Anterior placenta - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-26-2006, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I asked this on someone else's thread (I didnt mean to hi-jack ), but only got one response.....so I want to ask here as well.

I had an anterior placenta (not low lying or anything like that) with my first pregnancy. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, my long labor turned into a c-section.

I plan on having a VBAC next time around (already spoke to my Ob and she said she had no concerns with that at all). BUT......I was reading another thread about anterior placentas and read that someone said anterior placenta's may happen again with subsequent pregnancies....which could lead to other problems like the placenta attaching to the scar and so forth (placent accreta (sp?)) Is this true? Would it be likely that my placent would be anterior again? Would this be a cause for concern when attempting a vbac? Any info, Im now officially concerned
#2 of 11 Old 07-26-2006, 11:58 PM
CEG

Well, this may not help but I had a posterior placenta with my first and an anterior one with my second- so it's definitely true you can change that way I also had a posterior baby with no problems for my second so maybe that will ease your mind.

Having a c-section does increase your risk of placenta accreta but I don't think the placenta being anterior has any increased risks with accreta.

Best wishes!
#3 of 11 Old 07-27-2006, 05:30 PM

placentas will implant wherever the endometrium is richest. You cannot influence where this will be.

If it were me I would focus on what I *CAN* control such as: healing physically, spiritually and mentally from the unexpected section. Parenting to the best of my ability the child I do have (because none of us are promised even a single day, each is a gift), Priming my body and soul for the next pregnancy,should it occur, and finding out the medical reasons for the sectionsand what led up to it. Finding any ways I could to influence my chances for the VBAC I need. (Support from a doula, a HB midwife experienced in successful VBAC, an educator experienced in helping VBAC moms get their head in the right place, girlfriends willing to listen and support without opinion, Getting DP ready to accept my choices and re-learn how to trust)

Wishing you all the best on your healing,

Carrie

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#4 of 11 Old 07-27-2006, 05:43 PM

Disclaimer: I'm not a midwife or medical person. I had an anterior with my first, and had a un-medicated (except for induction with pitocin due to Pre-E ) vaginal birth.

I am now expecting #2, and once again have an anterior placenta and its also low-lying now (but no previa). As far as I have been told by my midwife, none of these things are a problem, just part of the natural variation one sees person to person. I will be getting a second ultrasound at around 30weeks to ensure placenta is still far enough away from cervix to not be an issue.
#5 of 11 Old 07-28-2006, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. With my first pregnancy the placenta actually was initially low lying.....BUT it moved up as my pregnancy progressed and by 20 some odd weeks it was no longer a concern to anyone.
#6 of 11 Old 07-31-2006, 03:33 PM

Is it true that anterior placenta tends to lead to OP baby?
#7 of 11 Old 07-31-2006, 08:23 PM

I think anterior placentas may lead to OP babies in first-time moms, though it's not a given. Surely if your placenta was on the right, it may help baby stay LOA (the "preferred" position to avoid posterior labors).

With regards to VBACs, often an anterior placenta is higher than the scar. I like to do an u/s to rule out a placenta covering the scar, but you can use a doppler or fetoscope to do this, too.
#8 of 11 Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife
I think anterior placentas may lead to OP babies in first-time moms, though it's not a given. Surely if your placenta was on the right, it may help baby stay LOA (the "preferred" position to avoid posterior labors).

With regards to VBACs, often an anterior placenta is higher than the scar. I like to do an u/s to rule out a placenta covering the scar, but you can use a doppler or fetoscope to do this, too.
Thanks, My c-sec was my first pregnancy and my dd was posterior (go figure). Anyway, thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#9 of 11 Old 08-01-2006, 06:09 AM

During a scan the placenta placement is checked. Just ask exactly where it is.
#10 of 11 Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 PM

I had an anterior placenta and my baby ended up being posterior.
#11 of 11 Old 08-04-2006, 01:05 AM

They say that the baby likes to face the placenta. So an anterior placenta is more likely to have a posterior baby.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page