I get headaches from drinking too much water - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-07-2006, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed this during my first two pregnancies, but didn't really pay attention -- figured there must something else going on.

But this time around, I know it for a fact. I have experimented. Normally drinking to thirst while pregnant, I drink no more than 2 cups sipping throughout the morning, no more than 2 cups in the afternoon, and then before bed I get pretty thirsty and drink 2 cups at once.

I'm only thirsty when I first wake up and about an hour after eating, and then before bed. I usually drink about a 1/4 cup at a time. I've never had issues with dehydration or high blood pressure while pg.

So this time around I have experimented with consciously drinking more -- drinking up to 12 cups as I have heard is suggested for pregnancy, and this results in a bad headache starting in the evening and lasting through the night. A couple days ago I felt some minor twinges while urinating and made sure to drink lots of water just in case a UTI was in the works, and i had a horrid headache all night long and even ended up taking ibuprofen at 4 in the morning.

I drink more water when I'm not pregnant! I have casually mentioned this to my midwife but it just kinda gets blown off as "that can't be", but now I know for sure that drinking lots of water gives me a headache. It makes me wonder if I'm really toxic or something. Any ideas on what's going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 AM

I know, me too. Try adding some Emergen-C or a bit of Gatorade to your water for a glass or two and see if that helps keep your electrolytes level.

My providers thought I was nuts too, but it happens.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#3 of 6 Old 06-08-2006, 12:59 AM

i had this same problem, but not during pregnancy. they were VERY intense, : and my chiropracter/applied kinesiologist said that is from toxins leaving my body and to keep drinking the water. my headache lasted for about a day or two, but was gone by the second or third day.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#4 of 6 Old 06-08-2006, 08:23 PM

I can't drink much of my tap water unless it's filtered first - or else I get horribly sick to my stomach.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#5 of 6 Old 06-09-2006, 01:31 AM

First, Tylenol is the only OTC pain med that is safe in pregnancy. NSAIDs like Motrin (Ibuprofen) and Aleve (Naproxen) later in pregnancy it can cause premature closure of the ductus leading out of the heart. The DA isn't supposed to close until after birth.

Second, there is NO medical basis for drinking more water than your thirst dictates. Drinking large amounts of water over a short period of time can actually cause hyponatremia (decreased sodium in the blood) and some really nasty headaches. The other term for it is water intoxication. If you feel the need to drink water to clean out toxins, definitely add something with a few electrolytes like Energix-C.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#6 of 6 Old 06-09-2006, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna go the natural electrolyte route -- adding honey and salt to my drinking water occasionally.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page