New client was born at home. Guess who attended her birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-24-2006, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pam England :HOLYCRAP:

She told me how Pam attended her sister's birth too, and how she is friends with Skylar, and I was like WOW -- I never imagine people like Pam England, Penny Simkin, Ina May, and Henci Goer as like REAL people. I've seen them in videos and read their books and everything but WOW.

Just wanted to share

ETA: smilies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-24-2006, 09:29 AM

Penny Simkin actually taught my doula training at Seattle Midwifery School. I was shocked to find out that the was pretty much like one of my aunts, only much, much cooler I was so in awe going into the class, and it was so inspiring to train with her, but I would still give my little toe to actually attend a birth with her.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#3 of 16 Old 03-24-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doula and mom

She told me how Pam attended her sister's birth too, and how she is friends with Skylar, and I was like WOW -- I never imagine people like Pam England, Penny Simkin, Ina May, and Henci Goer as like REAL people. I've seen them in videos and read their books and everything but WOW.

Just wanted to share

Erika,

Shes very lucky to have Pam England.

Thank you.
#4 of 16 Old 03-25-2006, 08:08 AM

How exciting!!!
I know what you mean about how you can forget that these are real people. Can you imagine what it must be like to have Ina May as your mw? I know that women go there (the Farm) all the time to deliver and have her as a mw. I can imagine that you would feel VERY confident while giving birth!
#5 of 16 Old 03-25-2006, 10:02 AM

I saw Ina May talk at the North Carolina annual LLL meeting last fall. She was so inspiring! She talked about all the kinds of "high-risk" births they attend there at the Farm, and what their statistics are (incredibly low rate of transfer/c-section even for "high-risk" mothers). We are about 5 hours away, so too far to plan a birth there, and I want to have a homebirth anyway, but if I ended up high-risk for some reason I would totally go out there and stay for the last few weeks of my pregnancy so I could still give birth outside of a hospital (no birth center near where I live now).
#6 of 16 Old 03-25-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doula and mom

Just wanted to share

Very cool!

I shook Penny Simkin's hand at the DONA conference last summer and I almost cried. I'm such a dork!

Oh, and my friend (a midwife) is at the Midwifery Today conference this weekend and she's taking workshops with Ina May. I told her to make sure Ina May rubs her belly(she's pregnant)!

Noelia- mama to 4
#7 of 16 Old 03-25-2006, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
how fun
I have a mw friend who had her 2nd on the farm over 20 years ago
#8 of 16 Old 03-26-2006, 01:43 AM

I have had two clients that have had 'famous' midwives. It was a bit intimidating to tell the truth... but then I forgot and was just myself. I wonder who those clients were now?!?
#9 of 16 Old 03-26-2006, 12:52 PM

A friend of mine is a famous doula around here, well, only famous locally Anyway, Ina May attended and spoke ata conference here a little over a year ago. My friend was her personal helper and she kindlysaved a cup for me that Ina May drank from. Most people want things rock stars touch. Me? Cups from midwives!

Namaste, Tara
#10 of 16 Old 03-27-2006, 12:38 AM

My DONA doula trainer just went to a conference and had Penny as a roommate!!!! Lucky duck.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#11 of 16 Old 03-27-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTaraX
A friend of mine is a famous doula around here, well, only famous locally Anyway, Ina May attended and spoke ata conference here a little over a year ago. My friend was her personal helper and she kindlysaved a cup for me that Ina May drank from. Most people want things rock stars touch. Me? Cups from midwives!

Namaste, Tara

P.S. Tara, I love your siggie!!!
#12 of 16 Old 03-27-2006, 01:31 PM

Tara- that's hilarious!

Erika- it's funny that we are so enamored when most people would say "Ina who?".
#13 of 16 Old 03-27-2006, 11:18 PM

Yeah, that's so funny!!!

I figure I am the only person in my social circle that gets the same feeling about meeting Ina May as others do from meeting Brad Pitt - ha, can you imagine.......Ina May, the Brad Pitt of the mw and doula world.

I actually made it to the MWtoday conference this time and was truly inspired by MANY of the speakers there particularly by Naoli Vinaver (?sp) she was brilliant. I would travel to Mexico to have my baby with her as my mw!!
So who's sad now eh??
#14 of 16 Old 03-28-2006, 12:40 AM

I just chillaxed with ina may!!! And elizabeth davis and naoli vinaver...it was very cool, but they're all super down to earth. I felt dumb that
I thought they were so cool!!!!
wow....pam eng;and! VERY cool! Does she remember at all?
#15 of 16 Old 03-28-2006, 01:02 AM

I've been talking with Barbara Harper (Gentle Birth Choices) about doing a newsletter for Waterbirth International, we just haven't gotten it off the ground yet.

I've met Penny a few times, it helps that I live near Seattle. She is very approachable but yes, I did pee a little out of sheer joy the first time I met her. I have an autographed copy of When Survivor's Give Birth.

I assisted Polly Perez at the CAPPA conference in 2004 here in Seattle, what an incredible, sweet lady.

Pam is very approachable to the Birthing From Within folk and I got a letter from her when I had some questions on the Next Best Thing game before I became a Mentor Candidate with BFW. I saved it. LOL

I've met Henci a couple of times and have an autographed copy of The Thinking Woman's Guide.

When I first became a doula I couldn't imagine knowing these women, and I wouldn't say that I know them, but I have definitely interfaced with them enough times that it feels normal! (Weird, but normal! LOL)

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#16 of 16 Old 03-29-2006, 12:46 PM

I was just at a conference where Penny Simkin and Anne Frye both attended, and talked to them both. Also a bunch of other birth authors and paper-writers. Some are lovely people, others have fewer people skills!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page