epidural and long-term effects - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-04-2003, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all you knowledgeable moms out there,

A pregnant friend was talking to her neighbor, and the neighbor was warning her about the long-term effects that epidurals can have on the baby. Now, we had both heard about the short-term effects of pain relief drugs on mother/child bonding, but I hadn't heard anything about long-term effects.

Does anyone have any information about this. The neighbor couldn't give my friend any specifics.
#2 of 3 Old 03-04-2003, 12:47 PM

Hokie,
i would be interested to know this. i have had an epidural.
#3 of 3 Old 03-04-2003, 01:03 PM

While I can't point you in the direction of research, I work with a lactation consultant and I know her experience is that epidurals can interfere with breastfeeding success. Baby will be in varying states of grogginess depending on how long the epidural was in. This can impact baby's ability to coordinate his/her sucking properly. Interestingly, she's never been unable to get a baby from a drug-free birth to latch on. There are many mom's that had epidurals that are able to nurse successfully, but it seems to add a wrinkle to the process. And with a mom that's already feeling overwhelmed, that may be enough to discourage her from breastfeeding.

Also, epidurals can increase the need for other interventions being used such as vacuum or forceps and that can most certainly cause problems such as head pain, tearing in the membranes that surround the brain, and nerve damage. I think that would really be my biggest reason to avoid an epidural.

There are other times though when an epidural can be what the mom needs to relax and help the birth progress. So, while I prefer the idea of an unmedicated birth, there are lots of different roads to a successful birth and that's really an individual process.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page