Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2006, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Bah, you're only a $150k midwife, tops. :

well, fortunately that's all I'm charging you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After my birth, I am conviced my mw doesn't charge enough. After all, she did the work that at least 10 seperate people do for a mainstream birth:

Paperwork -- OB office staffer
Scheduling -- Another OB office staffer
Phone calls -- Another OB office staffer
Urine/blood pressure/weight -- OB office nurse or tech
Prenatal checks -- OB
FHT checks during labor -- L&D nurse
Helped me during labor/birth (aka delivery) -- OB again, perhaps a different on-call OB
Initial baby check -- pediatrician or pediatric nurse
Cleanup after the birth -- housekeeping/maintanence
Helping w/ breastfeeding -- hospital staff lactation consulant
Help with my first post-birth potty -- post-natal nurse
Advice on perineal care post-birth -- post natal nurse

And more I'm probably forgetting.

So I figure she should add up the hourly wage for each of those people, and that's what she should be paid... which is way more than the $1800 she charged me.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:56 PM

I agree, midwives should charge whatever they believe their services are worth, and that is going to be different for every midwife. I wish we all we able to comfortably support our familes, but we're not. Far from it. That's why most aspiring midwives who train/apprentice never end up practicing.

I know of a few midwives who do 5+ birth a month, solo. It's on the upper end of manageable, but can be done with organization, strong community support, and solid childcare.

I agree, a midwife who charges $4000 x 5 births a month is NOT making $240,000.

I was a student MW in an area where midwives charged $4,000 for care, and NO ONE was grossing $4000 a birth. Not even close!

I'm guessing you live in a regulated state? If so, insurance and medicaid are likely to be covering a portion (if not most) of the clients. As other posters mentioned, third party insurance pays whatever the heck they want, often HALF of what the midwife charges. In my state they pay ~$1,800. Medicaid typically pays between $1000-$2000. In addition, neither or insurance or medicaid will reimburse in the case of transfer, so you have to factor those in as well.

If practicing in an un-regulated state, I think it's unlikely *most* folks are will pay $4000 out-of-pocket for an unlicensed provider. In unregulated states midwives typically charge lower fees in my experience (~$2000). And again, most cash paying clients are not going to pay the full fee.

Then like others mentioned, overhead, insurance, advertising, taxes, billing, car and travel costs, etc.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:06 PM

I can tell you FOR SURE....that she is not making money hand over fist...
Taking the number of births a midwife does and multiplying it by what she charges may seem like a huge amount - but you cannot do that. There are too many hidden costs and pitfalls...
I have been a midwife for 23 years. I make less than the OB nurses at the local hospital, am on call 24/7 and then some, buy my own health insurance for myself and my children, struggle with not being able to buy malpractice (not available to home birth midwives), etc, etc.
PLUS - the women with medicare expect to me accept $900 for complete care and delivery, when my fee is $3000. They know that a homebirth is premium care, they get to choose how they birth, who is with them, etc.....
This next year I will no longer be accepting medicare payments. This decision was not entirely because of the $$ - there have been times when I was the ONLY provider in our area who would take it for OB services. I am cutting back in other areas too....
In answer to the previous TAX question - there is not only self-employment tax, but State Tax too.....my taxes total 28% of my taxable income !!! That is almost a THIRD. Not to mention it took me 6 years to pay off my school loans.....
Carla
Old 10-12-2006, 08:16 PM

She works completley alone? She does all the prenatals, billing, driving, etc.? My MW has an apprentice and an assistant. She charges MUCH less than what yours does, and has from2-4 clients per months.

User Tag List