Breast pain in second trimester - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-18-2006, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a client who is complaining of quite painful sharp stinging sensation mainly in and around the nipple area. She is due May 15. What reason/advice can I give her on this? It doesn't sound like the normal breast pain during pregnancy, and it just started. Anyone have an idea? I've done some research but having trouble finding anything.

Thanks
Marilyn

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
#2 of 5 Old 01-18-2006, 08:48 PM

Any lumps?

Mastitis or thrush come to mind. Uncommon during pregnancy but not unheard of. Does she have vag yeast? Is it burning stinging (yeast)? Or, if lumpy, hot and hard and more of a dull ache (mastitis)?
#3 of 5 Old 01-19-2006, 06:42 PM

Has she had any breast surgery, piercings? Is the skin where it happens changing/blanching? That could be Reynauds syndrome and heat can help.
#4 of 5 Old 01-23-2006, 01:47 AM

Is this her first pregnancy? I've heard of this and it is actually common for women to have this pain during pregnancy. Usually after nursing one or two babes moms won't notice this sort of sensation anymore. I have read that this is normal and okay. Of course she would want to make sure she doesn't have any lumps. But it sounds very normal to me.

Amanda, wife to my best friend Josh, Mommy to Jenna, Lukas, Adam, Livea and Ethan!
#5 of 5 Old 01-23-2006, 09:52 AM

I have usually very unsensitive nipples. Nothing during 1st pregnancy but during my second I had intermittent nipple pain from the 2nd trimester on. It was horrible. Anything touching them when they hurt was horrible.

I went braless at home, switched to soft cotton sports bras. When they did hurt, I usually put warm compresses or rice bags and that tended to help. I could never find an answer but I just chalked it up to hormonal changes and mammary development. It went away post birth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page