Supplies for student midwife - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2006, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am no where near ready for an apprenticeship, in fact I am just starting my academics, and I plan to take it slow and really get the most out of my journey...but I would like to start collecting some supplies so that I am more useful to a potential future preceptor, and also because I know it will take me time to aquire things (cause I'm broke! ) so here is my question to those of you who are midwives: What kind of stuff would your 'ideal' apprentice already posses as far as supplies? What would you consider basic? If you are a student midwife and have any insight, that would be great too! Thanks

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 12:22 AM

I started collecting things before I was a student as an assistant in a birth center. I had my own stethoscope for adult and baby, BP cuff, and fetoscope. Then I watched eBay and bought things like forceps (sponge, tweezer type), scissors (variety), hemostats (never used them yet!). Then as a student I acquired more things like doppler, oxygen tanks, herbs, homeopathics, metal specula.

Most of the midwifery texts will have that authors' dream list of supplies. Check them out and prioritize it for yourself (cheapest to most expensive or something like that).
Old 11-26-2006, 12:28 AM

a blood pressure cuff (preferably 2, one in adult size, one size large adult), basic inexpensive allen-type fetoscope, stethescopes (adult size and newborn size), gestational calculator wheel (I got mine free), retractable tape measure.

I think those are the basics for a beginning apprentice (at least, that is what I have so far, have been apprenticing for 8 months now).

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife

User Tag List