My friend lost her uterus. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 05-24-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need someone to look at this who is experienced in birth.

I am wondering if this isn't a Dr. mistake.

My friend went into labor yesterday evening. Her water broke at 6:30 and she went in.

She progressed nicely till early this morning. She had some pain meds, I don't know what. That stopped her labor. The doc then came in and told her she ahd to have a section. She was dialated to a 7 and fully engaged. Baby and mother were fine at this point. She was very opposed to a section and asked for more time. He told her she had an hour. :eyeroll

Three- four hours later she was having a section. Somthing happened and she was hemorraging. They thought that the main artery had been nicked. They wanted to fly her out to a bigger hospital but figured she wouldn't make it. Things were very serious at this point. The baby was fine.

SO she went in to surgery to do something about the bleeding. She was in sugery for over 3 hours. They took out her uterus. She is 20 years old and this was her first and only baby.

Here is the squicky part. The bleeding turned out to be because her cervix was torn. The Doc said this happened because her labor stalled out and the baby was engaged and doing nothing for those hours. BS? CYA medicine?

How did her cervix tear?

Why did they remove her uterus?

When all was said and done she had lost over 6 pints of blood and will probably lose more.

What happened here? Is there good reasons for all of this?

G
#2 of 37 Old 05-24-2006, 07:38 PM

Omg. That poor poor woman.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#3 of 37 Old 05-24-2006, 07:43 PM

omg that is so horrible
#4 of 37 Old 05-24-2006, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I meant to post this in Midwives. I am not sure what my problem is. Should I edit and start again or can it be moved?

Sorry Mods

G
#5 of 37 Old 05-24-2006, 08:33 PM

Just re-post it and then pm a mod asking if it can be combined.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#6 of 37 Old 05-24-2006, 08:41 PM

OMGosh! How horrible, your poor friend, she's so young .
#7 of 37 Old 05-24-2006, 09:30 PM

Oh my god, that is horrible This woman needs a good lawyer.
#8 of 37 Old 05-24-2006, 09:44 PM

I have no experience or advice but I just wanted to offer my deepest sympathy to your friend. That poor mama! How sad.

Blessed mama of four
::
#9 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 08:21 AM

If I can, I'd strongly suggest that you keep this link to pass to her:
http://www.a-little-wish.org.uk/
There is no apparent reason for a cervix to tear during a normal labour: I would guess that the reason the cervix tore was because contractions were forced upon it at an artificially accelerated level and it was not able to cope- possibly there was some scar tissue which would have given way in the normal course of things. I would strongly, strongly suggest that she needs to obtain a copy of her medical notes right now, before she is discharged from hospital, and to put in writing right now that she is unhappy with the medical attention she received and will be complaining formally once her recovery has begun. Getting the notes is important, because if this can be hushed up it probably will be.
She isn't alone by any means, unfortunately.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#10 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 08:35 AM

that's awful. yes, it sounds like medical mismanagement of what could have been a normal, healthy delivery if nature had been let to take it's course.
thank God the baby is okay. hopefully she will be able to become a mother as many more times as she wishes through adoption or even surrogacy. however this should not have happened. very sad. her body is about to go through a big shock.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#11 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 08:48 AM

i hope she will find the strength and support to get better soon and that she can also find the best lawyer to get something (although nothing can replace this loss) for this terrible mistake. I am betting it was her unlucky day to have the med establishment intervene with their 'help'. This could prob happen to anyone. hopefully the dr will learn something from the mistake. I have to agree that this didnt need to happen if things were left to nature.

** I am glad the baby and mama are okay. Let her know we are thinking of her
#12 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 01:42 PM

Oh how horrible ! Its impossible to judge the situation without being there. Having an emergency hysterectomy is unfortunately a real risk to having a baby, even though its very rare. Sometimes, regardless if the birth was cesarean or vaginal, if the bleeding cannot be stopped its either a hysterectomy or death. My thoughts are with your friend, what a shock for her.
#13 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 02:29 PM

If her labor stalled...did they give her something to augment her labor like pit?

Something is "fishy" about this story.

I suggest she get her hopital records the day after she is released from the hospital and find another Dr. for her followup

Mary
#14 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
If I can, I'd strongly suggest that you keep this link to pass to her:
http://www.a-little-wish.org.uk/
There is no apparent reason for a cervix to tear during a normal labour: I would guess that the reason the cervix tore was because contractions were forced upon it at an artificially accelerated level and it was not able to cope- possibly there was some scar tissue which would have given way in the normal course of things. I would strongly, strongly suggest that she needs to obtain a copy of her medical notes right now, before she is discharged from hospital, and to put in writing right now that she is unhappy with the medical attention she received and will be complaining formally once her recovery has begun. Getting the notes is important, because if this can be hushed up it probably will be.
She isn't alone by any means, unfortunately.
I strongly agree with this. Make sure she gets the paperwork, before it is "lost" in files and she is given the runaround trying to obtain it (as I am quite sure she WILL be). If she gets all the notes now, she won't have to deal with the added stress of it later when she is still trying to heal physically and emotionally.
Obtaining the paperwork, and filing a complaint will set the precursors for any legal action she may wish to take.
I am so sorry this happened to her. I wish her a loving and complete recovery.
#15 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 03:08 PM

I hope this post doesn't get me in trouble with any of you, because I respect you all and your suggestions very much . Does anyone ever feel like we are too quick to find some to blame? And should the first answer be to sue someone? Thats part of the reason why so many midwives and OBs (not that I usually agree with the latter) can't practice-- they can't afford their insurance. Sometimes I feel like people need to take responsibility for their own healthcare. And also realize that their are risks. I'm not saying that for this person in particular, but just in general. I wonder how much this women checked out her OB? Did she trust him or her? If she did she may not be questioning the decisions made. Just a point to ponder.
#16 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpetitte
I hope this post doesn't get me in trouble with any of you, because I respect you all and your suggestions very much . Does anyone ever feel like we are too quick to find some to blame? And should the first answer be to sue someone? Thats part of the reason why so many midwives and OBs (not that I usually agree with the latter) can't practice-- they can't afford their insurance. Sometimes I feel like people need to take responsibility for their own healthcare. And also realize that their are risks. I'm not saying that for this person in particular, but just in general. I wonder how much this women checked out her OB? Did she trust him or her? If she did she may not be questioning the decisions made. Just a point to ponder.
You bring up some good points, but in my case, it's not an issue of being quick to blame, just covering all bases before they may be needed.
I absolutely agree that you need to take a certain amount of responsibility for your own healthcare, but as a medical professional, you also have a responsibility to your patient. Sadly, there are too many instances where the care is not a partnership (as I believe it should be); either the patient feels too timid to question their care provider, or they question "too much" (in the eyes of the CP) and it then becomes a situation where the CP may become aggressive or offended at being questioned - in which case, you have every right to seek alternative care, but what about those who do not have the luxury of options (small towns with one CP, or where insurance doesn't cover other providers, etc)?
Unfortunately, in this country, it has become necessary to collect paperwork and the like "just in case", as too many can no longer afford to give their care providers the benefit of the doubt.
Not being combative here, I agree with you, but as with anything there is two sides to a story.
While sueing people in the USA is ridiculously out of control (in my opinion), practicing medicine is a choice - noone is forced into becomming a midwife or an OB. It's too bad that insurance is high for those professions, but as a paying consumer I expect to be able to trust my care provider, be supported and cared for by them, and to claim compensation if things go awry as a direct result of their mistakes (not saying that this was a mistake in this specific case, just speaking generally).
Either way, it is terrible what happened to this woman, and I still think she should collect paperwork now as her own "insurance".
#17 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 04:32 PM

I also recommend getting all of the paperwork now. And make SURE they gave it all to you--I requested my records and monitor strips from Ryland's birth. While they gave me the records within a month, it took 7 months of calling and calling and calling and calling the hospital before they finally gave me the monitor strips (because those were the damning evidence that a c-section should have been done). They will try to cover it up. They will most likely have an ethics board review as well, and if they do, you can guarantee that they'll be told to make it very difficult for your friend to get the records. So you definately want to make sure that request is made before the board meets. My records weren't released to me until after the board met and to this day I'm wondering if my records were altered based on what the board wanted to cover.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#18 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 05:11 PM

Get the paperwork, asap before the hospital 'loses' it. There is always room to have it evaluated by another care provider (preferably one who does not know the doc who did the operation) to see if malpractice is an issue
#19 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 06:15 PM

Honestly, the malpractice issue did not enter my mind, she needs to know WHAT HAPPENED AND WHY...if there was negligence...that can be addressed later on. She needs information (her records), it will take a long time to process her emotions!

Mary
#20 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 07:12 PM

I'm so sorry for your friend. That's just terrible.

I'm a little confused as to why bleeding from a cervix would be so heavy that it would lead to a complete hysterectomy. (Aside: I hate that word, it reminds me of women being labeled hystericals by Freud -- or some other evil male.)

The only thing I can THINK is a possiblity for the cervix bleeding is that the baby was descended and "banging" against the cervix when it wasn't fully dialated. But that usually only causes the cervix to swell and stop dialating.

So yeah, add me to the list of "I have no idea"s and the chorus of "get her medical records." Not to sue, necessarily, just to KNOW and hopefully help other women.

Again, I'm really sorry for your friend.
#21 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doula mary
Something is "fishy" about this story.
Yeah That!
I am so sorry for your friend mama
#22 of 37 Old 05-25-2006, 07:23 PM

Sometimes cervixes get torn, even without medical interventions. Cervical tears usually bleed a lot - if a woman is hemhorraging, and it doesn't seem to stop even with appropriate interventions, a cervical tear is always something to consider, although rare.

I am very sorry for her, and recommend she gets her records, even though it doesn't sound likely that something went wrong. It would have been nice if she could have transferred to the larger hospital, as some of the uterus-saving techniques require special equipment that many hospitals do not have.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#23 of 37 Old 05-26-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpetitte
I completely agree. People have become sue crazy (not saying that this is the case in this situation)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
#24 of 37 Old 05-27-2006, 11:18 PM

Unfortunately, I've seen many bad stories of a similar nature. I do believe that it's a disregard/disrespect to women and their reproduction. There was story in the news recently about a woman who died under similar circumstances. The now single father was suing.

Anyway, there does seem to be a fear in medical circles of hemoraging and subsequently mismanagement. A torn cervix is something that happens but rarely naturally. Rather than try to fix the problem or look further, they remove things. Of course without more details, I don't know that this is her case depending on how bad she was actually doing. However, I've read (too) many stories of this type

s to you and the mom. I agree with what others posted but would add that she get counseling asap.
#25 of 37 Old 05-28-2006, 12:02 AM

She needs to sign a release and ask for every single page in her chart from the medical records/health information department of the hospital. They don't like to give out every page, but she has a HIPAA right to the info and the worst they can do is make her pay for copies. They usually are more responsive in person than on the phone. The record should include:

dictated Operative Report
handwritten Progress Notes
Physicians Order record
dictated Pathology Report (very important--they may not have sent uterus/placenta to pathology--but they usually do if something is funky during labor)
intraoperative nurses notes (this is where you can check to see if a sample was sent to pathology)
all labs
medication record
Discharge Summary
History and Physical

I read inpatient charts every day for a living (medical coder). Sometimes the doctors use language that obscures the fact that they lacerated some tissue during an operation. If your friends cannot decipher the report, I would be happy to help.

I have read literally THOUSANDS of vaginal delivery and cesarean section reports for 5 major hospitals. I have never seen a hysterectomy due to a complication of labor. It's definitely a stated risk, but not one that commonly occurs. I have seen one slightly similar case, but she did not have a hysterectomy and the cervix was lacerated by the surgeon, not during labor.

Even if she doesn't sue, it can take a lot of information to be able to wrap your brain around traumatic events. Sometimes it helps to read the medical information yourself.

So sorry to hear about your friend's situation!! I hope she finds lots of comfort in her new baby.

--Adrienne
#26 of 37 Old 05-28-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStreetMama
The record should include:

dictated Operative Report
handwritten Progress Notes
Physicians Order record
dictated Pathology Report (very important--they may not have sent uterus/placenta to pathology--but they usually do if something is funky during labor)
intraoperative nurses notes (this is where you can check to see if a sample was sent to pathology)
all labs
medication record
Discharge Summary
History and Physical
Adrienne's right on. I would add to request the Nurses' Notes and any Consultant's Notes as well.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#27 of 37 Old 05-28-2006, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well, to those who think that there is somehow a lawsuit involved in this, I feel differently.

hysterectomy is a risk with surgical birth. It just is. It's a risk with any birth, but the risk increases with cesarean birth.

A jury does not see "unnecessary cesareans". A jury sees that the cesarean is the safest route possible for birth. A hysterectomy is just a known risk of this route.

In the famous words of an obstetrician I once heard, "The only cesarean I've ever been sued for is the one I didn't do."

It's why the goal of HIGHER cesarean rates is present.

It's horrifically sad, but it's not necessarily something that is going to be looked at with much financial obligation by a court of law.

Also, I agree that there is somethings missing in this story.

I've had a client's cervix (the lower segment of the uterus, you know) tear beyond a cesarean incision because the baby was difficult to get out of the mid-pelvis.
#28 of 37 Old 05-29-2006, 07:42 PM

Sometimes stuff just happens. I would love to see the operative report....So sorry for your friend....please let us know how it all turns out.
#29 of 37 Old 05-29-2006, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your kind words and advice.

My friend is finding much comfort and joy in her sweet little baby. They seem to be at peace with everything.

I am not sure if anything is fishy or not. I can see both ways. If they are happy and ok with it, so am I. We will be there for her in the aftermath and watch carefully for the PPD.

Thank you all again!

G
#30 of 37 Old 07-11-2006, 04:15 PM

Hi

This is anna from a little wish.

Unfortunatley post pregnancy hysterectomy is obscenely high especailly in the UK and America. There are MANY ways to save uteri however doctors CHOOSE NOT to learn them / use them.

We do not doubt that OCCASSIONALLY a post pregnancy hysterectomy is a necessity as a 'life saving' procedure however NOT on a scale that it is undertaken.

There is also no justification for imposing one without infomed consent considering how many months people know they are expectant mothers and for them to make a choice for them SHOULD it become an issue.

More accounts and questionnaires and information is on our original site at www2.a-little-wish.co.uk. Yes please forward ALW's our details to the 1000's that this is done to (secretively and quietly) every year. A newsletter is available to assist with information and to hopefully reduce our being shunned, is also now available

A post pregnancy hysterectomy is FOREVER not just for the 'six weeks recovery'. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page