Aspiring midwives or doulas - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 230 Old 05-17-2006, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my acceptance letter from SMS a couple of days ago. This is very exciting. I have been 'aspiring' for about 5 years now . The only problem for me right now is money. I'm scared of the money aspect of all of this. It would be awful to give up a dream over finances, though, so we'll find a way. Even if it involves knees, perpetual familial humiliation, and my mother.

I'm most of the way through the certification process with DONA so I may be finishing that up even though I'm going to be starting SMS in the fall. I mean, I'm not about to drop the clients I have now, but I'm considering not filing the paperwork with DONA because 1)they're kind of anal about it and 2)it costs money that I don't think would be well spent.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#212 of 230 Old 05-23-2006, 02:30 PM

Our Sweet girl was born 5-19-06. All is well and she's settling into home life with dd & ds.

Love to you all. Peace~*
#213 of 230 Old 05-23-2006, 05:41 PM

congratulations peace, she is beautiful!

dust.gif
#214 of 230 Old 07-10-2006, 02:25 AM

Joining the tribe (I haven't read all 200 posts)

Long (life) story short - I've been interested in birth since I was a kid. I never pursued it due to upbringing and "sociatal norms" or expectations. However, I kept in touch with information and news off and on. After years of frustration and lack of passion coupled with life happenings as well as trying to overcome mentioned blocks, I'm beginning the path. I've seriously started out within the last year and am working on my doula certification. I had intended to do the CNM route but I currently work in a hospital (not in patient care) and have kept informed of the "state of nursing" from actual nurses and have realized that immersion in the medical model and employment working conditions, it's not something I really wanted to do. All that to say that I'm a hopeful and aspiring LM.
#215 of 230 Old 07-20-2006, 09:38 PM

Hello everyone!!

I am looking into becoming a doula. I have a very strong desire to start this new path but not sure if I can working full-time. I guess I"m not sure what I would do if I'm at work and a client calls me because she's going into labor! Well, I know that if it is meant to be it is and in the meantime, I'm reading, reading, reading!

Blessings!

Kim
#216 of 230 Old 07-25-2006, 06:17 PM

Hey everybody, I'm very tentatively and shyly joining this tribe, thinking of going to midwifery school a few years down the road. I've been very interested in the whole pregnancy and birth process, both on a personal/spiritual level and a technical/geeky level for a long time, probably actually since I watched my mom go through it all with my little brother. My experience with homebirth midwives for my new baby was so inspiring, I'm really thinking this might be my calling. Feminism is very important to me and I feel in a lot of ways midwifery is a concrete application of those principles.

It's going to be a long, slow journey for me, I have the little one to take care of right now and I will possibly have a second one that I want to see through two years of breastfeeding before I commit to a career defined by all-nighters away from home. I'm reading a lot and looking into taking a CBE course to get my feet wet and start really meeting people and doing stuff in the field.

Anyhow, howdy!
#217 of 230 Old 07-31-2006, 09:51 PM

Giving this a bump!

Got thru my LD/CBE training. Trying to work out childcare now so I can start taking clients.

I'm going to another training in October tho.
#218 of 230 Old 08-01-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiedevivre184
Hi. I'm Shelby. I plan on becomming a midwife when i graduate high school (i'm a senior now). I'll be going to a community college when i graduate for nursing for 2 yrs. I live in NJ now, but i plan on moving to TN. I'll be getting some books to read about Midwifery after christmas, when i have some money.
This has changed now. I'm not going to the community college. I'm doing the distance learning program at http://www.globalmidwives.org/ including the A&P. I'm going to enroll around October. :

Shelby
#219 of 230 Old 08-01-2006, 06:18 PM

That's great Shelby!!!

My plans have changed too. That other training I was going to go to has been postponed.
#220 of 230 Old 08-01-2006, 07:46 PM

hi! i've posted a few times in this thread~~ just wanted to update and say i am now a mother of two AND a licensed midwife (florida and cpm)!!!! woohoo! obviously not practicing right now, but hoping to get a PT job at an established birth center or HB practice eventually.

link to my birth story & pictures
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=478675

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#221 of 230 Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 PM

Any littel Rock mamas out there. I really am looking for an oppurtunity here.
#222 of 230 Old 08-01-2006, 08:07 PM

i'm taking another course through utah midwifery and want to complete the CAPPA doula distance traiing program (not ideal, but hey - who has an ideal life ). i want to start attending births next spring. working out childcare stuff around here too.

i want to start fulltime midwifery studies late 2007

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#223 of 230 Old 08-01-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma
hi! i've posted a few times in this thread~~ just wanted to update and say i am now a mother of two AND a licensed midwife (florida and cpm)!!!! woohoo! obviously not practicing right now, but hoping to get a PT job at an established birth center or HB practice eventually.

link to my birth story & pictures
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=478675
congrats!

I'm considering taking DONA classes in October but not sure if I'll have the money... I can make it work by slinging dd during the 3-day intensive class. I really want to pursue homebirth midwifery apprenticeship but thought doula'ing could be a good first step.
#224 of 230 Old 08-01-2006, 11:53 PM

Congrats homemademomma!!!!
#225 of 230 Old 08-03-2006, 11:37 PM

#226 of 230 Old 08-04-2006, 12:08 AM

Aspiring, but not sure where to begin. So, I thought I could subb here and glean info.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#227 of 230 Old 08-09-2006, 01:41 PM

Had one for two weeks following the birth of my first son. I had had a rotten birth, severe b'feeding difficulties, major baby blues, and no family/friends/support. This lady was a blessing to me on so many levels. "Mothering the mother" is so essential and so misunderstood in our present birth culture!

I can take my pension from my job in 5 years, in the meantime I have gotten the DONA and CAPPA requirements, and have started ordering/reading some material.

Good luck to us all!!!
#228 of 230 Old 08-09-2006, 01:43 PM

I'm so excited... I'm looking at taking an assisting workshop with one of the local midwives. Nursing babies are welcome and all that stands in my way is coming up with the money. :
#229 of 230 Old 08-09-2006, 04:03 PM

I'm a midwife in Texas that is moving to Michigan (Grand Rapids area it looks like) in the next couple of months and I would love to find an apprentice who would like to help me out. It would be a great experience to see my business grow (hopefully fast) from scratch. Anyone in the area wanna chat?
~Shannon
#230 of 230 Old 08-27-2006, 07:40 PM

subbing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page