Cord bands - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have seen cord bands around and they seem interesting, but Iam looking into the ones that you use hemos to appy them. Have you used them, what are your thoughts good or bad, and were have you bought them? Thanks ladies.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

#2 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 05:43 PM

I've used them. They're available at all the major birth supply stores, so they are just in my birth kit at www.inhishands.com. I love 'em. I've been putting two in each birth kit just in case I break one, but I have yet to break one, so I'm going to change the birth kit amount to one and carry a spare just in case. It's a good idea to practice first if you don't have any experience with a cordbander, but if you know the principle of the cordbander, this is the same concept (just cheaper!!).

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#3 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 06:22 PM

My midwife used one, I loved it! My dd's stump fell of at 5 days. It was so much nicer to put her in onsies at 5 days, instead of like with my ds 14 days before it fell off.

ETA: we didn't put ANYTHING on dd's cord, not even goldenseal which I have heard recommended over and over.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#4 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 07:00 PM

I have used both and it is even up for me. Once you buy the hemostat w/ cord bander you are set for about 100 births because it comes with a pack of bands.
The individually packaged bands, the ones with the little tabs cost more but you won't need the cord banding hemostat thingy. When I got mine I think it worked out a bit cheaper to get the hemostat thingy with the bands. Additional packs of the bands are a lot cheaper than continuing to buy the bands with tabs.
Then there is also the environmental question of having to clip off the extra tab and throw it in the garbage.
They both work about the same, but financially and environmentally I prefer the cord bander/hemostat.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#5 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 PM

Yeah, I guess the cost of the second hemostat didn't figure in for me because DH got it for free. And I have my clients buy them in the birth kit. I've used a cordbander (not mine) and I have a heck of a time with those itty bitty rubberbands. Reminds me of my orthodontic days!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#6 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 10:07 PM

I've used them and like them a lot. I despise the clamps, they're big and intrusive.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#7 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 11:30 PM

i absolutely hate cord clamps. it (along with suctioning and hats) is one of my pet peeves. i cannot believe mw's use them. i used string with both of my births, but at the birth center i work at we use bands with a bander. it is so easy- we clamp the cord with a yucky plastic clamp, but we leave it long- maybe 6-12 inches?? this way we can clamp the cord when mom/baby are ready but we dont have to really bother them to do it. when we do the newborn exam we trim it up with a bander.
'

the banders are kind of expensive though, and if i was in solo practice i would probably just use a kelly. you slip the band maybe 3/4 way down the kelly, and then clamp the cord with it, and use another kelly to grab the band and slide it over the cord. almost as easy as the bander, really.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#8 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 11:45 PM

I use the Averbach (sp?) cord bander I bought from Cascade. It might be cheaper if you buy it from a vet supply in it's other use... a sheep castrator! I know of a client who did that sort of thing in another life and knew the tool well
#9 of 9 Old 11-15-2006, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've used them. I also have a cordbander in one of my instrument packs. I always have two packs, so for the one that doesn't have the bander, I use those. Well, that is until I ran out of them. I can also use two hemostats with my regular bands for the bander and make it work.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page