth doulas or lactation educators (I'm not completely decieded which to train for)? thx!

#168 ·
I just wanted to throw in my input on the CNM vs CPM route. I think that both have their good and bad parts. It depends on how a person uses the knowledge they gain. A CNM doesn't necessarily have to be "medicalized". Sometime too it depends on what type of service you would like to offer your clients. I am working my way through school to be a CNM and I struggled with coming to that decision. I would like to offer well woman care, like yearly physicals and healthcare for the entire family as a Nurse Practioner, so thats why I ultimately decided to go that route. But, to each her own... I feel that we are equals.

#171 ·
OK, OK, since you gals are saying it is too slow, and not getting any awnsers I will reply. I have no awnsers.
Sorry. I was looking into the distance thing as I have decided that I definantly want to be certified. Mostly just because even though I am in what I would say is one of the most homebirth and natural birth friendly states, alomost noone in my town has even heard of a Doula. There is only one midwife in town and she is a CNM working out of an OB practice. There is one other Doula in town as well but she works for one of the OBs and therefore her services are free to his patients. I get the feeling she is pretty mainstream though, even though many of the OB nurses at our local hospital are not.

Hmm, now Im rambleing.

Anyway, I got to really digging deep in myself and realized that I feel I could learn SOOO much better if I went with an actual workshop where I could participate in discussion, ask questions and really feel involved in my learning. That limited my chooses for cert to one. DONA. It is not my first choice as I think my first choice would be CAPPA but not as a distance program.

As far as the demand for pp doulas vs birth doulas and cbe, I just dont know, the size of the town you live in could play a big role. I cant even begin right now to figure out if there will even be any demand for hired birth doulas around here. We used to have a nice birth center here in town , but they closed there doors about 18 months ago, not do to lack of clients though. So maybe I will find people who will value my service, and I just have to figure out how to get the work out.

#173 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by teachinmaof3
Lisa ~ Wow, sounds like you have quite an opportunity to change some people's ideas about birth!!

I'm trying to avoid the distance program. That was one of the things that made me choose CAPPA, but I think I want/need the live workshops.
Yep, I need the live stuff too, and I thought for the longest time that there want one closer than 300 miles from me til I found the one offered by a DONA trainer. She does them about once a year in eugene about an hour away. I really wanted to do CAPPA and attend there workshop, but nothing close to here at all! I hope I can change things around here. I dont even like this town but I dont have anything to go elsewhere for right now so I may as well make the best of what I can while I'm.

#174 ·
I am an aspiring Doula like many of you here. I have a BEAUTIFUL 9 month old daughter who loves to nurse and never leaves my side for more then an hour which is VERY rare! I was wondering if youhave ever heard of a Doula who brings their baby with them to births? Is this even a possibility for me? I very much want to persue this dream but am not willing to compromise my daughter. I imagine a mother needing me there as a coach and support and to help the father help the mother. Please let me know if you wonderful ladies think Im insane for wanting to bring my daughter along at least until shes ready to be away for long periods of time. I would like to know an honest opinon before I invest money into training.

#175 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmecke
I am an aspiring Doula like many of you here. I have a BEAUTIFUL 9 month old daughter who loves to nurse and never leaves my side for more then an hour which is VERY rare! I was wondering if youhave ever heard of a Doula who brings their baby with them to births? Is this even a possibility for me? I very much want to persue this dream but am not willing to compromise my daughter. I imagine a mother needing me there as a coach and support and to help the father help the mother. Please let me know if you wonderful ladies think Im insane for wanting to bring my daughter along at least until shes ready to be away for long periods of time. I would like to know an honest opinon before I invest money into training.
kmecke, That's the reason I waited to do my doula training. Ever since she was born I've wanted to pursue this, but I didn't feel that I would be able to give full attention to a mom in labor if I had my baby in a sling at the birth. Plus when my dd was your dd's age she was already cruising and she began walking at 10 months. She would not have sit quietly in the sling while many things were going on.

You need to make your own decision about this, but my choice was to wait.

#176 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmecke

I've wondered the same thing myself...it does seem like it would be very workable to have a child along which is why I have put off doula training. My daughter will be four in April and although she still really needs me and I am still her 24/7 caregiver, it is time for me to persue other things...I have concerns over being away from her but my instincts tell me it is time.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.