homebirth midwife in cinncinnatti, OH - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-29-2006, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of (or was) a homebirth midwife in cinncinnatti, OH.
My best friend from HS is pregnant with her first, and doesn't want to go to the hospital.
I'm helping her look into midwives in her area.
She's on medicaid but my understanding is that midwives in OH aren't reimbersed by medicaid. So my other question is how much out of pocket would my friend have to pay.
Please feel free to PM me....
Thanks so much

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-29-2006, 12:24 PM

Have your friend contact Ohio Friends of Midwives or some of the local doulas or CBEs. The political climate is such that you're not going to get contact info on a public message board.

As far as cost, no, DEMs aren't reimbursed in OH. OH tends to be much less expensive than other states, but she's still going to have to pay, and whatever she can work out is probably going to pinch her budget a bit (or a lot, as it does mine.)

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#3 of 6 Old 06-29-2006, 06:09 PM

The cost really depends on who you hire, around $2000( + or - $500) seems about the average.

There's a yahoogroup called CincinnatiHomebirth that she should be able to get contact info from. Where is she in the city?
#4 of 6 Old 06-29-2006, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure exactly where she is in the city, I'm in florida.... I'm sending her the info that you all have given me, Hopefully she finds someone who will help her out.
Thanks so much

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
#5 of 6 Old 06-29-2006, 06:50 PM

Do a google search for Dar a luz network in Dayton, Ohio.

If she contacts one or two of the people under the contacts section, they know of a Midwife in the area down there.

They used to have a Great Midwife practice with a free standing birth center, until non of the OB's down there would back them. I think they also did homebirths.

I think the person I was told about in the Cinci area was around $2800.

Another good resource would be to contact her Local Bradley Childbirth Method Instructors in the Cincinnati area. They would know of or where to find information on homebirth Midwifes in the area.

She might be able to get a less expensive Midwife, if one of the ones in the Dayton area are willing to travel. Most of them are fairly reasonable rates/prices (Trust me, been looking and talking to one of them), but I am not sure if they are willing to travel down that way or not.

If your friend is interested, I think I have book marked the old Midwife group that practiced down there, and they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Melissa S.
#6 of 6 Old 09-03-2006, 07:24 PM

There is a great midwife working in the Cincinnati area but her price is $2600. The Cincinnati Homebirth Yahoo group is the best place to get her contact information. I don't know if she has a sliding scale for Medicaid moms. But she does have a few apprentices she is training. I don't know the "rules" but maybe one of them could help your friend. Also check out cincinnatihomebirth.com. It's the website of a new midwife just starting out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page