7 months - no prenatal care - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-29-2006, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am due in mid Oct, so I am about 7 months pregnant. I have had no prenatal care. I am looking for a midwife for a homebirth. Is the fact that I have had no prenatal care a problem? TIA,
Maria

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#2 of 11 Old 07-29-2006, 02:18 AM

*not a mw*

I imagine it depends on the mw herself AND the reasons you decided not to seek out any prenatal care.

best wishes,
Carrie

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#3 of 11 Old 07-29-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5
*not a mw*

I imagine it depends on the mw herself AND the reasons you decided not to seek out any prenatal care.

best wishes,
Carrie
:

For a good midwife, it shouldn't be a "problem", although she may want to do more in the way of gathering a baseline on you, and I hope she'd want to understand your reasons why you haven't had prenatal care yet (not all reasons are equal, or at least they're not treated the same way - socioeconomic inability to seek prenatal care is MUCH different than high birth/body trust and not feeling the need for it, and suggests different courses of action from here).

If a midwife tries to tell you this makes you "high risk", run the other way. Seriously.
#4 of 11 Old 07-29-2006, 11:58 AM

I doubt it will be aproblem. Good luck to you!!

Namaste, Tara
#5 of 11 Old 07-29-2006, 12:01 PM

i know my midwife would take you, and just try to quickly develop a close relationship with you..the whole point of midwife visits is not so much the care...oh yes, they do the fundal height, blood pressure, etc. But a ton of it is developing a relationship and friendship...getting a feel for you.

That inner sense during labor and birth is what helps a midwife...if they know you really well, they can *read* you.

Am I rambling?? BUt yes, my midwife would take you probably. And as long as you had not engaged in dangerous activity..street drugs, etc. I should think it would be fine.
#6 of 11 Old 07-29-2006, 12:21 PM

Off topic:
Have you had no prenatal care whatsoever, or no prenatal care by a professional? I'd consider things like eating more healthily, being careful of the medications you take, and noticing that your baby is moving around, to be part of prenatal care. Stuff like carefully monitoring your weight and testing urine protein and stuff is also part of prenatal care but isn't that important.
#7 of 11 Old 07-29-2006, 05:39 PM

I personally wouldn't have a problem with taking you as a client. I would ask why you had no care, though. If you were doing "self-care" and have had a few babies and didn't see the need, I have no problem with that. If fact, many of the amish/mennonite don't seek care during their later pregnancies until 6 months or later. Doesn't affect outcome!

Good luck!
#8 of 11 Old 07-29-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuansprincess
I am due in mid Oct, so I am about 7 months pregnant. I have had no prenatal care. I am looking for a midwife for a homebirth. Is the fact that I have had no prenatal care a problem? TIA,
Maria
Sure you have had prenatal care.....you are eating well and loving your baby! I think the most important prenatal care is what the mother does herself! Like someone else here said, the majority of what we do during prenatal care is just connect with the mom so that she will feel comfortable with us attending her during birth.

As an apprenticing midwife, I would have no problem taking you on as a client!

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#9 of 11 Old 07-29-2006, 10:40 PM

In some areas, no prenatal care by 36 weeks makes you high risk, according to the state practice guidelines.

It could be a problem, it really depends.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#10 of 11 Old 07-29-2006, 11:01 PM

I agree that if you are conscientious and knowledgeable about nutrition, exercise, avoidance of harmful substances, good vibe about you, etc then you have had prenatal care.. but I know a midwife would want to do some 'catching up' with you perhaps, to make up for time she would have otherwise had with you throughout the pregnancy. It is a relationship/intuition thing much more than doing a battery of tests, etc (which is how an OB office would react, tag you as risk likely, be very nervous about what they "don't know" about you, having "no numbers" on you, etc). Yes the reason you have not sought outside prenatal care is significant, but does not mean you can't start working with a midwife who is comfortable seeing you and vice versa. I myself switched to a lay midwife from an OB's care at 7 months with my 2nd child, never regretted that... The MW saw me for a few extra/more frequent appointments to make up for lost time, but we clicked well from the beginning, she was great, and so was the birth. Good luck to you
#11 of 11 Old 08-01-2006, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much everyone. I have had a lot of raised eyebrows and concerned (you're not taking care of your baby!!) looks. And a few from midwives. I was starting to get worried. Thanks so much!

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page