Midwives - help a single mom be a midwife! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-12-2006, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all. I'm looking for education guidance here. I had been planning to enter a graduate-entry CNM program, as I should be finishing up my BA in Women's Studies in spring 2008. Now that STBX and I are divorcing, I'm going to be a single mom. All the grad-entry programs I can find require you to be full-time at least for the RN portion and highly recommend not working. I chose to pursue the CNM path because of the stability, the greater flexibility, and the extended legality. I also wanted to be able to make a difference in the births of women who choose a hospital birth, as most women do. I believe all women deserve a beautiful birth, no matter where it happens.

Anyway, is this going to be doable as a single mom? If I got accepted to a program, how would I be able to pay the rent, the bills, buy food? Does anyone know of a grad-entry program that has a part-time option for the whole thing, or a work-study option? I'm willing to relocate anywhere and I'm not too proud to go on public assistance if I need to. I just don't know if I'll qualify for public assistance since I'll have an AA and a BA, even as a single mom and a full-time student. Is it possible to work, even with these full-time programs? When I was in college before I married, I worked full-time and went to school full-time and did just fine. Would it be totally impossible once you add patient care plans, studying, and homework in there?

It makes me want to cry just to think about putting off midwifery school for a single year - I want it so badly! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 4 Old 11-13-2006, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi...
I completed Midwifery School while I was a single parent. It wasn't easy, but I did it. I did rely on family help, financial help and a lot of hard work.
Rather then go into all the details, you are welcome to email me....but I encourage you to follow your path.
Good luck,
Carla
#3 of 4 Old 11-14-2006, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I could rely on family, but the closest school to my hometown is 2 1/2 hours, and that's one of the ones that says you absolutely CAN NOT work during the first two years of the program. So it looks like I'll be halfway across the country somewhere. I'm willing to work my butt off for this, though!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#4 of 4 Old 11-14-2006, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Generally people in professional school will have the option of taking out Stafford loans, Perkins loans and if necessary, private loans to pay tuition, fees, and other expenses including living expenses.

When you get into your program, you will start with your school's financial aid package and go from there.

In light of this, you may want to consider, as you choose a school, schools with benefits for students with families (E.g., is the university subsidized day care available to students, or just employees?). And, you will want to consider what schools will have lower local costs of living in terms of keeping your loans to a minimum.

You may very well be able to qualify for public assistance and other low income programs, like YMCA programs for your kids, while you are in school.

I would think the schools you may apply to would also have information on whether the military would pay for you to get your degree if you agreed to serve a certain number of years, or whether the Public Health Service program could also help fund your education.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page