OK for pg mama to take oregano oil? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-12-2006, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone I know takes oregano oil supplements to prevent colds/flu. She claims not to have had the flu in 5 years, the amount of time she's been supplementing. I'm due in early January, the height of flu season. I didn't get a flu shot because of the mercury. I don't always get the flu but when I do it is horrendous. I can't imagine having the flu and being at term, or in labor, or with a newborn. Is it safe for me to take? Currently 32-33 weeks along.
#2 of 12 Old 11-12-2006, 11:01 AM

Hi,
Most people use Oregano oil as an anti fungal; I'm not familiar with it being used for colds. There is the homeopathic remedy Oscillococcium you can use if you are starting to feel sick.

A strong immune system helps you fight colds and flu.
So continue to eat well, sleep, exercise, take your vitamins and have a positive optimistic outlook to life and you will do well this cold and flu season.
Most important Wash your hands frequently, and don't hang around people that are sick.

Women tend to take the best care of themselves during pregnancy and that strengthens your immune system.

Wishing you good health through out your pregnancy.
#3 of 12 Old 11-12-2006, 02:31 PM

I took oil of oregano while pregnant, including while in labor for prolonged rupture of membranes. My midwife was actually the one who recommended it.

I swear by the stuff now, I take it at first sign of any cold/flu symptoms.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#4 of 12 Old 11-12-2006, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
I took oil of oregano while pregnant, including while in labor for prolonged rupture of membranes. My midwife was actually the one who recommended it.

I swear by the stuff now, I take it at first sign of any cold/flu symptoms.
I didn't understand about the membranes. You took it because your membranes were not rupturing naturally and you were ready for them to... OR you took it to keep your membranes intact longer?
#5 of 12 Old 11-12-2006, 07:16 PM

i haven't had the flu since... ummmm 1993. that's 13 years. i still remember it, it was the fall i returned to graduate school. i wash my hands a lot in the winter, avoid big crowds of people, overheated places, eat well, get plenty of rest and exercise, and keep my house on the cool side. i drink 2000 mg of vitamin C each day and take fish oil and viamin D. when i'm not pregnant i sometimes take astragalus every day in the winter. i think that does a lot to boost my immune system. (pregnant women have super charged immune systems anyway)

i use zinc, oscillo, garlic and olive leaf extract when i get sick.

as far as oregeno oil goes, i have never ever heard it did anything for a virus or to boost the immune system. i know that it can be used to treat bacterial and fungal infections. and it's considered "the big guns." something to use when nothing else has helped. i would not consider it a preventative herb. and since cold and flu are caused by viruses, it doesn't seem like it would do much for flu season.

here's short article i found that was in "natural health" magazine:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...32/ai_91563260

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#6 of 12 Old 11-12-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
I didn't understand about the membranes. You took it because your membranes were not rupturing naturally and you were ready for them to... OR you took it to keep your membranes intact longer?
My membranes ruptured without labor starting. It was about 60 hours before my labor kicked in, so I was trying to prevent infection. My midwife recommended garlic/vitamin C/oil of oregano while we waited.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1011065609.htm

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#7 of 12 Old 11-12-2006, 09:32 PM
RAF

I wouldn't take oregano oil during pregnancy. I looked into it recently and found every source to say that it caused contractions. It is possible that only a high dose would cause problems, but it isn't a chance I am willing to take. I will be doing grapefruit seed extract instead, if I feel I need to try something for bacteria/viruses.
#8 of 12 Old 11-13-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I won't take it.
#9 of 12 Old 11-13-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF View Post
I wouldn't take oregano oil during pregnancy. I looked into it recently and found every source to say that it caused contractions. It is possible that only a high dose would cause problems, but it isn't a chance I am willing to take. I will be doing grapefruit seed extract instead, if I feel I need to try something for bacteria/viruses.
FYI, GFSE is only good for funguses and bacteria, not viruses. not much "kills" viruses, since they aren't "alive" in the classical sense anyway.

olive leaf extract with lemon balm has been shown to have antiviral properties in the body.

it is really good for strep and thrush though.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#10 of 12 Old 11-13-2006, 02:05 PM

There are a number of essential oils that are antiviral. The two that stand out most to me are peppermint and tea tree. I know that some people have concerns about peppermint during pg, but I'm not sure what the concensus is about tea tree. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks.
#11 of 12 Old 11-14-2006, 12:31 AM

I am cautious about essential oil use during pregnancy, with the exception of lavender and clary sage as aromatherapy agents (externally).

I agree that it is overall healthy bodies and immune systems that deflect flu, not any particular supplement. Lots of rest, hand washing, and a healthful balanced diet and exercise (good circulation of all systems including lymphatic), maybe some Vit C daily if you want. Big green salads, fresh fruit, adequate protein, and no packaged or processed crap. These are healthy preventives that everyone can do, and are safe and even beneficial for pregnancy and Life, no side effects except radiant health!
#12 of 12 Old 11-14-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabo View Post
There are a number of essential oils that are antiviral. The two that stand out most to me are peppermint and tea tree. I know that some people have concerns about peppermint during pg, but I'm not sure what the concensus is about tea tree. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks.

i have read that these both have antiviral properties in the test tube, but aren't much help once the viruses have entered the body's cells and are reproducing.

i do know that pepermint oil is contraindictaed for pregnancy, but TTO is safe for topical use and vaginally too. you can gargle with it also if you have bad bleeding from the gums or strep throat. (or thrush in the mouth)

HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page