*PLEASE* I really need some Blessingway Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My best friend is 38 weeks with #3 and we are having a Blessingway for her on Saturday. I have only been to one other Blessingway and it was hers with her last baby. I had planned on finding/coming up with something wonderful to say/read BUT I am 10 weeks pregnant with #5 and just haven't had the energy plus I have been really sick.

I am making some wonderful food to share with everyone, picked up some lovely beads for her birthing necklace and bought some non-toxic tempered paint today in case she would like her belly painted but would really like to read something to her during the Blessingway. We are quite close, have children close in age, we are both homebirthing/AP Mamas and draw a lot of support from each other.

Any suggestions for poems/readings would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks bunches!

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 PM

My body knows what it's doing.
I won't be pregnant forever.
My uterus will not expire.
My baby will be born on it's birthday, not it's due date.
My baby is safe inside me.
I trust my body completely.

Above are some affirmations... if you are creative you could do something cool with them... these sites below are good.

http://www.classbrain.com/artholiday...hers_who.shtml
http://www.poemsforfree.com/pregpo.html
http://www.mothering.com/sections/poems/poems.html

hh2.gif

Old 08-24-2006, 11:09 PM

Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 PM

I have organized a few Baby Welcoming/Birthing Ceremonies for a few different friends of mine, and one of the really nice things that I always try to do is go around in a circle and have everyone talk about their connection to the birthing mother and the new baby. Either how they met, memories they've shared, or hopes they might have for the future. It is nice because people get a chance to share what is in their minds and hearts about welcoming a new being into the community/family, and you don't need to do much to prepare for it beforehand. Sometimes when doing this, we will offer an image ( a mental one, or a physical brought item) to share with the birthing mama that will give her strength on the birth journey. This is the part where we do lots of crying and hugging, and I(we) often try to provide paper so the other women can write down their sentiments for the birthing mama to read and reflect on later.

For instance, at a birthing ceremony I recently organized, my friend brought sprigs from her babies' placenta trees, I shared a stone carving of a woman with a heart which to me represented the idea that women are strong, another friend brought an egg, another friend brought the suggestion of yelling/singing/making noise, that it is sometimes great to let labor roar through you....

And then we finish with a nice potluck and do a dinner sign up to be brought to the mama after the baby comes.

Hope this was somewhat helpful. I don't really have any specific readings to share, but have found that going around the circle is just so amazing, to hear the outpouring of love. Can you tell I love this stuff?

And also, may I say what a great friend you are doing this in your first trimester? I'm not sure I could have managed it.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a document of birth affirmations that a friend emailed me. If you are interested pm me and I'll email it to you.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:55 PM

I don't have it handy, but I googled readings and such and found a great poem by the Quaker religion in regards to birth and pregnancy. I used it to make little tags to hand out to everyone attached to sage candles. Then when I went into labor, everyone was to light their candle and say their prayer for me. Cool idea, huh?
Old 08-25-2006, 04:57 PM

Readings and poems can be powerful but so is speaking from the heart.

An idea . . . I been to several blessingways where we all pass a red thread, wind it around our wrist as we speak our prayers to the the honored mama. The words are sometimes advice, good wishes, funny, spiritual but they all come from the heart and wrap mama/baby is such great energy (yes, someone usually cries all those hormones!) When we are all bound by the thread and our words, the honored mama cuts the thread connecting everyone. Then we wear the thread as a reminder to hold mama/babe in our thoughts and take it off after the safe arrival of the babe (sometimes we wear it for a few days, sometimes weeks!)
Old 08-25-2006, 05:43 PM

Lovely Ideas here..
HI KERI!!!

I suggest foot washing.. I am not sure if that's in the plan.. It's kind of a "religious" symbol for some, but can be very nice for an expecting mamma too..

Hugs
Karen
Old 08-25-2006, 09:44 PM

There is a book dedicated to this subject called Blessingways, sorry I can't recall the author right now, but it is a beautiful book worth seeking out.

User Tag List