midwives and GBS+ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering how this affects a womans birth choices. Im sure if I researched it I could find more info online or in a text but just thought this might be faster.
Does a positive rule out homebirth? Birth center delivery? I know that it rules out waterbirth, at least from what my logic and local hearsay tell me.

How do you handle it routinly?
thanks!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-07-2006, 12:35 AM

Not sure about the "rules", but I had a homebirth (and planned waterbirth, but I got out of the tub and couldn't get myself back in) while GBS positive. My mw recommended oil of oregano therapy once my water broke.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#3 of 8 Old 01-07-2006, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles
Not sure about the "rules", but I had a homebirth (and planned waterbirth, but I got out of the tub and couldn't get myself back in) while GBS positive. My mw recommended oil of oregano therapy once my water broke.
did you receive any other treatments to help keep you from passing it on to the baby? I only ask because I dont think most of the public realizes hoe easily it is passed on and how dangerous it is to the baby. I think unless you work with these cases or are close to someone involved in a situation that it affected, that you would know I guess

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#4 of 8 Old 01-07-2006, 12:44 AM

Well - I was GBS positive and we decided to do the "garlic cure" which basically meant that for three nights I placed a clove of garlic up inside me - its suppose to work miracles and totally rid you of infection - but when I tested again after that, I still had GBS - AND I smelled funky! Its worth a try - ask your midwife about it.

So, since I had a pretty killer infection & my membranes ruptured before labor started we decided to do IV antibiotics at home - she was a direct entry midwife but was trained in how to do IVs and whatnot.

It didn't stop me from getting in and out of the birthing tub.

My water did break before labor started - something that happens more often in GBS moms because the bacteria can go up and work on weakening the bag of, but I was 40+ weeks at that point and it didn't matter too much.
#5 of 8 Old 01-07-2006, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs
I dont think most of the public realizes hoe easily it is passed on and how dangerous it is to the baby. I think unless you work with these cases or are close to someone involved in a situation that it affected, that you would know I guess
There is a lot of debate on this - It isn't that easily passed on to the baby. I had a raging infection and Ella was perfectly fine. One in 3 women has GBS and only 1 out of 1000 of those babies gets infected and out of those babies 1 in 1000 gets seriously or deathly ill.

For a full term healthy infant, it isn't that much of a concern - they have found that the following things increase the risk of the infant contracting the bacteria:

- Prematurity
- Rupture of membranes for longer than 12 hours
- Mother has a fever before or during labor
- Rupture of membranes before the onset of labor

Since my membranes ruptured before labor started I decided to go with a much stronger and harsher treatment than originally planned (IV antibiotics at home) If labor had come on naturally - we would have done an antibiotic douch/rinse, but thats about it.

If you think about it, getting in the water isn't going to make much of a difference in spreading the infection - your vaginal canal does not fill with water when you get into the bath. What WILL make the infection spread is frequent vaginal exams - so really, I would be much more concerned about that than about being in a tub of water.
#6 of 8 Old 01-07-2006, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyC
There is a lot of debate on this - It isn't that easily passed on to the baby. I had a raging infection and Ella was perfectly fine. One in 3 women has GBS and only 1 out of 1000 of those babies gets infected and out of those babies 1 in 1000 gets seriously or deathly ill.

If you think about it, getting in the water isn't going to make much of a difference in spreading the infection - your vaginal canal does not fill with water when you get into the bath. What WILL make the infection spread is frequent vaginal exams - so really, I would be much more concerned about that than about being in a tub of water.
Im following you on the water thing. I just know that the birth center we had here with a few really good miwives and the hospital where I delivered would nto let you have a waterbirth if you were GBS+.

as for the stats you quote, i dont believe it one bit. Not saying this personally to you just the stats. I have a close aunt that is a respitory therapist in a busy NICU and she has told me about many, many cases where the babies that become infected die. at one point it was nearly 1 in 10 that were infected. I know, everyone will start to try to criticise the level of care or something, Im not trying to go there. I was + with my first 2 deliveries, but not my 3rd. I would not have chosen a lesser treatment than the iv antibiotics I received. I did my research on the disease itself. And have seen what devistation it can so needlessly cause families. Just not from the angle of alternative birth options.

Thank you for sharing as I really was just wanting to know if midwives would take on a situation requiring the iv antibiotic in a homebirth situation.

#7 of 8 Old 01-07-2006, 01:47 PM

Who was it that said "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics" ??? Good motto to live by!

I had heard that the stastics are rising especially in hospital settings - one theory is that scalp electrobe that they place on the baby's head to monitor heartrate opens up a wound for infection to spread to the baby - so if you think about it, it makes since that they would be seeing a rise in infections at a busy NICU unit. Also a NICU unit would have more premature infants, more early rupture of membrane complications and whatnot.

Its still pretty rare in the homebirth community. My midwife had delivered 1000+ babies and still hasn't seen one - doesn't mean that she (or I ) take the matter lightly, its always something to be concerned about.
#8 of 8 Old 01-07-2006, 08:34 PM

Those statistics Wendy is siting is what I have seen from the CDC. I'm sure they keep much better records than your aunt.
There was also a study done ages ago that showed that most babies with GBS did not have a positive mother meaning that the GBS had to be contracted from somewhere else. The conclusion was hospital staff with poor handwashing.
75% of the American populace has GBS, it's actually a very common intestinal bacteria and I would love to see research on the postive impact GBS has on our intestianl tracks. I can't imagine that so many people have it and it not serve some purpose.

I choose not to get tested and there for not to be treated. The risks the ABX pose are IMO more likely than those posed by the GBS.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page