What does Doula MEAN! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2003, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so IN know what a doula is and does. But where did the name come from, and what does it mean? I have told DH that I might want one. But he thinks the name is too wierd and "new age" and wants to know where it came from and what the meaning of it is.

I have asked a few doulas and NONE have replied.

Can someone PLEASE help me!

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2003, 06:36 PM

This is from the book "Mothering the Mother" by Klaus, Kennell and Klaus. Its a wonderful book about how a doula can help you have a shorter, easier and healthier birth. Great reading!

Anyways, it says "Doula is a Greek word referring to an experienced woman who helps other women. The word has now come to mean a woman experienced in childbirth who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after childbirth".

Doula isn't a new word. Women have been helping women in labor and in birth for thousands of years. Its only recently that pregnancy and childbirth was viewed as a medical condition and was taken out of the homes and into hospitals. I would again recommend that book and also "The Birth Partner" to help explain what a doula does or can do for you during your pregnancy, childbirth and post-partum.

Hope this helps~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Old 04-22-2003, 06:42 PM

Just wanted to add that you might want to interview doulas and have your dh come along.

Again good luck~

Lisa

Old 04-23-2003, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Lisa thank you OH SO much! You don't know just HOW much this means to me to FINALLY have this answered!

Thanks again! I will check out those books too!

BTW - how much does a doula usually cost? My friend actually got one for FREE, cause she is new, or has not helped delivered many babies, something like that! But not sure DH would go for one that is "learning".

Melinda
Old 04-23-2003, 06:55 PM

Costs vary. Depends on location, experience, etc. Some doulas have a sliding fee scale, some doulas in training don't or can't charge and some charge anywhere from $150-350.00.

If you have any other questions, please feel free and ask.

Good Luck~

Lisa

Old 04-24-2003, 02:58 PM

I wanted to add that experienced doulas in my part of the country charge from $350-$600...and the cost of living here is really, really low. I know doulas charge twice that in other places.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
Old 04-24-2003, 02:59 PM

We hired a doula in Northern NJ and she cost $800. It was a lot of money (we paid in installments) and worth every penny.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

WOW! that is alot. I think we might just pass. They sound great and all, but we don't have that kinda cash. And Insurance in our area does not cover them. Not to mention, DH is not keen on the idea anyway. OH well! Thanks for the info on them!

Melinda
Old 04-29-2003, 10:47 PM

IMO, a good doula is worth her weight in gold.

Most folks spend quite a bit more on their weddings.

Some doulas offer a sliding fee scale (you pay what you can afford) & some doulas attend their certifying births for free. It might be something worth looking into.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
Old 04-30-2003, 01:40 AM

This is kind of an afterthought, but anyway to add just a teency bit to the semantics that have already been discussed, the word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek word doulos, which literally translated means "servant".

User Tag List