Baby is almost 36 weeks and posterior - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a 2nd time mom and wondering how concerned I should be. I've been wondering if this babe is posterior (I'm short waisted, and I think DS *may* have been posterior and flipped late in the game, and with this babe I haven't been able to feel the back very much).

I had an appt yesterday and the midwife said the baby is pretty low, head down (which we knew) and posterior. She encouraged me to try some positioning stuff to "work on it."

The frustrating thing is that this pregnancy, I've been very cautious about avoiding lounging, reclining, I've been sitting upright, sitting on my birth ball, etc. (I'm a former physical therapist). I'm not sure how much more I can do??

I had a lot of contractions in my back for 3-4 weeks before I went into active labor with DS. They were intense...moreso than my regular contractions in active labor. My midwives didnt' think he was posterior (different practice at the time), but I think he may have been. However, I did dilate and efface early ( was 75 percent effaced and 2cm dilated 3-4 weeks before my EDD, and was 3cm for a few days before going into active labor). Would I have dilated that much in advance if DS was posterior? A week before he was born my contractions actually stopped...no more back pain and no more contractions until my water broke. I had an easy labor and delivery with him (6 hours for a 1st baby, and 20 mins of pushing).

I think from what I've read with 2nd time and subsequent pregnancies there's a better chance the baby will flip before or during labor.

How worried should I be? I'm going to work hard to get her flipped, but I'm a little concerned that she's stubbornly posterior despite the fact I've been working pretty well at positioning her this whole pregnancy.

I assume I'll feel a big movement if she does flip? I had a big strange movement with DS at one point and I think that's when he flipped (if he was really posterior to start).

Where should I feel kicks? I feel a lot on my right under my ribs (same with DS), and a lot of little feet poking out, which I guess could be part of her being posterior?

I also seem to have trouble emptying my bladder fully...I'm going waaaay more at night than I did with DS (no UTI), sometimes 5 mins after I just went.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 05:53 PM

I wouldn't be too worried. All you can do is try to get her to turn. Spend a lot of time on hands and knees. You can also talk to your baby and ask him/her to turn. Also, I belive there is a chiropractic adjustment to help them turn.
You still have 4 weeks until you are "due" so there is plenty of time. Even if she does end up posterior you can do it Mama!. My babe was posterior and born at home vaginally. It was hard work but totally worth it. I actually had no idea he was posterior until after he was born. I didn't even realize I was having "back labor".

Blessings to you and congrats on the upcoming addtion to your family.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:22 AM

Mamma,
You're only 36 weeks....alot of time between now and when you have your baby....remember, you could go to 42 weeks...that's almost 6 weeks!

I agree, hands & knees. My 2nd was posterior, it was a long labor with tough back labor, but you can do it. Change positions frequently and use gravity.

Good luck to you.

A.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:58 AM

I wouldn't worry OP babies are born all the time

I want to ask, though, what positions do you sleep in?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 11-12-2006, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone.

I'm working hard on positioning. I've been sitting as upright as possible, etc. in my car this whole pregnancy, but now I even have foam wedges in place to get me really upright and my knees lower than my hips. I've been doing small amounts of inversion on an ironing board and then immediately going to hands/knees positions. I've had DH try some Rebozo stuff with me. I'm trying really, really hard to get her to flip, but she just isn't as active as she was a week or two ago so it is tough to get her moving and she's apparently already pretty low.

I have an appt tomorrow w/ a Chiro that does Webster stuff. I'm hoping that helps a bit. I had a lot of sacro iliac pain during my pregnancy late in the 2nd trimester, but that's been better for a while now. Maybe things were out of whack enough during that time for her to settle into a posterior position though. I have symphysis pubis pain when I go from laying down to standing up, etc. so hopefully the chiro will help w/ that (recently read this can be related to babe being posterior. Another symptom I have is having to constantly pee...no UTI though. It isn't like it was with my DS...with him I was up 4x a night max. It is like I can't completely empty my bladder...I go and have to go again 5 mins later. I read this can be from the baby being posterior as well).

Oh, and I sleep most of the night on my left side, left leg straight, right leg flexed and knee touching the mattress. Sigh. I read that was a good positioning thing, I've been doing it since 20ish weeks. Babe is still posterior I do switch to my right side periodically but am mostly on my left. DS still nurses and he's on that side, so it is a good way to reinforce being on my left side.

Thanks again for the reassurance. I"m crossing my fingers she'll flip soon. DS was born a week before his EDD, but I was 3cm dilated a few days before that (not doing internals this time though). This babe may go late, but of course, she may go before my EDD too so I'm feeling pressed for time.

If anyone has any other advice, I'm all ears. I'm going to try to pick up some homeopathic pulsatilla this week.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:34 PM

Sometimes babies are posterior just because that's the best way for them to fit in the pelvis. Since your first may have been posterior too and that labor was fine I wouldn't worry too much. You know you are doing everything that allows a baby to assume an OA position. It's time to let your body and baby figure out the rest. (easier said than done- Relax)

~~a calm mind and easy labor vibes~~~

~laura
Old 11-13-2006, 12:20 AM

Lots of babies are posterier when labor begins and quickly change to to another position when the pressure is on.
I don't think the emphasis on position is always a positive thing. It has become such a source of fear and regret (especially after a tough labor). Can you give yourself permission to let it go?

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 11-14-2006, 12:03 PM

Oh Mama don't lose too much sleep over this, esp at this point... but I know if you have had previous posterior labor there can be a fair amt of anxiety going into labor again. Do you know a massage therapist who does cranio sacral work? This can be very helpful, esp the pelvic release that helps relax involuntary and deep muscle that is not reached simply by breathing technique. Might be worth a try and completely non-invasive.

Is there a pool you can swim in? This sometimes helps too, total submersion.

Other than that, set up excellent support for your labor. You want people who can understand that you have a body/emotional memory of a past hard labor and that you may be dealing with some anxiety when labor starts this time. My sis had a very prolonged medicated posterior labor with my nephew (47 hours, relentless pain). However my niece was born this Sunday morning and that labor was verrrry different. MUCH shorter and rolled right along, baby in a good postion and sister handled it naturally. We talked her thru it when her fear cropped up.

May I suggest Ina May's Guide to Childbirth? Just so excellent to put you in a good mindset, whatever may come. Good luck to you!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:31 PM

I forgot to say that my little guy was OP the whole time and I experienced NO back labor at all. One does not equal the other.

~laura
Old 11-14-2006, 12:35 PM

Chiropractors have great success at turning posterior and breech babes with the Webster Technique. If your pelvis or back isn't aligned correctly babe will stay persistently posterior or breech. My son was posterior from 30 weeks to 35 weeks- after 2 visits to the chiro he turned anterior and stayed that way the rest of my pregnancy. They say not to wait too late to go get adjusted because as the babe gets bigger there is less room for it to flip around easily.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 11-15-2006, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

I went to a chiro on Monday that does Webster. Her partner in the same practice is Webster certified...she's not, but unfortunately the Webster certified chiro is not taking new patients.

It didn't seem like it did that much. I guess I have to be patient. I go back tomorrow for another adjustment.

My labor w/ my DS was actually REALLY easy. 90 percent painless to mild cramping. I think he was posterior a few weeks beforehand and flipped but I'll never know. My midwives didn't think he was, but I had LOADS of back contractions. They were way worse than my contractions in active labor with him oddly enough. I felt a huge motion one night after working on positioning and I think he flipped then. THe only thing is that I was dilated 2cm 3-4 weeks before he was born. Would I have dilated so early if he was indeed posterior?

For me it isn't a past traumatic birth that makes it stressful...it is more that I had such an easy, fulfilling, amazing birth w/ DS that I'm worried this time won't live up to it or something (we went through infertility issues to conceive DS, and it was really healing to have an awesome, empowering birth with him. This baby was more of just a total surprise LOL.)

I've been working on hands/knees, using the birthing ball, doing some short periods of inversion, etc as much as possible. Staring homeopathic pulsatilla tonight. Adjustment tomorrow.

So far she's showing no signs of budging. Hopefully she'll rotate before or during labor. I'm trying not to stress...I swear, but it is soooooooooo hard for me not to.

My midwives have been commenting all along about how it is good I live near the birth center, etc. as my labor with DS was only 6 hours total. I feel like they jinxed me and now I'm going to have to juggle when to go in to the center....I don't want to labor for hours and hours and hours at the birth center, and I'm not quite ready for UC Having a posterior baby seems like it could make it harder to gauge when to go in. With DS, my water broke, contractions were 5 mins apart immediately. Hospital was almost an hour away, and since I was 3cm dilated 2-3 days before I went into active labor, my former midwife (different state) had me come in right away, so it was pretty clear cut

Deep breaths.

I guess I need to do a fear release from my hypnobirthing materials, eh?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcrunchie View Post
My labor w/ my DS was actually REALLY easy. 90 percent painless to mild cramping. I think he was posterior a few weeks beforehand and flipped but I'll never know. My midwives didn't think he was, but I had LOADS of back contractions. They were way worse than my contractions in active labor with him oddly enough. I felt a huge motion one night after working on positioning and I think he flipped then. THe only thing is that I was dilated 2cm 3-4 weeks before he was born. Would I have dilated so early if he was indeed posterior?

. . .

I guess I need to do a fear release from my hypnobirthing materials, eh?

Even if it might seem a little counterintuitive for you to dialate prelabor with an OP baby doen't mean you didn't or that it doesn't happen.

I am not incredibly familiar with hypnobirthing (but an considering it for this baby o mine) but yeah, that fear realease sounds PERFECT.

Good luck.
It'll be different.
As a friend told me last night ~even if it's "perfect" there'll be somthing you will have wished had happened differently~
Long also does not equal hard or bad.

I hope you get another great labor for you!

~laura
Old 11-15-2006, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance I'm going to do a fear release this weekend I think.

I had another chiro appt today, started pulsatilla last night. I see the midwives again tomorrow, although I'm 99 percent sure DD is still posterior. At least I can talk w/ them about it.

Still working hard at getting her to flip but she doesn't want to budge. I think maybe because she's quite low...the midwife said at my last appt she was low already.

I guess I need to let go of the pressure for things to be as perfect as they were for DS's birth and realize that this baby's birth will be perfect for HER
Old 11-15-2006, 07:39 PM

My DD was posterior the week before she was born. My first DD was OP and I had a very long back labor but she turned and it was fine.

This birth was almost completely painless as she turned at some point before labor- I guess!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:03 PM

Just because your particular chiropractor isn't Webster "certified" doesn't mean she can't do the technique. It's not difficult or complicated for a chiropractor to perform. The other doc in the practice should be able to explain it to her in a few minutes.

Being "certified" simply means that the doctor paid the ICPA money to have the training as part of a class and got a "certification."

I'm not certified, and I am well-trained in Webster. I'd be more than happy to explain/show it to any chiropractor. I'd wager that I could even explain it over the phone.

ETA: Ask your chiropractor to look into additional techniques from Dr. Carol Phillips. I find them to be very effective in helping a baby reposition herself.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
Old 11-20-2006, 01:13 AM

You mentioned your HypnoBirthing materials--do have someone lead you through a fear release...Good idea! Visualization can be powerful. Use self-hypnosis to deeply relax yourself and ONLY see your baby in anterior position. Do not even entertain thoughts of anything else!

Send loving, thankful thoughts to your baby for finding the perfect position for his/her entry into the world. See your labor the way you want it to happen.

User Tag List