Hymenal Ring? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-02-2006, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After birthing my first DD I thought i grew a penis immediately post partum...no kidding. My midwife said that my hymenal ring was really swollen and enlarged and hanging out of my body. I took Arnica for the swelling and bruising (I also tore) and she told me the swelling would go downa dn it would suck back up. So wat exactly is a hymenal ring??? I have never found any info on it and have always been curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-02-2006, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
did you look at it with a mirror?

a hymenal ring is a ring of tissue inside your labia and inside your vaginal canal but just a short distance inside the vaginal canal it usually looks a bit lumpy/not perfectly smooth-- I am having a hard time imagining it swelling and prolapsing out like a penis-- but I guess anything is possible-
#3 of 5 Old 12-02-2006, 09:19 PM

Hi...
Do you ever use Wikipedia?
It has a great definition of "hymen"...along with a picture showing it with respect to other anatomy.
You can do a google search to find it.....
Carla
#4 of 5 Old 12-03-2006, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't see it with a mirror and it may have felt bumpy vs smooth - I really don;t remember that. I just remember being very concerned about it and I have been wondering if it will happen again - especially with twins....
I'll check out that site -

Thanks!
#5 of 5 Old 12-03-2006, 01:57 AM

The hymen usually has remnants in an adult woman in a ring around the entrance to the vagina. It often looks like irregular bits of tissue - but you can usually pretty clearly see a whole ring of tissue around the opening. It is a landmark used when doing a vaginal repair, too. I have only occasionally seen bad swelling like you describe - usually in folks who pushed a long time and often in women who had epidurals and lots of IV fluids, but occasionally it happen spontaneously. I don't think it usually re-occurs. Sometimes I'll see fragments of the hymenal ring that swell amazingly, but they usually get better in a few days. Sitz baths, and resting a little in knee-chest several times a day seem to help.

User Tag List