Too fat for vaginal birth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2006, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ummmmm wouldn't major abdominal surgery be more risky for an overweight woman than a vaginal delivery??! If there are no other risks, hypertension, diabetes etc. I can't really get what the big deal is...sheesh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saritabeth
ummmmm wouldn't major abdominal surgery be more risky for an overweight woman than a vaginal delivery??! If there are no other risks, hypertension, diabetes etc. I can't really get what the big deal is...sheesh!
That is what I thought. In what I have learned, it has been rather clear that the possible difficulties in perfoming a c/s on obese women are increased due to the extra weight. There are even, beleive it or not, drs out there that will try harder to avoid a c/s with overweight patients due to the increase in possible complications.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Old 03-19-2006, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah
I am a big woman who was sectioned due to having an asynclitic baby, whose sideways head prevented me from dilating on the hospital timetable, and since my membranes had ruptured, I chickened out on waiting.
OT: would you explain this in lay terms? somehow it seems like maybe what they told me about my ds, and i had an emergency C-section. i remember them saying something like "his head is like a key and it won't fit in the lock". is that what you are describing?
oh, and my water broke hours before that happened.

you can email me off-list if you think it more appropriate.
[email protected]

thanks!
pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

User Tag List