Mothering Forum banner

How do you become a childbirth educator?

524 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  shelleyd 
#1 ·
Hi all-I'm a SAHM right now b/c of health issues, but I am considering seeking a part-time career either teaching a childbirth class or as a lactation consultant. If at all possible, I'd love to work with young/teen moms, because I was one, and want to to help provide support to them that they may not have access too. I know that when I was a teen mom I was just kind of "expected" to be mainstream and formula feed, have a medicated birth, ext. I was lucky enough to meet people who steered me in a different direction, but I can't help but think of the girls out there who may not know that they have options out there. I'd like to be able to provide that support, and let them know that they do have choices. As far as education goes, I have some college, and I want to go back and finish my degree, definately, hopefully through online classes with my local community college.

#2 ·
You can get in touch with places in your area that help teen Moms.

Anyone can teach childbirth classes. If you want to be a certified childbirth educator you'll need to go thru a program. And there are several out there. The one you choose depends on how/what you want to teach.

A few examples are:
Bradley
Lamaze
Passion For Birth
Birthing From Within
CAPPA
CBI

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.