cervical lip or just 9 cm? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-03-2006, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm calling myself an ad hoc direct-entry doula, LOL.....I doula'd at my friend's hospital birth this past weekend, and I have a question.

The L&D RN declared my friend to be complete. So we (laboring mom, dad, me) leave the serene dark calm private bathroom space and laboring mom hops up onto the bed for another vag exam. The nurse was wondering what she was feeling for sutures (this RN thought the baby was OP because the laboring mom wanted counterpressure during ctx. Mom had no back labor.)

Then she askes the MD to vag exam her, and he says she has a cervical lip.

He tells laboring mom to wait, ctx peter out as laboring mom is now reclining on bed vs. standing and moving in the darkened bathroom. After an hour, we get laboring mom back into the bathroom "Do you want to pee on the toilet?!" I ask.

Her labor picks up again and after a while (1/2 hour?) she's near-naked and loud and grunty and pushy and is again invited by the MD and the RN to leave the dark bathroom and hoist herself onto the bed to "be delivered." Now there's no cervical lip.

My question:

was this an actual cervical lip? or was this mama just 9 cm?

...and any other thoughts/reflections you might have about this experience would be appriciated and valued. Thank you!!
#2 of 4 Old 03-03-2006, 06:28 PM

It's all everyone's personal opionion when doing vag exams. It could have been either. I think the point was, was Mama ready to push, did she need a rest before the work of pushing, did she need more private time, did she wish to birth in the dark security of the bathroom...?

Mama will rest, when she needs it, find a dark spot to labor when she needs it, push when she is ready to birth her baby.

You did the right thing in getting her back in her comfy spce, her "nest."
#3 of 4 Old 03-06-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

thanks Zoo Loo...

and you are right on the money--she wasn't ready to push & she did need more alone time. Also, I appriciate your insight as to the subjective nature of vag exams...as I've never done one! It seems to me like almost complete or complete would be a definitive answer (vs. 4 cm or 6 cm, which must be harder to appriciate.)
#4 of 4 Old 03-06-2006, 03:53 PM

I've had a nurse try to push a doula client through the reduction of a "lip" and when it failed, the nurse said "well, really, she has a rim all the way around." I was like, "oh, so really she's about 9 cm and it's normal to be grunty and not really want to push?" (this nurse got off at 7am but really wanted to "be there" for the birth *sigh*). I think sometimes it's so easy to say, "oh, we can just get this thing out of the way and get on with it," when really the path of least resistance is to just WAIT it out. I know the particular client I mentioned had some swelling in her cervix and then did end up with an anterior lip that didn't go away for hours. Wonder what would've happened if the hurried nurse hadn't tried to "reduce" her 9cm cervix?

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page