ACOG statement on home birth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 11-14-2006, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, if word got out that OBs were not necessary for normal birth, they'd be out of a job.

Thanks, but I'll stay at home.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#32 of 42 Old 11-14-2006, 04:56 PM

First--it doesn't matter what the statistics are or the studies show, mothers still have the right to decide where and with whom they give birth, (and of course they are wrong about the evidence)
and second--it's time for Moms to get really mad again. The problem is that the midwives are mostly carrying the political ball here, and we are busy midwifing! Moms have their babies and wander off to mother--til their next baby.
Third--its so very clever of them to not say you can't have your baby out of hospital--just that they will nail anyone who tries to help you. But they are SO worried about your safety.
fourth--you can have an on-demand section tho--I guess there's great research --no--rigorous research to support that?
af
Kip
www.greenhousebirthcenter.com
#33 of 42 Old 11-14-2006, 06:54 PM

Kip, it is so great to see you on MDC!
A voice of reason and long experience.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#34 of 42 Old 11-14-2006, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprown@mac.com View Post
Becki--Do you know if the ACNM has been working with NARM on preparingn their response to the statement?

Katie Prown
Legislative Chair
Wisconsin Guild of Midwives
From what I'm hearing, both MANA and AABC have been involved.
#35 of 42 Old 11-15-2006, 12:59 AM

I think my favorite part of the statment is this:

Quote*****
For these reasons, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) believes that the hospital, including a birthing center within a hospital complex, that conforms to the standards outlined by American Academy of Pediatrics and ACOG,1 is the safest setting for labor, delivery, and the immediate postpartum period.

Well duh! We set the standard of care, and we have a duty to protect those hospitals that pay us big $$ for licensing OUR standard of care!

ACOG is trying to protect it's own interests in licensing their "standard" as well as protect the doctors who are members. Not to mention, taking aim at the insurance companies, some of which DO reimburse for midwifery care.
#36 of 42 Old 11-15-2006, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't read the other posts, so sorry if I'm repeating, but this is what I see when I read that statement:

Quote:
We at ACOG know that if you choose to birth at home or in unaffiliated birth centers, we will lose money on the interventions and C-sections you would be pressured to have. We want to encourage you to birth in hospitals so we can continue to get as much money as we can.
If that's not a conflict of interest, I don't know what is!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#37 of 42 Old 11-15-2006, 06:41 PM

As a mama that had a (overall good experience with midwife-attended) hospital birth with my first, and is now planning on a FSBC birth with #2, what can I do to help? I'd love to have a homebirth one day, but the FSBC route was the best for us this time around for financial and other reasons.

Who do I have weight with? Who do I write? Our FSBC is well loved in the community, and the thought of that option not being available makes me want to cry for all of the women like myself that for various reasons need that option avaiable, as well as the option of homebirth.

I love to advocate, to write letters...I just want to know where to direct my energy most effectively at present (I'll be 37 weeks pregnant tomorrow so I'm running out of energy LOL).

Please let those of us that would like to speak up for our midwives and our choices know where to best direct our efforts, please.
#38 of 42 Old 11-15-2006, 06:56 PM

Grrrrr.....:

Even if it were "safer" to be in a hospital, that is not the ONLY concern with women like me who choose to homebirth!!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#39 of 42 Old 11-15-2006, 08:45 PM

Check out the OBGYN.net forum for the discussion on it. There is a doctor who assisted in the verbage and doesn't much enjoy being challenged on his "feeling" that this is correct but dismisses other opinions that might be "emotionally" based. Ha! His feeling is not an emotion apparently.

If you need a link to it, PM me I don't want to violate the link-up rule to another forum.
#40 of 42 Old 11-16-2006, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromidwife View Post
Check out the OBGYN.net forum for the discussion on it. There is a doctor who assisted in the verbage and doesn't much enjoy being challenged on his "feeling" that this is correct but dismisses other opinions that might be "emotionally" based. Ha! His feeling is not an emotion apparently.

If you need a link to it, PM me I don't want to violate the link-up rule to another forum.
Ok, I feel a lot more enlightend now. One of the policy authors is from my home state where we came dangerously close to passing a bill legalizing DEM's last year. He states that this new policy is in response to such initiatives. Got it. I'm guessing next year they are hoping this will silence those OB's who embarassed the AMA by testifying in favor of the bill last year. Very nice.

OK, just since this has me so down, want a laugh? The AMA sent a professional lobbyist to testify against the bill. After issuing all these dire predictions of dead babies, dead mothers, and so on....

A committee member said 'Do you have any studies to support these contentions?'

Silence.

"Um, no."

"Thank you, that will be all."

I can only hope that the legislators will be that sharp in the upcoming session!
#41 of 42 Old 11-21-2006, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

For those interested, the ACNM published a response today cosigned by a variety of organizations, including MANA.

http://www.acnm.org/education.cfm?id=1005
#42 of 42 Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 PM

Of COURSE they oppose. Midwives attend homebirths, not Ob/gyn's. The more women who birth at home, the more power, control, and money ob/gyn's lose! If all women birthed at home that's more than half of their practice/duties/income, gone out the window! They'd have no women left on whom to perform unnecessary C-sections!

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page