Safety of midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone get me a good article or good research showing the safety of midwives (for hospital birth)... and the advantages....

I have a student trying to convince her husband that a midwife is their best choice. He is new to all this and just assumes that drs. are better....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 05:10 PM

Rather than trying to dazzle him with research, maybe this is a good opportunity for them to discuss whose body is involved in giving birth.
#3 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

I think research and an appeal to logic would be better than starting a confrontation to begin with, don't you? He wants what's best for his wife and child, just doesn't know what that is yet.... I'd rather educate than anger.... you know?
#4 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 05:31 PM

I don't have anything off the top of my head, but a google will turn up tons. Try homebirth and midwives, or midwifery care or something like that. I know there's lots of research out there, I have read most of it, probably should be keeping a folder on my computer, I guess.
#5 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 PM

It doesn't have to be a confrontation, just a discussion. I think it's a discussion worth having, as he is making a lot of assumptions that are unhelpful--including the assumption that he is entitled to hand down opinions on the subject without researching even a word.
#6 of 16 Old 08-01-2006, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I think we all have assumptions in life they may be unhelpful. My couple is taking a Bradley class with me to help them learn about their options and how to have a fantastic empowered and safe birth. I think it would be detrimental to all relationships at hand to start this learning process with this kind of exchange. He genuinely wants what's best for his family- that's why he's taking my class. She has a loving relationship with him which is why they are having a child and taking my class. I think that giving him information to show him that this is a positive and safe choice and let him realize that would be more effective for the both of them in the long run- don't you? I don't think that when you are in a good, healthy relationship- that it's as simple as just saying- "it's me having the baby so hush up". It's a matter of respecting eachother's concerns and fears and coming to decisions that you are all happy with.

I would agree with you that we should have a discussion on this matter if after giving him the facts-- he still felt this way irrationally and this was an issue of contention between them.
#7 of 16 Old 08-01-2006, 12:33 PM

Hi! I just want to chime in and agree that she should try to alleviate his fears and present him with cold, hard facts. It will make for a much better birthing environment. If he insists that no matter what the research says, he wants to birth in the hospital anyways to make him more comfortable, then she can give the ultimatum

I don't have any specific links, but if you google NAPSAC, they have a great pamphlet on homebirth. It is a good start and an easy read. Good luck on your search and to your client!

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#8 of 16 Old 08-01-2006, 01:37 PM

http://www.lamaze.org/institute/flaw...irthsafety.asp
here's a good one by Henci Goer author of The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
#9 of 16 Old 08-01-2006, 01:55 PM

www.texasmidwives.com has a link to the CPM 2000 study, which shows the reduction in episitomy, c-section, etc. that is linked with having a homebirth with a CPM. I'm assuming since they're in Bradley classes, they hope to avoid all of those unnecessary procedures and are coming from the perspective that a natural birth is safest for mom and baby. I'd follow that up with research that shows that the easiest way to avoid those interventions is to stay away from the providers that administer them routinely. The CPM 2000 study shows that.

And yes, when men obstinately refuse to heed the research that shows homebirth is safe, if not SAFER, that's the time for the "it's my body" discussion. I've found that reasonable men are open to research and it tends to alleviate their fears.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#10 of 16 Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 PM

Ina May Gaskin's latest book has lots of research and studies in it.

Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth I think is the name.
#11 of 16 Old 08-01-2006, 02:09 PM

#12 of 16 Old 08-01-2006, 03:01 PM

I have actually written a couple of research papers on the safety of midwives for college classes. One of them was a direct comparison of OB's and midwives, complete with the sources listed. Perhaps some of these will help you.

I have a copy of it on my website...
http://bis.midco.net/wowen/midwife%20report.pdf

Overall, I think the best approach is to slip facts into conversation, rather than make a direct confrontation. Also, give your student the facts to present to her husband. I agree, most people just don't have all the information to make an informed choice. "Knowledge is the best weapon."
#13 of 16 Old 08-01-2006, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How about The Thinking Woman's Guide to A Better Birth? I think that's it. Just tell her to educate herself and share the info with her dh. My dh was the same 7 years ago when I was pregnant with our son. I already knew in my heart I wasn't going to have our baby in a hospital, unless it was medically necessary and was seeking alternatives. I found a birthing center and immediately felt at home with the staff and midwives. My next step was to convince dh this was the place to go. He was hesitant but agreed to attend their center orientation/q&a session/tour. When he saw how prepared the midwives were for emergencies he supported my decision to birth there. He has never regreted it and always said, going to the birthing center really made him feel like he was a part of everything. It helped that he always hated hospitals from the get go too.

Good luck and HTH,
#14 of 16 Old 08-02-2006, 09:54 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/paren...dex/index.html

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#15 of 16 Old 08-02-2006, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#16 of 16 Old 08-03-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Great resources! I ended up giving them a couple articles and Henci Goer's book as well as Gentle Birth Choices- with chapter's marked.

Now, I 'm just concerned with her choice of midwife (medwife). Telling her not to gain more than 25 pounds... UGH.

He seemed very receptive. I have a feeling they will end up with a different caregiver alltogether... different midwife.

Thanks for the help!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page