Help - Took Black Cohosh - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long story short...I am 22 weeks pregnant and my world has fallen apart right now. I want this child, but with a lot of thought I have come to a realization that right now my family may be better off if I abort this pregnancy.

So, I found the black cohosh that I had from trying to induce labor with my second child, and drank what was left in it...about 1/2 the tincture.

What are the potential harmful side effects, or will these even do anything to help end a pregnancy?

My decisions has just cause a whole lot more stress in my life, as I didn't consult my husband (he wasn't available at the time I came to the realization).
#2 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 06:40 PM

22 weeks is too far along for an herbal abortion.

Long story short, you need to go see someone (yeah, probably a doctor) before you turn 24 weeks and get this pregnancy aborted if that;'s what you wish.

Now if you had said you were 4 weeks, then I'd be more than happy to help you. But it's far too dangerous and risky at this point. At this stage in your pregnancy, you risk poisoning the fetus and/or yourself. If you continue to persue this, you run the very real risk of having the fetus die inside of you, and end up needing to be induced so that you can give birth to a dead, decomposing fetus. You risk a resulting infection because of this. You risk ruining the fetus's kidneys, liver, heart, brain, etc, but not enough to kill it (if this didn't happen already). You therefore risk giving birth to a severely handicapped, sick, quite possibly preterm, but living baby.

No, I'm not trying to scare you. But I feel that it's my responsibility to be real here. This isn't going to be a "drink some tincture, pass the products of conception into the toilet". This is serious.

Now, I am very pro-choice. I feel responsible to point out that one of those choices, since you are 22 weeks, is to hang in there for another 4 weeks or maybe more. 22 weeks is so close to viability..... You could give the baby up for adoption. It's just one option you have.

Either way, please figure out what you want to do ASAP. You need medical advice, and perhaps psychological counseling, and no one here can give that to you.

Best Wishes,
Kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#3 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 07:14 PM

Oh Honey...

Kelly said what I was thinking...

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#4 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 07:18 PM

please please please consider talking with a therapist or a family counselor right now.

it sounds like your situation is very overwhelming to you right now and that you need some clarity. making hasty choices about life-changing events never seems to be a good idea for me, and i find i need to sit with the idea of a decision for a day or three before committing to it.

please know that my thoughts are with you...

~claudia
#5 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat
Long story short...I am 22 weeks pregnant and my world has fallen apart right now. I want this child, but with a lot of thought I have come to a realization that right now my family may be better off if I abort this pregnancy.

So, I found the black cohosh that I had from trying to induce labor with my second child, and drank what was left in it...about 1/2 the tincture.

What are the potential harmful side effects, or will these even do anything to help end a pregnancy?

My decisions has just cause a whole lot more stress in my life, as I didn't consult my husband (he wasn't available at the time I came to the realization).
It sounds like you got overwhelmed and had a bit of a panic. I think you'll discover that things will get better and you can get through this : From your post it sounds like your husband is not on board with you getting rid of the baby and I doubt you really want to either based on the timing and rashness of the decision. As you know the baby is very close to being viable and I imagine losing a child right now would not be helpful to your state of mind. The good news is that what you did will probably do nothing.

I hope you'll consider talking to someone about the cause of your stress and looking for support for whatever it is that has sent you into a tailspin. If you want to talk more about it we are here to listen.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#6 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 PM

Poor darlin', I am sorry for all you must be feeling right now... I am a mother of 3, a doula and childbirth educator, and have been an herbalist for 13 years. Herbally induced abortions are definately best if they are done early early. 22 weeks is second trimester. Even if you had a natural miscarriage at this point (which is what herb induced aboritons are like) you would have to go to a hospital due to the risk of retained placenta, which is much more common with 2nd tri miscarriage. There can also be a fair blood loss, which may need attention (I have attended women for 2nd tri miscarriage, it is sometimes physically very tough).

I too share the concern of other posters here about you not discussing this with your partner... I agree as well that you need all kinds of support right now, counselling and medical advice so that you can get through this safely and feeling like you did what you truly want to do. Prayers, love and strength for you, please take care of yourself and get the help that you need. This is not for any woman to handle alone.
#7 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 08:29 PM

Please discuss this with your husband, and seek wise counsel as everyone else here has also recommended.

I do not believe that even an entire bottle of black cohosh alone will cause any permanent dammage to your body or your pregnancy. Stomach discomfort, nausea, vomiting and dizziness may occur but I believe you would have experienced that already, if you were going to. The reality is that your body does not see the pregnancy as a danger to your health and will not release it easily (naturally with herbs, etc) at this point.

Black cohosh was used at one time to treat joint pain, and it does contain salicylates, which are similar to the compounds in aspirin—but in amounts too small to have a therapeutic effect. Asprin is a blood thinner, so you may have thinned your blood to a small degree but probably no moreso than if you had taken a couple of asprin.

I understand that this pregnancy is not convenient, but as an inconvenient child myself, I pray that you also consider that abortion is not the only option in regard to not bringing another child into your family right now.

Talk with your husband, together you'll be able to come to the right decision for your family.
#8 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree that the tincture will likely not do anything - or bring any harm - to your pregnancy or baby.

However, I would advise talking to your partner, a good friend, a trusted physician, or counselor ASAP.

#9 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 09:33 PM

Have you thought of maybe having the baby and just placing it up for adoption?

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#10 of 13 Old 06-10-2006, 12:09 AM

OH MELISSA!

I'd highly suggest you call poison control, go to a hospital, whatever it takes, because this could be so damaging to BOTH you and the baby. I do not know as much about herbal stuff as some of the mw's before me, so maybe it's not THAT damaging, but it potentially could be.

Melissa, I know how much you love your boys and your dh. Please talk to him, and I really hope you can work out this situation. Hugs. -E
#11 of 13 Old 06-10-2006, 12:10 AM

Oh geez melissa!

Sweetie, inducing an at-home abortion at 22 weeks is asking for serious medical problems. You can bleed to death...no joke!

Please, please, please, consult a doctor before you do anything else. I'll be praying for you.

~Josie1104
#12 of 13 Old 08-13-2007, 02:58 AM
Banned

Black cohosh (Cimicifuga Racemosa ) is a large, flowering plant that grows in the forests east of the Mississippi.It is an effective treatment for PMS, menstrual cramps, and various menopause-related complaints, including hot flashes and vaginal dryness.
Most studies have shown that black cohosh reduces symptoms much like low-dose estrogen does, while a few studies show it does not. This may be because different preparations were used in the studies, or that, like many treatments, some women may benefit from it more than others. In most studies, black cohosh was shown to decrease hot flashes, profuse sweating, mood swings, irritability, depressive mood, heart palpitations, sleep problems, headache, and vertigo related to perimenopause.
Black cohosh shouldn’t be used during pregnancy or breast-feeding or if there is any chance that you might be pregnant. Black cohosh should not be combined with birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy, or tamoxifen. It should not be used by women who are allergic to aspirin. Black cohosh often is recommended as a substitute for HRT among women who cannot take synthetic estrogens or those who prefer to avoid them.
#13 of 13 Old 08-13-2007, 10:56 AM

This is a really old thread; what exactly is the purpose of resurrecting it? Let it go.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page