Maternidad La Luz anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm really having trouble deciding where to go to school. First, I was thinking of going to Birthingway because of the degree, but it's really expensive, Portland is expensive, and I've heard that it takes forever to get enough births because of the amount of midwives in the area. Then I was thinking of Birthwise, but it's in the middle of nowhere and would require up to 2 1/2 hours one-way of travel to get to a birth, plus it's expensive (tourist area) and I'm worried about DH finding a decent job. Now I'm considering Maternidad La Luz's one year program. I know it's going to be incredibly intense, with three 24-hour shifts a week, but it's only a year, I won't have to travel a lot, and it meets the NARM requirements. Also, it's MUCH cheaper than the other programs. Drawbacks include living in TX (I did it for 2 1/2 years, I can handle one more), the amount of time spent away from family, and having to learn Spanish before I go (not a biggie, since I'm going back to school next month anyway and need a foreign language).

Has anyone had any experience with this school, or talked to anyone who's gone there?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
portland's expensive? i know birthingway is, and some housing in portland is, but i think it depends on where you are coming from and what you are anticipating for and what can be expected for work in the area.

and i haven't heard that it takes forever to get births because of the number of midwives here... oregon has one of the highest percentages of homebirths and out of hospital births in the country and that's why so many midwives.

that said, one of the midwives from our first child's birth was at maternidad for a short period of time. she said it's very intense but the number of births in the short amount of time is very educational. she enjoyed her time there.

~claudia
#3 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 11:55 PM

Have you considered International school of midwifery?
I had by baby there and I am talking my CBC there for my doula/CBE training>Shari Started Maternidad La Luz too.. The prog here in Miami is VERY intense too.. high number of births. and seems to be VERY educational. and it's only $100 a month.
#4 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 11:58 PM

#5 of 8 Old 05-18-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

It may be only $100 a month, but it's still 3 years and Miami is VERY expensive. I think it would be easier (and certainly cheaper) to do a year in El Paso.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#6 of 8 Old 05-18-2006, 05:09 PM

VERY TRUE!!! Good luck
#7 of 8 Old 05-19-2006, 12:25 AM

You could look into Association of Texas Midwives training program at http://www.texasmidwives.com/ It would be eaiser to do the modules and find a midwife in your area to become a precptor w/ ATM and apprentice under them. The training program is $3000 w/ a $150 application fee. They used to have a payment plan and probably still do.
#8 of 8 Old 05-19-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

The main reason I'm looking at formal schools is that there aren't any midwives where I'm from. Also, I think I would learn better in a school environment. I do appreciate the help, but I'm not really looking for non-school options. I've pretty much decided to go to MLL because of the cost and the short length. I'm just trying to find out what to expect when I get there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page