doula info packets for new clients - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-20-2006, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm putting together an information packet to give to new/potential clients at our first interview meeting. Does anyone else do this for their clients? My midwife gave me the BEST packet of information and articles, and I treasure it. It actually morphed into my pregnancy and birth keepsake book! So that's my inspiration. Here's what I'm thinking of including in my packet:

1. My business card and contact information
2. Service agreement and payment contract
3. Pamphlet from the local birth group (includes list of birth and PP doulas, midwives, CBEs, chiropractors and massage therapists)
4. List of local LLL groups
5. List of some positive affirmations for labor
6. Short overview of common medical interventions, with a what-you-get and what-you-give-up slant
7. List of books, web sites and other resources

What to you think? Too much? Should I add anything else? Is this totally a lame-o idea?

Feedback, please!
#2 of 11 Old 09-20-2006, 05:53 PM

I think its a great idea! My mw gave me one too and I still refer to it. I am coming up with something like this as well its pretty much the same things.
~Angela~

Maybe a sample birth plan and some info on what a doula is and some statistics supporting the outcomes of having a doula vs going it alone.
#3 of 11 Old 09-20-2006, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup, I do the same thing. I include a section from Henci Goer's "Thinking Womans Guide..."; some articles from Mothering on the hormones involved in birth, and epidurals; a couple of parts of chapters from my hypnobirthing book that perfectly describe what muscles are doing and when, so they understand what they are DOING when they're in labor; and a few other things on top of the business end paperwork.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#4 of 11 Old 09-20-2006, 06:49 PM

Wow... everyone's packet is way more thorough than I was picturing. All this just at the interveiw, before you're hired?

Brooke: a glass~blowin' hand~drummin' tree~huggin' home~birthin' earth~lovin' goddess~mama of 3!
#5 of 11 Old 09-20-2006, 08:26 PM

I have an information binder that I give to clients (to borrow) after they have hired me. It has some of that type of info and more.

Saves me money and time making copies.
#6 of 11 Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyArmpits View Post
Wow... everyone's packet is way more thorough than I was picturing. All this just at the interveiw, before you're hired?
I DO want them to see the paperwork, as it tells them a little bit more about what kind of doula I am. Generally, I have gotten hired either before I meet them face to face, or on our first face to face meeting, so it hasn't been an issue of asking for it back or "losing" a packet to people who didn't hire me...and really, I feel so strongly about the information in there, that I'd rather they read it whether I'm hired by them or not, and if the potential is that they'll read it 'cause it's in their possession, then so be it.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#7 of 11 Old 09-21-2006, 12:38 PM

I would maybe add information on Dr. Brewers diet for pregnancy to prevent preeclampsia. www.blueribbonbaby.com And then maybe something about local childbirth education classes, yoga classes, etc.? You can keep adding to it at every prenatal appointment that you have with them, so you don't have everything in there right away. Plus, a relaxation exercise or visualization to go with your positive birth affirmations?

Jessica Siczkowycz

Student CPM with Birthspirit Holistic Midwifery Services

Labor Doula

Certified Placenta Encapsulator

Mommy to four amazing kiddos, married to the best husband ever

#8 of 11 Old 09-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

subbing
#9 of 11 Old 09-21-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiplemomma78 View Post
I would maybe add information on Dr. Brewers diet for pregnancy to prevent preeclampsia. www.blueribbonbaby.com And then maybe something about local childbirth education classes, yoga classes, etc.? You can keep adding to it at every prenatal appointment that you have with them, so you don't have everything in there right away. Plus, a relaxation exercise or visualization to go with your positive birth affirmations?
Yup, those are actually my few other things...'cept I dont put the info about the childbirth ed class in the packet, I put it in their hands, as I want to be very sure that they do something about it if they haven't already.

#10 of 11 Old 09-22-2006, 03:38 PM

Maybe it's a little different b/c I'm a midwife and I see people longer and more often that doulas do, but I've found that I like to give things as they become appropriate, rather than all at once. I do give them a folder at the beginning of the pregnancy (or at their consult) with all of my initial paperwork in it, and I advise them to bring their folder to keep track of the things they'll be getting from me, but I feel like they are more likely to read and use the information if they get it in smaller pieces.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#11 of 11 Old 09-23-2006, 09:36 AM

I also give an info packet at the interview. I feel like the info I give is important for every pregnant mama to have, whether or not they hire me. I include:

My contract, business card, and brochure
LLL schedule
affirmations
labor position sheet from Penny Simkin
article on vertical birth (not always)
Your Childbearing Rights (http://www.childbirthconnection.org/...y.asp?ck=10084)
and most importantly around here....
CIMS info sheet on Hazards of Induction (http://www.motherfriendly.org/Downlo...fact-sheet.pdf)
I also have Motherwear catalogs that I get for free and give those

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page