polyhydramnios - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-12-2003, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am an aspiring doula and will be attending my first birth this month. My woman's due date is just two weeks away, so really it could happen any time. My concern is that just last week she was diagnosed with polyhydramnios. She is really scared now of chord prolapse and other complications that can arise from the situation. I too am very concerned, this being my first birth and all! I'm wondering if there are any last minute things that can be done to bring her waters back into balance. I was told a holistic diet and lots of water can help, but i don't see her completely revamping her diet this late in the game. Although I've made dietary suggestions along the way, she continues to eat lots of processed, fast foods, very few fresh veggies or whole grains, lots of sugar and soda pop. Any suggestions or stories relating to this situation would be appreciated.

joy.gifjoy.giftwo great kids angel.gif x 6.  partners.gif happily married.cat.gifcat.gif

treehugger.gifnamaste.giftoddler.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifdiaper.gifvbac.gif

#2 of 4 Old 03-12-2003, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This late in the game there is probably nothing to worry. I had this with two children. Both were just fine aalthough the first was born 6 weeks early. if they are just now diagnosing it it must not be too bad. The biggest concernt hey had for me both times was preterm labor. Both of them did come early (34 weeks and 37 weeks)

Hands and knees is a good position to labor in

I have heard several things that can help reduce it but for all I know wives tales. No sugar, no MSG, no salt. BUt even if these work they probably won't help so close to the end.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 4 Old 05-02-2003, 10:57 PM

I know this post is older now, but I thought I'd add my 2 bits.

With my 3rd child, I had an ultrasound at about 18 weeks and was diagnosed with polyhydriamnios. They told me there is some risks involved with the condition, I can't remember all the details. They never told me there was anything that could change it. They monitored me through out with several other ultrasounds. The OB was concerned, but my gp had researched for me and told me that the chances were slim, gave me literature, etc. And that the OB is doing the ultrasounds to cover her butt, so to speak, to prevent any malpractice should something occur.

Long story short, I birthed a 9lb 2 oz baby girl. She had no problems during delivery, and she is now 4 yo, very healthy.

I hope everything is fine for this client of yours.
#4 of 4 Old 05-03-2003, 08:56 PM

An U/S scan can cause polyhydramnios.

I never had a scan, but I did have mild polyhydramnios with #2 and #4, and all I had was extra weight to lose. Babies and labor were fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page